Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2007, 07:10 PM

Default Re: cbloom\'s log - Rippetoe & Frozen Shoulder

How does one figure out where to start in terms of the Rippletoe program?

In terms of wieghts used per exercise. I've never even done pulley rows, deadlifts, squats since like high school.
I've done incline bench press but not flat bench press.

Should i just start really light since im a total newb and will have to raise my weight every workout? Start with just the bar?
Old 04-03-2007, 12:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How does one figure out where to start in terms of the Rippletoe program?

[/ QUOTE ]

The program recommends going in and spending one day at the gym figuring out your starting weight. If you read all the links above you'll find some stuff but I'll write a quick version :

Your first day you just go in and practice each exercise and try to figure out your starting way. For each exercise, first of all practice your form with just the bar. If you can't do it with proper form with just the bar, then stop immediately and work on that. If you can do it with proper form and it feels easy, add weight. You want to add weight in small increments, 5-10 lbs at a time, try doing 5 reps again and check your form, add more weight until it's not really easy any more. The most important thing here is to keep proper form and don't add too much weight. Don't go in with any preconceived ideas of how much weight you should be doing, and don't try to add weight until you "feel it". If you don't add enough weight that's no big deal, err on the side of lower weights. Your goal is to find the highest weight where you can do 5 reps with perfect form and it's not totally easy. Now don't actually do your working sets, just record the weight and start next time.

[ QUOTE ]

In terms of wieghts used per exercise. I've never even done pulley rows, deadlifts, squats since like high school.
I've done incline bench press but not flat bench press.

Should i just start really light since im a total newb and will have to raise my weight every workout? Start with just the bar?

[/ QUOTE ]

Since you've never done a lot them, the most important thing is getting the form right. You should try to get someone to help you, look at pictures, read a lot. I would definitely do it with just the bar at first and work on form. You might want to work on some exercises just even without the bar at first to practice form. Don't worry if you start too light - you'll be adding weight 3 times a week.
Old 04-03-2007, 12:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Read the book.

And the FAQ.

And this post.

And especially How much weight should I use?.

I'm about to find this out for myself too (book is on the way), but there is no hard and fast way to know what you're going to be able to lift the first time, how could there be? Since you're supposed to start with the empty bar and then some lighter weights to warm up, I guess for the first time you just keep adding and doing warm up sets until you think you've got enough on the bar to do the work sets, and hopefully you didn't go too high. Better to be too low and increase more rapidly next workout if it's too easy, as per the FAQ.
Old 04-03-2007, 03:49 AM

To the Rippetoe starters -- You'll be frightened by how fast your working set weights balloon upward, and at a certain point you'll sigh longingly for the days when you could work with light weights but still get incredible strength gains. It's also really important to nail form down early before it gets heavy -- I ended up wasting a month and had to reset my squat weight all the way down when I realized my form sucked.

cbloom, how far off do you think your shoulder rehab is from allowing you to back squat?
Old 04-03-2007, 01:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

cbloom, how far off do you think your shoulder rehab is from allowing you to back squat?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ugh, I tried it last time I was at the gym and I could get my hands on the bar but it hurt like a million burning needles inside my shoulder so I got out of there quick. My shoulder rehab seems to have stalled out where I have 90% range of motion now but I'm not improving [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

I'm gonna drop the hacks and switch to front squats soon because it seems closer to the real thing. I figure I should stick with the hacks a few more workouts.
Old 04-03-2007, 04:53 PM

Rippetoe A today
hack squat 87.5 (3,5,5)
bench 55 (5,4,4)
dead lift 95 (4)

Ugh, crappy day. The hacks almost made me puke, even though I did 2.5 pounds less last time pretty easily.

Dead lift skinned my shin again. The bar runs into the middle of my shin on the way up and then as I pull through the lift it just rips the skin off cuz the bar is like a cheese grater.

Question :
When you guys do the negative on the dead lift do you just drop it all the way and step out of the way then re-address the bar, or do you sort of drop it with control? (sometimes I hit my knees on the way down if I lower it with semi-control).

I also feel like I was too flat-backed in the dead lift, I try to keep my back upright but when I start to struggle my legs go up and my back arches, bad bad bad. I might have to drop back down to low weight and work on form again.
Old 04-03-2007, 05:38 PM

so cbloom yr deadlifitng 95+95+45(bar) right?
Old 04-03-2007, 06:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
so cbloom yr deadlifitng 95+95+45(bar) right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah (235). It's not really that much (my goal is 2x bodyweight, or about 400) but I'm not used to deadlifting a lot and not comfortable keeping good form and all that.

ps. I started doing Rippetoe with 45 on each side (45*2+45 = 135), just add 5 each time, only 10 workouts later (about a month) I'm at 95 (=235). Crazy.
Old 04-03-2007, 07:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dead lift skinned my shin again. The bar runs into the middle of my shin on the way up and then as I pull through the lift it just rips the skin off cuz the bar is like a cheese grater.

[/ QUOTE ]

How wide is your stance? Unless you have extremely wide hips your shins should be within the knurling which will help. What grip do you use? If it is both overhand try alternating grip as it will reduce the pull toward you and against your legs. Remember to alternate which hand you have overhand/underhand though. As a last resort just wear long socks or tape your shins.

[ QUOTE ]
When you guys do the negative on the dead lift do you just drop it all the way and step out of the way then re-address the bar, or do you sort of drop it with control?

[/ QUOTE ]

The bar should come down under control for most reps. This doesn't mean extremely slow but if you hang on the whole way down it shouldn't be a huge jarring sensation when the weights hit the floor.

[ QUOTE ]
I also feel like I was too flat-backed in the dead lift, I try to keep my back upright but when I start to struggle my legs go up and my back arches, bad bad bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you holding your breath throughout the lift? This can help maintain core stability. In all honesty though, if you feel like your lower back especially is beggining to or is losing its arch just let go of the weight immediately. Struggling through a lift with an arched lower back is the cause of almost all deadlift injuries.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Rippetoe A today
hack squat 87.5 (3,5,5)
bench 55 (5,4,4)
dead lift 95 (4)

Ugh, crappy day. The hacks almost made me puke, even though I did 2.5 pounds less last time pretty easily.

Question :
When you guys do the negative on the dead lift do you just drop it all the way and step out of the way then re-address the bar, or do you sort of drop it with control? (sometimes I hit my knees on the way down if I lower it with semi-control).

I also feel like I was too flat-backed in the dead lift, I try to keep my back upright but when I start to struggle my legs go up and my back arches, bad bad bad. I might have to drop back down to low weight and work on form again.

[/ QUOTE ]
I set the bar down gently. It's pretty hard, I was having a little trouble keeping my back straight/arched about 20 lbs ago, but not much anymore.