Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2007, 04:20 AM

Default Re: Taking shots at higher limits

[ QUOTE ]
Running good is fun, isn't it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not running good is my biggest leak.

-d
Old 03-19-2007, 05:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
No one wins 90% of their sessions. That's insane.

[/ QUOTE ]
This topic is irrelevant. The point is not to win your sessions. The point is to play well to produce long term results. If you sit down, steal the blinds and leave, sure you've won your session, but are you going to stop there to say that you won today or are you going to keep playing?

I know this example is extreme but it's not uncommon for people to think they've won enough and leave and say their session was a win.

Winning your session is an event independent of playing well.
Old 03-19-2007, 06:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i always buy in for 20 big bets, $80 in $2-4, and $160 in $4-8. point is, you should pick up a hand within that time frame so you wont go through your stack unless the table is too tough or you're making mistakes and it's better to limit your losses and try again the next day

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't true.

Just because you pick up a hand doesn't mean you're going to win it. You could easily go through 20 bets. Catch 2 or 3 good starters that flop great draws that you jam and miss. Or flop something huge and get rivered after lots of actoin. Not nearly enough to gauge the table toughness on or to conclude that you're making mistakes.

I was in a 20-40 game, down 30+ bets within about 1/2 hour of sitting down. I remember well because the chiprunner was kidding me since she'd never really visited me that often in that amount of time.

It's about that pain tolerance. I'd say 20+BBs is a good checkpoint to maybe sit back, relax and re-evaluate everything to make sure it's ok to continue. There've been times I've left fairly quick because I just wasn't thinking right. Left some gravy games like that. But there are easily more times where everything is fine, you just have to pin your ears back and grind it out.

b
Old 03-19-2007, 06:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
No one wins 90% of their sessions. That's insane.

[/ QUOTE ]
This topic is irrelevant. The point is not to win your sessions. The point is to play well to produce long term results. If you sit down, steal the blinds and leave, sure you've won your session, but are you going to stop there to say that you won today or are you going to keep playing?

I know this example is extreme but it's not uncommon for people to think they've won enough and leave and say their session was a win.

Winning your session is an event independent of playing well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very true.

Of course, you're not even going to win your initial blind hand 90% of the time.

However, I'm very leary of anyone who says they've won 90% of their sessions. Especially if they act like it's something of the norm. Usually it means either they aren't really keeping track that well, or they have a nice downswing coming up sometime in their future.

b
Old 03-19-2007, 07:09 AM

I've had sessions where I was down 30BB early on and ended up winning 50+. In live games I generally don't quit in less than 5 hours. Unless I'm losing badly I usually play at least 8 hours.
Old 03-19-2007, 07:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've had sessions where I was down 30BB early on and ended up winning 50+. In live games I generally don't quit in less than 5 hours. Unless I'm losing badly I usually play at least 8 hours.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tonight I was up 4.5BBs early on. Then I was stuck over 30BBs. Then I found my way back to about 4BBs up. Back down to about 25BBs. In the 9 brutal hours I played, I made 4 BBs. Yay. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I was sent off with a last hand of KK UTG. Raised, got 5 callers. Ace flops, I check and fold. Good times!

First sugar I've seen in a long time. This bad streak is one for the ages. But that's another post. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

b
Old 03-19-2007, 08:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Not running good is my biggest leak.

[/ QUOTE ]
QFT [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-19-2007, 01:37 PM

Are you talking about internet here or live? That kind of a swing live is large enough for me to move, but isnt on the net, this original post was regarding B&M play, so everything i posted on this thread is in regards to speficially b&m play.
Old 03-19-2007, 01:39 PM

Great post, and very well agreed bernie, thanks...
CDL
Old 03-19-2007, 04:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you talking about internet here or live? That kind of a swing live is large enough for me to move, but isnt on the net, this original post was regarding B&M play, so everything i posted on this thread is in regards to speficially b&m play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Everything I've posted is regarding B&M play also.

It's where I spend 30+ hours a week.

b