Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2007, 03:39 PM

Default Re: Dilemma: Still being paid from old job

[ QUOTE ]
they've since paid me direct into my account for another two months wages.

[/ QUOTE ]

If it works like it does in the US, when you filled out the forms for direct deposit, you gave them permission to access your account at will. They will simply take the money back and that will be that.
Old 02-28-2007, 03:55 PM

Here's what the conversation will be like if they ever figure out what's going on and want their money back:

Them: We paid you and we didn't mean to. Give us the money back!
You: No.
Them: Please?
You: No
Them: Why won't you give us the money!!!!???!!!
You: Are you serious? The same reason you want it back. It's money.
Them: WE SUE YOU NOW!
You: Whateves. How about we go halfsies on it?
Them: FINE!
Old 02-28-2007, 03:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If it works like it does in the US, when you filled out the forms for direct deposit, you gave them permission to access your account at will. They will simply take the money back and that will be that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great point. Close the account today. This solves the "problem" of you getting paid, and makes it impossible for them to easily take the money back.
Old 02-28-2007, 04:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Its their screw up and its not like your cashing checks. I am actually curious what the reprecussions would be.

[/ QUOTE ]

lolz

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you a [censored] moron homer? why did you highlight that. If you can read he is not cashing checks. They go directly into his bank account. so go away. Where is dids to ban you.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are being delusional if you think this is different ethically than physically cashing a check that was accidentally sent to you. If you want me banned, feel free to PM Dids. He will probably ban you instead, though. Thanks for calling me a [censored] moron, though. Kill yourself. Seriously, I'm not just saying that because this is the internet. Get a [censored] gun and jam it in your mouth.
Old 02-28-2007, 04:15 PM

The discussion was from a legal perspective - so there could be a difference between cashing the checks and direct deposit. The guy you responded to was a clown, but you are wrong as well, Homer.
Old 02-28-2007, 04:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The discussion was from a legal perspective - so there could be a difference between cashing the checks and direct deposit. The guy you responded to was a clown, but you are wrong as well, Homer.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the guy I was responding to was speaking from a legal perspective, it wasn't very clear.

Oh well, Dids, feel free to ban me.
Old 02-28-2007, 04:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've no qualms taking money from a huge multinational.

[/ QUOTE ]
i've experienced huge multinationals making mistakes with money a great many times in life, and it almost always invovled me ending up with less money than i should have.
Old 02-28-2007, 04:26 PM

The direct deposit vs. check cashing aspect is even relevant legally. Of course, you couldn't use the "I didn't realize I was getting the money," routine, but that would be a retarted thing to do anyway.
Old 02-28-2007, 04:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesn't work like that in the UK, You don't have to sign any forms to have your wages paid direct to your bank account, you just give the boss your account number and sort code.

As I understand UK law (IANAL) - this would not be a criminal matter. if they have stuck too much money in your bank account then all they can do is ask you nicely to give it back. If you say no they can resort to civil recover (ie a County Court), you can't be forced to give the cash back with out a judge agreeing that you owe it.

However getting a county court judgement registered against you could seriously screw you over, it shows up on your credit reference file for 6 years.

I'd stick the money in a high interest savings account, and then when they do ask for it back negotiate hard and pay back the minimum they'll accept without going to court! You'll at least be up by the interest!

Mat
Old 02-28-2007, 04:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I thought the OOT lawyers would've chimmed in by now with 6 completely different interpretations of what is legal or not. Since I consider myself one of these lawyers, I'll toss in my "expert" advice:

I'm having a hard time seeing how this is fraud. They [censored] up, not you. If someone wants to give you free money, you aren't doing anything illegal, amirite?

Of course, cashing the checks would be pretty immoral. One thing you may want to keep in mind is that you could easily be risking a good referral from this company. If that really doesn't matter to you, I'd continue to keep quiet. Are the checks directly depositted into your bank account? If so, simply say that you never noticed. When they ask for it back, say you spent it all.

[/ QUOTE ]

He can use the "I just thought the interest rate on my account went up" defense.