Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2007, 02:13 AM

Default Re: teens dump water on elderly x3- hillarious (they think)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So they charged a 16 year old kid with felony stalking and want to try him as an adult for this? And they're gonna charge his friends with aiding and abetting? WTF.

ScottieK

[/ QUOTE ]

On the one hand, terrorizing a group of people who are unable to defend themselves is inexcusable.

On the other, a felony conviction on their records would pretty much send their lives down the crapper. Kiss the prospect of getting a decent job or finding an apartment to rent goodbye. Prison time would likely turn them into "real" criminals.

They'll probably plea down to a misdemenor charge with community service in the same nursing home.

[/ QUOTE ]

These kids are on their way to prison anyway. Better to catch them early as possible, before they test their boundaries even more. You don't want them to discover what the boundaries of their cruelty really are.
Old 02-28-2007, 02:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So they charged a 16 year old kid with felony stalking and want to try him as an adult for this? And they're gonna charge his friends with aiding and abetting? WTF.

ScottieK

[/ QUOTE ]

On the one hand, terrorizing a group of people who are unable to defend themselves is inexcusable.

On the other, a felony conviction on their records would pretty much send their lives down the crapper. Kiss the prospect of getting a decent job or finding an apartment to rent goodbye. Prison time would likely turn them into "real" criminals.

They'll probably plea down to a misdemenor charge with community service in the same nursing home.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agreee with this. Felony's repersucssions = too harsh. Misdemeanor's repercussions = not harsh enough. I think this is the blurry zone where public flogging has its place.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed... The thought of these kids having to explain on every job application their felony charges for throwing water on someone sounds too harsh to me. Now if someone could prove to me that there was a major medical problem this could have caused, or if it was done out in the wilderness somewhere where the elderly could have had trouble staying warm I could go for it, but getting a old person wet and cold shouldn't be a felony.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you take a gun to a robbery never intending to shoot anyone, and someone somehow gets shot, you're responsible. Rightly so. There are dangers inherent in the situation you created.

These jerks didn't know that one of the elderly people didn't have high blood pressure, a heart problem, or wouldn't need dangerous adjustments in their medications because of this incident. There's no reason to charge the perps with murder, since they didn't commit that. But they set up the conditions in which it could have happened.

What would we be saying now if one of the people had a stroke, a heart attack, or died? And what's the difference between that and what happened? Pure chance. The kids were gambling at inappropriate stakes. They got lucky no one got really hurt. Nobody should be allowed to gamble with others' lives like that. These kids deserve plenty of punishment.

These are not normal everyday kids making the kind of mistake or lapse in judgment pretty much anyone could make, by any stretch of the imagination.
Old 02-28-2007, 02:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
F*ck their future. You make stupid mistakes when you're kids, yes. But at 16, you have enough mental capacity to know that what you're doing here is crossing the line. I hope they never get a job, ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, you have enough capacity to know it's wrong, but you certainly aren't thinking, "Man, I better get away after this because this is a felony crime that is going to f' my entire future up."

The poster above who laid out a good community service + therapy sentence is spot on.