Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2007, 05:11 PM

Default I am healthy now but how would I know if I have cancer?

I am a healthy 22 year old guy, but it occured to me that if I had cancer there would be no way I would know about it until I got very sick.

What are some things I should do to protect myself against having undetected cancer for a long period of time? Would yearly checkups with bloodwork be the best thing to do to help detect cancer (or any other illness)?

It just seems like such an easier thing to fight when it's detected early and it seems weird to me that I am not doing anything of the sort. Thoughts?
Old 03-03-2007, 05:28 PM

Default Re: I am healthy now but how would I know if I have cancer?

A friend of mine had leukemia and the symptoms first appeared as a really bad cold/flu that wouldn't go away for a couple of weeks. He felt completely worn down, but attributed it to his body fighting off a virus. He kept going to work because he was new at the job and didn't want to call in sick. He finally developed a horrible fever and collapsed on his front porch on his way to work one morning. His neighbour saw him and called an ambulance.
Old 03-03-2007, 05:30 PM

Make sure your nuts aren't lumpy.
Old 03-03-2007, 06:46 PM

You need to chill. How do you know you don't have a heart defect that will cause you to drop dead one day if it isn't fixed? How do you know you aren't predisposed to having an aneurysm? Maybe you'll have a seizure on the freeway. You can't worry too much about this stuff. Most cancer is found in people significantly older than you. Testicular cancer is a risk for your age group, so check yourself in the shower every month or two. If you're really paranoid about this and have the money, get an executive physical once a year.
Old 03-03-2007, 10:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You need to chill. How do you know you don't have a heart defect that will cause you to drop dead one day if it isn't fixed? How do you know you aren't predisposed to having an aneurysm? Maybe you'll have a seizure on the freeway. You can't worry too much about this stuff. Most cancer is found in people significantly older than you.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is wrong on so many levels. First, cancer can be treated if caught early. The sooner you know, the better. Dropping dead from a heart attack can't be treated. Second, cancer can strike anyone, anytime. Maybe the OP has a high rate of cancer in his family. My father has 8 siblings. My 1 uncle is the only one in the family that has not had cancer. But because I am not old enough, I shouldn't worry?
Old 03-03-2007, 10:51 PM

I had five of my friends come down with cancer within six months. All bad cases. Miraculously, maybe, they all lived.

But yeah, things can happen. To everybody, or even to a lot of people, even all at once. You just never know for sure how safe you really are.
Old 03-03-2007, 11:02 PM

OMG! i think i actually have that thing that By-Tor posted (the picture). Just right above my belly i have a spot that is redder than the rest of my skin for some reason. Ive always wondered why i even have that or what it means.

I don't even have health insurance and i can't afford to go to the doctor, infact I haven't gone for like 10 years, im screwed [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 03-03-2007, 11:45 PM

Pay attention to your body and how you feel. There are usually signs/symptoms.

Make sure you get an answer as to why you don't feel well. If the doctor's explanation and related solution doesn't work, keep hammering away to get an answer. I went about a year and half before coming up with the correct answer "cancer". I am now 3 years cancer free, but pay attention to your body!

Don't worry too much about it, just pay attention and don't worry about bugging your doctor.
Old 03-04-2007, 01:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I had five of my friends come down with cancer within six months.

[/ QUOTE ]

Holy cow...where did you grow up? Three Mile Island?
Old 03-04-2007, 12:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You need to chill. How do you know you don't have a heart defect that will cause you to drop dead one day if it isn't fixed? How do you know you aren't predisposed to having an aneurysm? Maybe you'll have a seizure on the freeway. You can't worry too much about this stuff. Most cancer is found in people significantly older than you.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is wrong on so many levels. First, cancer can be treated if caught early. The sooner you know, the better. Dropping dead from a heart attack can't be treated. Second, cancer can strike anyone, anytime. Maybe the OP has a high rate of cancer in his family. My father has 8 siblings. My 1 uncle is the only one in the family that has not had cancer. But because I am not old enough, I shouldn't worry?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, there's a small but real chance you or me or OP will come down with cancer in near future. 1 in 5 people reading this will die of cancer if current rates hold steady. But what do you want OP to do? Should he have a $2000 physical 4 times a year? Should he go to the doctor every time he sneezes? Encase his house in lead to block any kind of electromagnetic radiation? Obviously if he's having major or recurrent health problems he should get them checked out. Constant worry or concern about health problems is not going to lead to a fulfilling life for OP. Also, I said most cases of cancer are found in older people. This is a fact. I never implied that young people can't get cancer.

edit: You also cut off my quote right before I stated that OP is in the prime age group for testicular cancer.

Look, if I get cancer, I get cancer, but I'm not going to waste my life worrying about what may or may not happen. This doesn't mean I'm going to ignore warning signs or engage is behavior that might make me cancer-prone.