Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2007, 11:55 AM

Default Re: Why Is AC/Libertarianism So Bothersome?

Where have I heard that "free-for-all" line before? This isn't the first time I've noticed the gun-grabber logic just below the surface of AC.
Old 03-03-2007, 11:56 AM

One problem with AC/Libertarianism is the idea of man as a rational being. ACers and libertarians often seem to believe that the oppression of the state interferes with man's inherently rational nature and that the lifting of the veil of statism will result in a New Enlightenment of super-rational thought. I am a bit more skeptical about anything like that happening, although I won't go so far as to endorse a Hobbesian view of man as brutish, nasty, and short. The philosophy seems stacked upon the faulty foundations of flawed axiomatic beliefs about basic human nature.

Plus, they have horrible taste in literature. I mean really, Ayn Rand? Anyone who cites The Fountainhead as his or her favorite book becomes immediately suspect.
Old 03-03-2007, 12:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Plus, they have horrible taste in literature. I mean really, Ayn Rand? Anyone who cites The Fountainhead as his or her favorite book becomes immediately suspect.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ayn Rand, in whose inner circle was one Alan Greenspan.
Old 03-03-2007, 12:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Where have I heard that "free-for-all" line before? This isn't the first time I've noticed the gun-grabber logic just below the surface of AC.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uhm... you're the one who made the comparison.
Old 03-03-2007, 12:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One problem with AC/Libertarianism is the idea of man as a rational being. ACers and libertarians often seem to believe that the oppression of the state interferes with man's inherently rational nature and that the lifting of the veil of statism will result in a New Enlightenment of super-rational thought. I am a bit more skeptical about anything like that happening, although I won't go so far as to endorse a Hobbesian view of man as brutish, nasty, and short. The philosophy seems stacked upon the faulty foundations of flawed axiomatic beliefs about basic human nature.

[/ QUOTE ]

And you want these unenlightened irrational people to be voting for someone to hold enormous life or death power over you?
Old 03-03-2007, 12:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the people who cite Ayn Rand as "their favorite" are those who have their entire lifeview shifted by reading her. Personally, I was a libertarian before I read her and while I enjoyed her books fine, I also found them too preachy and repetitive.
Old 03-03-2007, 12:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And you want these unenlightened irrational people to be voting for someone to hold enormous life or death power over you?

[/ QUOTE ]

This argument, while obvious and true, never works, as the people it's used against seem to believe the system weeds out the unenlightened irrational behavior. "Most people are stupid, but if we let them vote, their stupidity cancels out and they make good decisions." Something like that. And no, it makes no sense to me either. :P

(and then they complain when people like Bush get into office)
Old 03-03-2007, 12:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This argument, while obvious and true, never works, as the people it's used against seem to believe the system weeds out the unenlightened irrational behavior. "Most people are stupid, but if we let them vote, their stupidity cancels out and they make good decisions." Something like that. And no, it makes no sense to me either. :P

(and then they complain when people like Bush get into office)

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I guess we are in paradise then. Or if not paradise we will be when the government finally makes enough laws and regulations and has enought enforcers...
Old 03-03-2007, 12:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"Most people are stupid, but if we let them vote, their stupidity cancels out and they make good decisions."

[/ QUOTE ]

The rationale of AC: "Immense fortunes tend to be expansively avaristic, but if we let the logic of the marketplace where such entities have home field advantage be the controlling influence in society, they won't act in any exploitive self-interest at the expense of the general prosperity, but rather their individual greediness will cancel out leaving the average person a winner."
Old 03-03-2007, 12:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"Most people are stupid, but if we let them vote, their stupidity cancels out and they make good decisions."

[/ QUOTE ]

The rationale of AC: "Immense fortunes tend to be expansively avaristic, but if we let the logic of the marketplace where such entities have home field advantage be the controlling influence in society, they won't act in any exploitive self-interest at the expense of the general prosperity, but rather their individual greediness will cancel out leaving the average person a winner."

[/ QUOTE ]

It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own interest.