Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2007, 09:55 PM

Default Re: Cheapest nice rural place to live in the US ?

[ QUOTE ]
The stories I've heard of Louisville make it sound like there's a good deal of kill-whitey sentiment there. True or untrue?

[/ QUOTE ]

Completely untrue. Who the hell has been telling you these stories? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 02-28-2007, 10:06 PM

Carbondale, Illinois man. The Shawnee forest is beautiful, and you have the whole college social scene. There are plenty of places to live for cheap and you can decide just how rural you want to be. You can live 10 minutes from Carbondale and feel like you're in the middle of nowhere. 200k buys a nice house with land in that area. Ah, I miss it.
Old 02-28-2007, 10:08 PM

Louisville has a little redneck thing going on, but not as much anymore. The Mayor is a pro-business democrat and the social scene pretty hip.

I would say come visit for a weekend. Don't forget about the Derby the first weekend of May. It's 2 weeks of total fun and the Queen is coming this year!

You have a terrific college sports following, you are no more than 6 hours drive for at least 7 major cities (Cincinnati, St. Louis, Nashville, Indianapolis, Chicago, Columbus, and Atlanta) taxes are low, the weather is pretty good (gets below 30 about 3 or 4 times a year) Spring and Fall are awesome.

We own a bakery in Jeffersonville, IN (5 min from downtown louisville). Stop by and I'll hook you up. cakestoday.com
Old 02-28-2007, 10:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I really think areas of colorado are developing nicely, and you can still get some super cheap places.

Just pick any small area north of denver on I-25.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm.. I find Denver to be a total [censored]-hole, but I like the rest of Colorado. Seems to me there's too much winter there. I like the skiing and I love the mountains in the summer time.
Old 02-28-2007, 10:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Carbondale, Illinois man. ... Ah, I miss it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you go to college there? Ex-GF of mine did and loved it, that's a pretty good choice.
Old 02-28-2007, 10:25 PM

Tuscon
Old 02-28-2007, 10:29 PM

I lived there for 2 years in college and also lived in Murphysboro (7 miles west) for about a year and a half. If you like hiking, camping, motorcycles, or pretty much anything outdoorsy you'd like it.
Old 02-28-2007, 10:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The stories I've heard of Louisville make it sound like there's a good deal of kill-whitey sentiment there. True or untrue?

[/ QUOTE ]

Completely untrue. Who the hell has been telling you these stories? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

A guy I know who used to be the assistant general manager of a big hotel there. He told me all kinds of tales about the the racism of the place, and how the blacks there were virtually untouchable because they were constantly filing lawsuits, etc. But the story most short and sweet about all that stuff that I can tell is that he said he walked onto the property on his first day at the job and some black lady who worked there sneered at him as he was walking through the lobby and barked out, "I'll be here longer than you will, cracka!" All he could come up with was, "Whhaaat?" And so she gave him a nasty stare and repeated what she just said word for word while staring him down. He hadn't been in the doors for more than half a minute by that time. The lady had no fear whatsoever of losing her job even for overt, aggressive racism, against her managers, yet!

He had more stories, including some higher level political ones he was involved in, but that's the one I can tell.
Old 02-28-2007, 10:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Also, I'm not a big fan of humidity or Republicans but I plan to just grow some food and do a lot of hiking, biking, and riding.

Nice outdoor/nature is a big big plus, mountains, rivers, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Consider Southern Oregon -- it sounds like you might like the Ashland area.
Old 02-28-2007, 11:09 PM

Pretty good amount of Republicans there. Nature thereabouts is really great though.