Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2007, 02:31 PM

Default Re: Free Weights vs Machines

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, you are totally clueless, especially since you think your good genes and strong muscles have anything to do with the quality of fitness knowledge you dispense (or lack thereof).

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-29-2007, 02:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

"[F]ree weights require the help of a spotter, and result in more injuries than machines." LINK

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you [censored] kidding me? Did anyone click on that? Never post a garbage, fluff-piece link like that again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, yes I was in a hurry, so I found something that expressed my concern and linked it.

[ QUOTE ]
If you don't know proper technique, go to http://www.amazon.com/Starting-Stren.../dp/0976805405 and buy "Starting Strength" by Mark Rippetoe

[/ QUOTE ]

This book looks good and I've actually heard of it before somehow. I'll pick it up today.

If you "Search Inside" for "why barbells" there is a pretty scathing review of machines, and why they are so promoted in gyms.
Old 03-29-2007, 02:36 PM

TimM, it totally makes sense why fitness clubs devote 90% of their space to machines. If everyone knew that the best way to work out was with free weights, we'd have everyone setting up barbell/power rack equipment in their house for the price of a year-long gym membership. Unfortunately I'm young and have no free space [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 03-29-2007, 02:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I personally prefer free weights with a couple machines for hard to work muscle groups. But there is nothing at all wrong with using machines for everything

[/ QUOTE ]

Did everyone miss that part of my original reply? I was just giving advice to the OP who is over 40 and has knee problems. Free weights are probably not the best idea for him. He isn't training for any physical competitions.
Old 03-29-2007, 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I personally prefer free weights with a couple machines for hard to work muscle groups. But there is nothing at all wrong with using machines for everything

[/ QUOTE ]

Did everyone miss that part of my original reply? I was just giving advice to the OP who is over 40 and has knee problems. Free weights are probably not the best idea for him. He isn't training for any physical competitions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your advice makes good sense for OP. My post was meant to address the issue of free weights vs machines in general. I think another good alternative for OP to consider is doing free weight exercises at low intensity, higher volume. This would allow him to get used to the form, get a good cardiovascular workout (he is trying to lose weight), and it would importantly increase his flexibility and balance (stabilizing muscles) more than using machines, which has longterm benefits.
Old 03-29-2007, 03:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Simple ass-to-grass squats

[/ QUOTE ] this is exactly what I was talking about, doing anything past a 90degree angle causes serious injury and doesn't help any muscle group.

Everyone must have missed the part I was saying of using several machines to isolate several muscles. If someone wanted to set up a prop bet of some kind where someone just used free weights for 3-4 months and I just used machines and after the time we both maxxed out on free weights before and after I am 99% sure I would win.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is really, really terrible advice. Deep squats are incredibly beneficial.
Old 03-29-2007, 03:55 PM

FWIW a lot of the exercises that some PT recommends create a lot of shearing forces in the knee. Leg extensions notably.
Old 03-29-2007, 05:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So what? If he is going to spend x amount of time in the gym anyway, he might as well spend that time optimally, ie using free weights. His age is irrelevant and his knee injury may or may not be relevant.
Old 03-29-2007, 05:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So what? If he is going to spend x amount of time in the gym anyway, he might as well spend that time optimally, ie using free weights. His age is irrelevant and his knee injury may or may not be relevant.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree 110%, I'm 47, off and on have knee issues. I find that when I'm doing "rational" squats I have less problems with my legs. The only real difference is weights that use to take a month to hit, I might be 3 months in before I can go that hard and in general I don't hit the peaks, but that's just as much a factor as taking breaks from the program. You just have to listen to your body and follow sound basics. I'd much prefer to do squats with bad knees than do leg ext.
Old 03-30-2007, 11:11 PM

OK so I ordered Starting Strength, should get it in time for my Foxwoods trip and week off from the gym, after which I can revamp my training. And of course I will be careful...

I tried doing a few squat motions with no weight. The first one did hurt a little in the left knee, but I tried working on the form and it seemed OK. I'm guessing the knee injury came from years of bowling a dozen league games a week, plus practice, while being over 270lbs. The left is my slide foot. It flared up once about 7 or 8 years ago, I could barely walk or even bend it enough to get into my car. I went to an ER and they took X-rays and found nothing wrong, of course. Since then it's been OK but of course I worry about any mild pain in that knee. Squats on a machine have been fine, so I probably just need to keep correct form as mentioned.

The dumbbells are one interesting idea as I had a full set at home for a few years. I sold them when I joined the gym; they were just too much of a pain in the ass to use and store in my small apartment, partly because I had to keep them in one room and work out in another. So I am already familiar with dumbbell bench presses and shoulder presses. Do you guys recommend this or sticking with the barbell?