Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2007, 08:08 PM

Default Re: How much is degree from a low level law school worth? (and more ?s

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
the best schools i would probably ever apply to are USD (my under grad) or something Bay Area based. my intial thoughts were just something cheap(er) and easy to get into- Thomas Jefferson (in SD) or National. these were just my initial thoughts.

leaving the west coast is just not happening.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you go to TJ or Cooley, gl getting a job.

[/ QUOTE ]

hence the thread title?
Old 03-01-2007, 09:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
the best schools i would probably ever apply to are USD (my under grad) or something Bay Area based. my intial thoughts were just something cheap(er) and easy to get into- Thomas Jefferson (in SD) or National. these were just my initial thoughts.

leaving the west coast is just not happening.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you go to TJ or Cooley, gl getting a job.

[/ QUOTE ]

hence the thread title?

[/ QUOTE ]

well you are being so useful, like 10 people have said that your GPA needs to be viewed in light of your undergrad, and you still havent said where you went.

Here is the straight answer on what you are looking for

Top 25 Law School: Definitely worth it, you'll make a ton and have choices come job time as long as you are in top half.

25-100: If you want to go to law school and work hard, definitely worth it. You have a shot at big law and can get a great job if you do well.

Tier 2/3: Be prepared to not get a big paying job and have some struggles in the job market. Don't even think about leaving the area where your school is located. Only go if you are sure you want to be a lawyer and are willing to accept struggle.

Bottom of the Barrel (Cooley, Roger Williams): Unless your uncle is partner at a firm, don't waste your money going to a diploma factory. You will end up $100K in debt and be worse off for having attended law school. Unless you finish #1 in your class, google "how to file for bankruptcy" immediately.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:11 PM

im not sure why youre being such a [censored] all of the sudden but, uh, my undergrad is right there in what you responded to.

the best schools i would probably ever apply to are USD (my under grad)
Old 03-01-2007, 09:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
im not sure why youre being such a [censored] all of the sudden but, uh, my undergrad is right there in what you responded to.

the best schools i would probably ever apply to are USD (my under grad)

[/ QUOTE ]

ummmm....uhhhh.....must have been the space between under and grad that confused me. lol.

my apologies.
Old 03-02-2007, 12:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
typical firm will consider people for partnership after 8 years, but its going to be hard at most places. partners of course make the big money, but generally not as much as 1.1 mil for a junior partner. the other perk of being partner is working less hours too. to some extent, the associates do all the work while the partners go home , but of course this will vary too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Quite frankly, this is one of the silliest statements in this thread. Trust me, as a partner in a law firm, you work exponentially harder compared to when you were an associate.
Old 03-02-2007, 05:53 AM

TPF:

I graduated with SackUp in the Spring but had a somewhat different experience. After a tough first semester, I graduated exactly in the middle of the class. I didn't get on a journal, and I didn't do mock trial or moot court because I have no desire to do litigation. I had jobs at small time law offices through most of school but am now having a hell of a time finding anything permanent.

Part of this is because the only type of law i've ever wanted to practice is transactional entertainment law, which as you can imagine is pretty hard to get your foot in the door with. But part of my trouble has been that the job market is pretty lousy, especially in san diego, unless you went to a great school or performed pretty damn well where you went.

I would say that even now, 9 months after graduation and 6 months after getting bar results back, about half of my friends don't have full time jobs that they are happy with and aren't actively looking for something else/better. Right now i'm doing document review and playing poker just to pay the bills. I'm moving to (hopefully) greener pastures up in LA in the next couple months when my wife is done with school. The market, especially for what i want to do, is much better in LA.

The best advise i could give someone in my situation would be to have a good amount of savings before ever starting school because unless your grades rock the house big time, there is a good chance that you won't find anything for a while and will have to take the first thing that comes along whether or not it makes you miserable.

All that being said, i'm very glad that I went, just wish that I would have known to do a few things different along the way. If you have any more specific questions pm me.

Good Luck.
Old 03-02-2007, 06:08 AM

You can go to a bad school and then transfer to a good school if you excel. I met a couple of people who transfered in from bad schools to my school (they all went to Teir 4s)
Old 03-02-2007, 07:23 AM

tier 4's?
Old 03-02-2007, 10:41 AM

Default IT CAN BE WORTH $17 MILLION

JUST UNFREEZE THE NETELLER MONEY FOR US, WE'LL GIVE YOU A THIRD.
Old 03-02-2007, 11:22 AM

Default Re: How much is a degree from a low level law school worth? (and more ?s)

Anyone,

Let's say someone wanted to just start a private practice (be an ambulance chaser, do wills, etc..) Forget the amount of hours per week or pay level. Does anything matter other than being admitted to the bar?