Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2007, 12:35 AM

Default Re: The Well: curtains 3/2/07

What fraction of regular STTF posters could perform an SNGPT-type calculation given an ICM calculator, PokerStove, and a TI-83?
Old 03-03-2007, 12:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
what is the biggest leak that people who are no longer able to beat sngs have? what was your biggest leak when you first switched to cash?

[/ QUOTE ]

Tough question. Are you referring to people who used to be clear winners and are now having problems? If so it's probably game selection and an inability to play lower limits and less tables. Also an inability to adjust and add some new moves to their game.

I believe that it's almost always true that the best way to beat a game one year ago, is no longer the best way to beat a game today.

[/ QUOTE ]

that sounds pretty dead on. your biggest leak in cash games?

edit: and how did you fix it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Only been playing cash games for 3 months but I'm clearly not tremendous at them, because Im not playing very high limits like some others. However I have made a reasonably nice profit at them, and can hopefully improve on my results in time. I do hope to get back into seriously playing MTTs however as well as cash games.

But okay, I'm dodging your question. Biggest leak....honestly I don't know? Calming down a bit when I have a weakish hand after the flop when I've 3 bet preflop and gotten called? Of course this could also be a leak, I don't know [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] If I knew all the answers I'd be 6 tabling 25/50 [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-03-2007, 12:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Great move doing this Curtains, TY. Post-flop play is becoming more important in SNGs, so it seems, what have you done to systematically analyse post-flop play. It doesn't seem quite as susceptible to charting ...

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I came into SnGs as being relatively decent at postflop play (at least compared to the other tightish pros), due to my experience at MTTs and cash games? I don't know how much I've improved at it in the past few years as it's difficult to quantify such things. I feel a bit more comfortable in some awkward situations because I've been in them more, but that doesn't mean that I'm necessarily playing much better.
Old 03-03-2007, 12:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What fraction of regular STTF posters could perform an SNGPT-type calculation given an ICM calculator, PokerStove, and a TI-83?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know, Ive never in my life done one by hand. Never had the need to with SNGPT coming out pretty much right when I began playing. At first I just used my instincts and my chart, but as I moved up in limits to like $109s+ I started plugging more and more things into SNGPT.
Old 03-03-2007, 12:44 AM

have you completely stopped playing SnG's? If so why?
Old 03-03-2007, 12:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
have you completely stopped playing SnG's? If so why?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. They are not as profitable as they used to be. I cannot put in long sessions because I don't enjoy them. You have much less time to act than you used to, so I find it more difficult to play many of them at once. These are just a few reasons.
Old 03-03-2007, 01:02 AM

Do you like Pina Coladas, and getting caught in the rain? [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Have you ever played in any of the big live Poker tournaments? Do you plan to?
Old 03-03-2007, 01:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you like Pina Coladas, and getting caught in the rain? [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Have you ever played in any of the big live Poker tournaments? Do you plan to?

[/ QUOTE ]

1. Don't drink. I like the rain sometimes, depends what I'm wearing.

2. I definitely do want to play in them but I'm extremely risk averse when it comes into buying into an MTT of which I will lose my buyin 80% of the time. I am exploring backing arrangements and hopefully come up with a good one relatively shortly. I'm exploring them more aggressively these days, as I feel like I should have gotten started playing in big events a few years ago, and don't want to waste anymore time.

In any case I did play in the 2004 WSOP and the 04 Pokerstars Cruise. Didn't cash in either, and was much much worse at poker then than I am now.
Old 03-03-2007, 01:16 AM

What's the farhtest screen you've gotten to in arcade Ms. Pacman (IE - the first 2 screens, then the 3 light blue screens, then the 4 red screens, then god knows how many dark blue screens after that, am I forgetting any?).

I saw an episode of the show We Live Here (Fine Living Channel) on Philly.

link for the Philly epidode (Warning: Mural Madness link on this page is wrong)

Actual link for that shows the Mural segment

Are these murals as cool as they look in the show?
Old 03-03-2007, 01:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What's the farhtest screen you've gotten to in arcade Ms. Pacman (IE - the first 2 screens, then the 3 light blue screens, then the 4 red screens, then god knows how many dark blue screens after that, am I forgetting any?).

I saw an episode of the show We Live Here (Fine Living Channel) on Philly.

link for the Philly epidode (Warning: Mural Madness link on this page is wrong)

Actual link for that shows the Mural segment

Are these murals as cool as they look in the show?

[/ QUOTE ]

1. In response to Ms Pac Man, it really depends if you are talking about the fast version or the slow version. In the fast version I can pretty much live forever. In the slow version my high score is something right under 200k, like 195k perhaps? I don't really care about levels so much, but it's definitely past the pink Chase levels and past where the ghosts don't turn blue at all.

2. The videos aren't working for me unfortunately. I'm sure the murals are pretty cool though [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]