Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2007, 10:19 AM

Default Re: Matusow on HSP, \"lost 1.7 mil straight\"

Aba/durr/antonious etc etc all definitely have over 1M.

Poo head
Old 03-21-2007, 10:23 AM

He may be right, look at this dude no one mentions
Player Won Sessions Hands Hours
hcdnttb $531.835,90 118 13179 97.29
Old 03-21-2007, 10:32 AM

"Poker is a still a fking game, not a job"

Being someone who works for a living, and plays poker recreationally, I'll disagree categorically with that.

1) The tax man certainly considers it a job

2) Anyone who has the discipline to play 8 hours of poker a day, winning poker, with no tilt, has the skill sets that just about any office person has to sit and do power point presentations and the like. If playing poker professionaly isn't a job, then neither is 3/4 of what constitutes stock trading, for example. Each person puts in the most education into the field as possible, and then relies on a certain degree of timing and luck to maximize profit.
Old 03-21-2007, 10:35 AM

Reading the section here about Matusow's personal life here makes me almost feel sorry for him:

http://encycl.opentopia.com/term/Mike_Matusow

Almost!
Old 03-21-2007, 10:41 AM

I laughed pretty hard at this

[ QUOTE ]
In 2001, he made the final table at the WSOP $10,000 no limit Hold 'em main event, before being eliminated in 6th place. Matusow claims that the decisive hand was when he had A♥ 2♥ and was raised all-in by eventual champion Juan Carlos Mortensen. Matusow claims he knew Mortensen was bluffing but was unable to call the bet, folded, and was infuriated when Mortensen eventually showed Q8 offsuit. This went on to aggravate Matusow for the next six months.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-21-2007, 11:02 AM

apefish wins this thread
thehabit loses it.
Old 03-21-2007, 11:25 AM

"Matusow has a lifetime membership at the Olympic Gardens strip club."

Didn't know there was such a thing.
Old 03-21-2007, 11:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Listening to Matusow talk about losing money is like listening to a hooker talk about losing her virginity. You expect it to be interesting- but all you end up thinking is God I'm glad I'm not you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Genius
Old 03-21-2007, 11:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Also in september, he had almost 2 million, early October, he's borrowing 100k off Negreanu to play in HSP3. Gross ...

[/ QUOTE ]

He's a Stu Ungar without any talent.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's amazingly talented at finding constant places to borrow. Despite all Ungar's ability it sounds like he was pretty much cut off by almost everyone and living on skid row.

Mike's in Monte Carlo one week,LA the next. It's amazing people keep lending to him when eventually the pyramid scheme that is his life will eventually cave in and multiple lenders will get stuck really bad. He has to owe so much money it's mind boggling, and I bet no one knows the real amount or to how many but him. His occasional tourney hits and endorsment deals, which have to be dwindling in post uigea poker,are so small in comparison to the amount he loses online,spends traveling and entering tourneys, and blows on sportsbetting.

I really believe his debt may get so large that eventually it all comes crashing down and he ends up hustling stakes at the Bellagio to play 2-5 nl. I hope not because he's likeable, but even a player with his popularity can't sustain the losses and lifestyle that he has.

[/ QUOTE ]

On Stu's behalf, I have to set the record straight. In his earlier days people would fight over who was going to back him in tournaments. He made a lot of money for a lot of people back then. Throughout the 90's many people started to turn their backs on him because his drug addiction was becoming worse. Instead of making his backers money, he was using that money to buy drugs. People turned their backs on him at this point not only because it was a waste of money, but most were his friends and did not wish to support this habit. During short stints when he showed he could beat the drug addiction, he was always able to find a backer. Do not compare Matusow to Ungar, thats just disgraceful.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
interesting that you should point out that mike matusow is a catalyst for games. id like to elaborate on that because its something that i have been thinking about the past few days. when a huge fish comes into town to play a game, especially a non-holdem game, not only is he going to drop alot of money, but alot of people are going to play in the game who have no idea what theyre doing just because the fish is there. this past week at commerce ive seen it happen multiple times. ive been in the best stud8 game ive ever been in 3 times this week because someone was the catalyst. if i thought it was highly likely id get the money back from the catalyst, id lend him the money to play to get all those other people in the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, in Ace on the River Greenstein talks of catalysts:

"Most poker games are dependant on a few action players with whom others like to play. Usually, catalysts are big losers with a large source of money, but occasionally they are winning players who give a lot of action."

That was the first time i heard of the term (fwiw, i really like Ace on the River) and it seems MM fits right into that catagory - so much so that players line up to lend him cash just so he stays in the game - but at the same time there is little evidence anyone goes long without being repaid and it would appear he is a long term poker winner who is simply a sports betting degen with no sense of bankroll management.

I laughed when Laak advised him to grind the 25/50 NL games at the Bellagio as a great way for him to make cash, when it seems Mike has no interest in a game unless its the biggest game he can buy into at the time.