Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What % of bankroll should I be willing to spend?
2% 8 10.81%
5% 16 21.62%
10% 20 27.03%
25% 3 4.05%
50% 2 2.70%
100% 25 33.78%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-27-2007, 06:45 PM

Default Re: Is This Cheating?

what if someone has a tell where they tap their left foot on their chair leg every time they have a big hand. you are sitting on their left and are the only person at the table who can see the tell. is it unethical to exploit this without notifying the table?
Old 03-27-2007, 07:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what if someone has a tell where they tap their left foot on their chair leg every time they have a big hand. you are sitting on their left and are the only person at the table who can see the tell. is it unethical to exploit this without notifying the table?

[/ QUOTE ]

This could go on and on:

I have a lucky card protector, a sure-fire guaranty that I'll be a winner everytime. Is it cheating if I bring it on every occasion? So far I only use it once in a while because I've felt guilty.
Old 03-27-2007, 07:23 PM

i watch people muck their cards if i notice they tend to flash cards as they do it. if i think somebody else can see it but i cant, i will let the person know to keep the cards down.
i watch old people shuffle their hole cards when they tilt them like 45degrees flashing both. if i cant see them but think somebody else can, i tell them to keep em down.ive also not said anything and changed seats asap so i could see better.
when the dealer is hand shuffling i watch and catch the bottom few cards and try to follow them through the shuffle.
i look to the right to watch the action and watch peoples hands during the game (not to see their cards) and if i happen to catch a glimpse of their cards because they are dumb, so be it.
am i a cheater?
Old 03-27-2007, 07:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i watch people muck their cards if i notice they tend to flash cards as they do it. if i think somebody else can see it but i cant, i will let the person know to keep the cards down.

[/ QUOTE ]

What's the matter with you? Were you always picked last during recess or something?
Old 03-27-2007, 08:33 PM

68 people (71% so far) have voted that this is not cheating. Yet not a single person responded to my question (in another thread) about the best method to keep your cards concealed. I went through an experiment and realized that even when I try very very hard to conceal my cards, someone sitting to my left with their head further back than mine will be able to see my cards. Now I guess 70% of the players out there will take every opportunity to take advantage of this, and not let me know when they saw my cards. What a friggin awesome way to play this game. Pathetic.
Old 03-27-2007, 08:35 PM

It's your job to cover your cards.. If I can see your cards, thats not my problem.. And I will use it to my advantage..
Old 03-27-2007, 08:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I went through an experiment and realized that even when I try very very hard to conceal my cards, someone sitting to my left with their head further back than mine will be able to see my cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry. You may be trying very hard, but you are doing something very, very wrong if that is true.
Old 03-27-2007, 08:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I went through an experiment and realized that even when I try very very hard to conceal my cards, someone sitting to my left with their head further back than mine will be able to see my cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry. You may be trying very hard, but you are doing something very, very wrong if that is true.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's what I do. I cup the cards in both hands and then lift the left inside corner slightly off the felt (approx 1/8 inch or so). I spread the cards apart slightly with my right thumb concealing the corner of the cards. I make sure that the "tunnel" formed by my cupped hands is pointing directly at my right eye, lean down and forward slightly and quickly uncover my thumb.

Done right, I barely get a good look at the cards, and in order for someone else to see them, they would need to be in the line of sight from the corner of my cards to my right eye, which is difficult because their view would be blocked by my head.

And yes, I am paranoid.
Old 03-27-2007, 08:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
68 people (71% so far) have voted that this is not cheating. Yet not a single person responded to my question (in another thread) about the best method to keep your cards concealed. I went through an experiment and realized that even when I try very very hard to conceal my cards, someone sitting to my left with their head further back than mine will be able to see my cards. Now I guess 70% of the players out there will take every opportunity to take advantage of this, and not let me know when they saw my cards. What a friggin awesome way to play this game. Pathetic.

[/ QUOTE ]

You really can't keep your neighbors from seeing your cards even if they're trying to?

Make a cup (a cave, a hill) out of both of your hands. Place the 'cup' over the top half of the cards. Bend your head forward and lift up the cards just enough for you to see them.

There! That is the 'nuclear option' of looking at your cards. Also, look to either side to see if any of the vermin are trying to see your cards! I've mocked people for far less. Lastly, sitting next to the dealer will eliminate half of the problem and will allow you to try and see the cards during a hand shuffle ala some guy above. BTW: That won't work w/ a decent dealer.

As far as your original question you'll notice how many people said they'd give one warning. That's because they are ethical, people w/ a conscience. They don't feel bad for the person showing the cards. To heck w/ him! He only gets one warning. They feel slightly foul because they are taking advantage of everybody else though no so foul (usually) that they will give more than one warning. We are not saints, after all. You don't really have to say anything because it's the other players responsibility to protect his cards.

I wish I could state w/ certainty that it was Mason Malmuth who said something along the lines of 'When I'm asked by a new player what's the most important thing he should know I tell him it's to not let his neighbor see his cards.' SOME noted poker author said that and, IIRC, it was MM but google isn't finding it for me.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's your job to cover your cards.. If I can see your cards, thats not my problem.. And I will use it to my advantage..

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, what is the matter with you people?

You're not giving any equity away by giving someone fair warning (i.e., telling them once) and you may very well be making them feel better about playing with you.

No one is asking for a handicap in these games, they'll sit and play with you even though you may be far better, and you feel the need to jump over something like this is an opportunity to exploit?

Sad.