Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What should I do?
Try to find a new filter to replace it with ... and give up when you can't find one 47 21.56%
just tell comcast you have no idea what they are talking about! what filter?? 116 53.21%
you are a thief, you deserve whats comin' to you 55 25.23%
Voters: 218. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-19-2007, 05:19 AM

Default Re: Iron Chef OOT 3/8-3/18

Hey, why'd you post the poll so quickly? Not that anyone is going to beat StevieG this week, but I promised to post my appetizer before I went to bed tonight...? Here it is in case someone else cares.

Asparagus Quiche

8 inch pie shell
2 oz cream cheese
1/3 cup whipping cream
3 eggs
1 cup grated Swiss cheese
1/2 lb asparagus, steamed
2 green onions
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 tsp nutmeg

Let the cream cheese warm to room temperature and beat it until it's smooth. Beat in the eggs and cream, then stir in the rest of the ingredients. Pour into a pie shell and bake for 25 minutes at 425 degrees. Let cool for 15 minutes before eating.

Old 03-19-2007, 06:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Billy Bibbit
Re: Iron Chef OOT 3/8-3/18 [Re: CardSharpCook]
#9610989 - 03/18/07 09:06 PM
Please don't post the poll for a couple more hours, I promise I'll have my appetizer posted before I go to bed tonight.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
CardSharpCook
payoff wizard
Re: Iron Chef OOT 3/8-3/18 [Re: CardSharpCook]
#9613036 - 03/19/07 01:59 AM

[/ QUOTE ]

come on, dude.
Old 03-19-2007, 06:05 AM

unfortunately I can no longer edit poll or post, but if you post an entree too, we'll not count this poll, start a new one, and maybe get ICOOT's mod, SamIam, to edit the "Contestants" page. I certainly want to include your entries, but merely assumed you had forgotten or decided not to post. The Quiche looks good. I'd love to see a cross-section of it, and how you might plate it for individual servings.
Old 03-19-2007, 06:23 AM

Touche. I posted the entree some time ago though, that's why I figured I'd be given a little more time to finish up. If you thought I hadn't posted anything I can certainly understand why you didn't want to wait.

As for the contest I think StevieG is the clear winner for coming up with such creative ways to use asparagus. That stuffed squid looks ridiculously good, and so does the ham and cheese. Sam's and geormiet's entries both look delicious but they're kind of standard by comparison (admittedly so are mine).
Old 03-19-2007, 02:50 PM

Billy: Your stuff looks tasty, but I don't think your entree had the creativity or plating to really compete.

Geormie: Simple and delicious looking.

Sam: Very classy, looks rich and tasty.

Stevie: Well, I just don't think there was any competition this time. Wow. That was just a dominating performance, start to finish.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:38 PM

Stevie just went all out here. Gormiet produed a fine meal which would be in competition most weeks, but not with what Stevie did this week. Sam, it all looks great and it sounds like you got some great feedback from your guests. Next time I'd like to see you plate and serve the quiche. For two reasons; Plating is awesome, for one, and I'd like to see what your quiche REALLY looks like. The browning looks great, but how does it look when you cut it open? For a possible sauce, consider a Red Pepper Coulis (pureed, cooked, peeled red pepper enhanced with say garlic and olive oil).
Old 03-20-2007, 12:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Billy: Your stuff looks tasty, but I don't think your entree had the creativity or plating to really compete.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not this week, that's for sure! What changes to the plating would you suggest? I found this random picture on the Internet and thought it looked kinda neat so I tried to copy it.

Old 03-20-2007, 01:07 AM

Couple of things I would do -

-Smaller portion for the steak

-Don't completely cover the steak with sauce, you want to see the nice grill marks. Try covering the inside 1/3 of the steak, leaving the outside bare.

-Try to get everything moved to the center of the plate instead of scattered around. Better to have empty space around the edge and the food nicely packed in the middle then for the whole plate to be filled loosely with food.

-The onions and tomatos look pretty bad alone, as if you accidentally left them there. I don't think you can give so much focus to those raw ingredients - either toss them together as a salad, or use them more as a garnish instead of giving them so much space on the plate.

-wipe down the sides of the plate

-
Old 03-20-2007, 04:50 AM

I'd fan the tomatoes from 9:00-12:00. Maybe sprinkle the onions over the tomatoes. The steak can occupy 12:00-5:00. Let the Salsa spill over, just like you did, into 5:00-8:00. Also, let your steak rest before plating. This will allow juices to either reabsorb or leaave the steak. Less asparagus salsa might be nice.

Also, using more light to take my pictures has increased the warmth with which my meals our received here. I either use daylight, or a movable floor lamp which can be directed (as in for reading). I use a white cutting board to help back light the meal and eliminate shadows. These tips are courtesy of Mrs. Utah.

CONGRATS TO STEVIEG! IN A LANDSLIDE!
Old 03-20-2007, 05:32 PM

Congrats StevieG!