Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2007, 10:15 AM

Default Re: 50nl FTP - Reraised pot, but he checks behind flop?

I thought about betting the turn a little more:
If you call his preflop reraise because you assume that you can stack him EVERY TIME you flop a set, that implies that you assume that villain will have a hand that he won't be able to get away from. If you didn't assume that, you couldn't call for set value here. So betting on the turn is bad, because it contradicts your basic assumption that villain will have a hand that he can't let go. So you could see the turn bet as a value bet against AK. But is his range that tight? Certainly not. So either you shouldn't bet that turn or you should be a little more honest about the reason you called. I think, it's kind of a big assumption that you can stack villain every time when you don't even know him. So that call is probably more a mixture of "ZOMG WTF that donkey shortstack minreraised me!!!!11! I call!" and rationalization afterwards. Because I think you are quite right that your fold equity against a short stack that reraises you preflop is pretty slim when you don't hit your set. This is not an accusation. But you need to be honest to yourself to improve your game. I actually think you should fold to his reraise preflop because villain is too short (I know that everyone will hate me for it. Then again I read the microbrew and don't really care... Edit: [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]).
Old 03-21-2007, 10:26 AM

Raising 33 from OOP makes me want to hang myself....you will get a caller a majority of the time. They will either have overcards or float your c-bet with a PP higher than yours (aka you have zero showdown value).

The value obtained from playing a limped pot with a set is greater than the value of trying to "steal" OOP in my experience.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I thought about betting the turn a little more:
If you call his preflop reraise because you assume that you can stack him EVERY TIME you flop a set, that implies that you assume that villain will have a hand that he won't be able to get away from. If you didn't assume that, you couldn't call for set value here. So betting on the turn is bad, because it contradicts your basic assumption that villain will have a hand that he can't let go. So you could see the turn bet as a value bet against AK. But is his range that tight? Certainly not. So either you shouldn't bet that turn or you should be a little more honest about the reason you called. I think, it's kind of a big assumption that you can stack villain every time when you don't even know him. So that call is probably more a mixture of "ZOMG WTF that donkey shortstack minreraised me!!!!11! I call!" and rationalization afterwards. Because I think you are quite right that your fold equity against a short stack that reraises you preflop is pretty slim when you don't hit your set. This is not an accusation. But you need to be honest to yourself to improve your game. I actually think you should fold to his reraise preflop because villain is too short (I know that everyone will hate me for it. Then again I read the microbrew and don't really care... Edit: [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]).

[/ QUOTE ]
QFT first part [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Preflop call is close but doable although if your betting the turn you might be better of just folding preflop.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
limping here would be hilariously bad.

so would limping here no matter how many other people limped before you.

[/ QUOTE ]
overlimping is fine, depending on the type of players you are playing against. if your vs. some super stations, raising pf, c-betting, then shutting down (with no set) is often spewy.

i would probably raise with one limper, but 2 limpers, i consider overlimping.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:30 PM

I also bet $7 on the turn/shutting down if called. I think you'll take it down enough.
Old 03-21-2007, 01:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If we assume his range is AA-TT, AK and AQ then your behind 30 out of 46 hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP - behind ~65% of villian's range, 5 to 7 makes you behind ~70%...
Old 03-21-2007, 03:53 PM

I realized that the call was razor thin preflop and possibly -EV. However, I was not just calling for set value. It's partly image, and the fact I think there is a possibility he has trash, and I can just take it away. I think the call is very very close.

However, I think I might've screwed this up.

I c/ced 7 on the turn and we both checked a 4s on the river.

Bad line?
Old 03-21-2007, 04:27 PM

Lev,

If I'm checking the turn I'm just going to go ahead and fold there.
Old 03-21-2007, 05:01 PM

holy [censored] I didn't even see stack sizes....fold PF