Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2007, 06:49 PM

Default Re: Multi-tabling and The Hours...

[ QUOTE ]

If I can lie in bed and watch TV while 'working' then how hard can it be?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am thinking that you do.

Do you use a conventional mouse? If so, how do you position the mouse?
How large of a monitor do you use and where do you place it?

Thanks

1 hour = 1 hour ---------- Even if it seems like less or more.
Old 03-01-2007, 06:58 PM

I use a regular wireless mouse and lie on my side when in bed.
I just use my laptop monitor.
No biggie.

I'm left-handed.
I lay on my right-side with my computer in-front and to the right of me and have my mouse in my left-hand either on my hip or on the bed.
I use a hard-back book with a mouse-pad on it.

Usually sitting at my desk or at my couch with my bigger monitor though.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:21 PM

As proved in this thread depends what job you are comparing it to.

Previous to playing poker for a living I was a a secondary (high school in the us i think) maths teacher and i can say that job was alot more taxing, concentration and effort wise than playing poker. I literally never had a spare moment all day including breaks as i was normally doing something school related.

Compare to a bog standard office job and it is probably about 1.5 times as many people have said.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:19 PM

Location: On my knees praying that God shows my opponents His power

Tough to put a number on it, but I can guess that for me it's about 1.5-1.8.

I've always been a work horse. I would imagine over the years I average 60 hours a week. Now that I mostly play poker there is no way I could average that. 40 hours is a stretch.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Tuesday start at 6am drive into work enjoying your only chance to see the sun all day

[/ QUOTE ]

You must have been working abroad... Not very often I see the sun at 6am in the UK!!

Also, I take it this was before the new 48 hour working week regulations were implemented?

Currently I am just playing poker recreationally, although I keep my poker bankroll completely seperate from my earnings, but when you guys start doing this for a living, does it take all of the 'fun' out playing the game?

It must be more difficult being in a situation where you have to win to make a living, am I right ot way off the mark?
Old 03-02-2007, 12:43 AM

would be very hard for me to make 75$/hr at online poker. i settle for my 50$/hr office job. legit as [censored] and i get the nights off. =)

this is a brag post, less your comparing 3/6+ winnings to a 12$/h job.
Old 03-02-2007, 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Tuesday start at 6am drive into work enjoying your only chance to see the sun all day

[/ QUOTE ]

You must have been working abroad... Not very often I see the sun at 6am in the UK!!

[/ QUOTE ]

er no - somewhere closeish to London - sun is around that early in teh summer (I did 2 summers and one winter) - the rest of the time I spent my working life in a kitchen with no windows rarely seeing any daylight.

[ QUOTE ]

Also, I take it this was before the new 48 hour working week regulations were implemented?

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL

jobs in establishments like that (in fact in a lot of hotels /restaurants around the UK) require you to "opt out" of said regulations before they will employ you full time. The menial stuff is being flooded with immigrant workers - no business owner is going to pay a UK citizen more than minimum wage to peel carrots when they can pay an Eastern European migrant to do the same work every day of the week for rock bottom salary. The kind of work I do thats highly skilled that you can't farm out to an army of cheap labour still attracts lots of people happy to work for effectively ~£3/hour. It's just the way it is. Lots of people I know work 16/18 hour days 5-6 days a week for a salary of >£20k. There is much more to life than money and the job satisfaction you get for high end cheffing is awesome.

Eventually I burnt myself out and these days I work freelance and get paid for every hour I do tho I'm hoping to work more "at the tables" this year and less in the kitchens.

I agree that compared to white collar office jobs Poker is a touch more intense and stuff - I'm not saying my profession is the hardest out there by any means - just that compared to some peoples jobs multitabling poker for comparitively good money 60+ hours a week is lemon squeezy.
Old 03-02-2007, 05:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
in a white collar job, the quality of your work is defined by your best idea of the day. In poker, it's defined by your worst.

On the other hand, the more menial your job, the more it becomes just as exhausting as poker. I can say from experience that an hour of multitabling poker is less exhausting than an hour as a cashier at a busy place, or any food service job.

[/ QUOTE ]

I worked for 18 months or so in a michelin star restaurant kitchen reasonably high up the food chain (i.e. not menial)
Tuesdays were the worst days as we were closed Sun and Mon and arrived to find gleaming (but empty) fridges and had to remake the whole menu from scratch more or less.

Tuesday start at 6am drive into work enjoying your only chance to see the sun all day while organising in your head what order you need to get things done in - etc. Praying that the deliveries will be there when you get there otherwise there goes any chance of cigarette breaks until about 3pm.

From 6:30am after mini staff meeting till midday work flat out - at full concentration focus levels getting everything prepped for lunch service organising the staff underneath you - if you're lucky you get about enough time for a 5 min coffee break at 11am ish if not you work straight through till 2:30pm when lunch finishes.

Lunch break - whats a lunch break??? - I never ate lunch I got waitresses to bring me double espresso's every 45 mins [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

2:30ish till 2:45 - coffee/cig break.

2:45 till 6:45 same again but getting stuff ready for dinner service (much different menu)

6:45 - 7pm - break time

7pm till 10:30pm dinner service 10:30 till midnight cleaning /writing prep lists/ordering for next day.

that was affectionately known as an AFD shift. - All [censored] Day.

If service wasn't busy then you got to relax a little then - but on busy days we crammed ~17 hours of intense work in a very hot dangerous enviornment (sharp knives - boiling sugar/oil saucepans, high pressure steamers, heavy duty mixers and assorted other dangerous equipment) into an 18 hour day.

Weds - Sats weren't quite as bad as we didn't start work till 9am and got ~90 mins break inbetween lunch shift and dinner shift. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I have never worked anywhere that took as much out of me as there - I took 3 months off completely after I finished just to destress.

multitabling poker is a walk in the park compared to those days.

I'm sure there's other stressful hectic jobs, I wouldn't want to be an ATC - and granted people don't die (tho I've witnessed two or three eye wateringly bad accidents in my time in kitchens) but I can't imagine I'll do anything as physically and mentally draining as that again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Meh, I'm sure your job is more demanding than being a poker pro for the sheer amount of hours you have to put in physically laboring. But if you had to multitable online poker for the same amount of hours you worked at that job, I think you would see that it's almost impossible.