Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2007, 01:00 PM

Default Re: Employee is (probably) stealing- now what?

[ QUOTE ]
PS: if you really did own a business, and if your real life personality is anything like you post, your employees are going to enjoy robbing you blind and I wouldnt blame them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ohhh, personal shots. I like it.

Is there where I am suppose to get mad?

try harder.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:00 PM

guids,

Why are you letting Bi-h00r troll you?

As for this whole deal, I guess the mistake I'm making is thinking the vast majority of employees are going to be honest, and that the bad apple outliers can be weeded out. Your "most people will steal given a clear opportunity" does present a case for the cameras being a good ROI, although it is kind of depressing.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:02 PM

Out of curiousity, what do you think the average turn over rate for a retail clerk is for most small business? Im assuming you have no idea?

Using coffee as an excuse is lame, get real, you have no idea how the small business world works nowadays do you?

there are far more successful, wealthier, and brighter people than you that buy things like this all the time. Are you telling me that you know better than they, the people who have built a successful business and are immersed in it 18 hours a day, 5 to 7 days a week?
Old 03-14-2007, 01:03 PM

Just fire her and tell her you've been unsatisfied with her performance. You won't have any problems unless she's a 600 pound black lesbo, in which case you were dumb for hiring a discrimination lawsuit waiting to happen in the first place [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-14-2007, 01:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Out of curiousity, what do you think the average turn over rate for a retail clerk is for most small business? Im assuming you have no idea?

Using coffee as an excuse is lame, get real, you have no idea how the small business world works nowadays do you?

there are far more successful, wealthier, and brighter people than you that buy things like this all the time. Are you telling me that you know better than they, the people who have built a successful business and are immersed in it 18 hours a day, 5 to 7 days a week?

[/ QUOTE ]

damn you are stupid.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
guids,

Why are you letting Bi-h00r troll you?

As for this whole deal, I guess the mistake I'm making is thinking the vast majority of employees are going to be honest, and that the bad apple outliers can be weeded out. Your "most people will steal given a clear opportunity" does present a case for the cameras being a good ROI, although it is kind of depressing.

[/ QUOTE ]

tuq,

It is depressing, but when you are dealing with low wage retail/restuarant jobs, it is ture more often than not unfortunately . the other reason I am all for cameras and stuff, is that it is a fairly big preventative measure against outsiders stealing (ie burglars, stick-ups etc).

as far as by-tor, I shouldnt respond to an old douche bag like him, but sometimes I just like to argue.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:32 PM

trust me, I'm a guy who only hired people I already trusted, (enough that every employee of mine had been a roommate at one point or another) I don't think I was stolen from, and I wish I had bought cameras. Cameras don't have to cost $2k, but if your business is big enough that you have to hire people you don't trust to be in a position to steal from you, it had better be big enough to be able to afford a camera system.

the advanced camera systems quids is talking about sound really cool, and if you can afford it, go for it.

This isn't a $100 problem. if an employee can steal $100, they can steal much, much more. If they can steal $100 that you know about through regular bookkeeping, someone, at some point, is going to discover a way to steal from you that you won't notice. It's one of the few mistakes that can put you out of business, and you may never know why.

That's not even taking into account peace of mind. get cameras.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:47 PM

without getting into the whole camera debate, you can fire her for failing to balance the register without even accusing her of stealing. furthermore, if she protests the firing you can let her know that you're kindly NOT going to go to the cops with your suspicions, and she'll probably just give it up.

with regard to cameras and theft, i have worked in small businesses that did without them and endured little or no theft. the owner was almost always on the premises, the employees were treated very well, staff meals were comped and he wasn't stingy with the beer after a shift. so basically it was a choice between giving something away or having it misappropriated [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] but i think he was probably saving himself money over the long run.

that said, there were two people who got fired for stealing in the two years i worked there, so it wasn't fool proof.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:50 PM

Thats something else I forgot to mention, NT is right on with the drawer balancing, a couple of the restaurants I work with have a no tolerance policy, if your drawer is over 1$ short, you either get a warning than fired, or just fired. But you need to make the policy known first.
Old 03-14-2007, 02:25 PM

hire a hitman