Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2007, 05:07 AM

Default Re: Why are some people not Christian?

Is OP serious? "How is it possible NOT to be a christian?"

Why does the so-called "Science, Math and Philosophy" board always degenerate into some inane argument about whether or not god exists? You are a physical creature in a physical universe. For evidence of this, see THE ENTIRETY OF MODERN SCIENCE. What part of you is going on after you die? Your entire modality of being is through embodiment... you can't even conceptualize what it would be like to exist disembodied, why the hell would you believe that such existence exists? If you do, why would you think that it's good in any way? Mostly, what could possibly make you think that your belief is the most reasonable one out there?

What makes god's law law? Is it right in itself, or right because god says so? If the latter, what happens if god changes its mind? How does your soul interact with your body? Does it cause your body? Do you have free will? It's difficult for any genuine theology to accommodate free will, but the entirety of christian moral theory depends on it. There are so many absurd and unsolvable problems with any dogmatic theism that always result in a "that's the mystery of faith" type response from someone like OP. And yet you have the nerve to suggest that there's some sort of deficiency in my reason for NOT sharing your beliefs?!

The only reason we think of ourselves as monads or atoms (or our "souls" or whatever as monadic or atomic) is because of the linguistic constructs we are constantly employing to discuss the issue. Try knowing something about science, math or philosophy next time. Sorry if this is coming across as harsh, but I think the question OP should have asked is:

"In 2007 in a developed, educated and scientific country, how can anyone possibly believe in god/religion?"
Old 02-24-2007, 05:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"In 2007 in a developed, educated and scientific country, how can anyone possibly believe in god/religion?"

[/ QUOTE ]

In the developed, educated, and scientific countries, they don't, generally.
Old 02-24-2007, 05:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This has been something that has pestered me lately and I just don't think it makes sense inuitively to not be. Even more important and what I'm truly getting at is why do people not believe? I know there are satanics and other religions who do not believe in God but there are also people who do not have ANY FAITH whatsoever and my question is why?

1. It doesn't make psychological sense.
2. So the earth was made by whom then? ;- )
3. Why wouldn't you be? You have nothing to gain buy not following the word of God as he set it out.

I'm sure there are more people who can add to this in detail but this is what I could come up with on a moments notice.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're trolling, right?

I would probably believe in the Christian God if I had any little indication that anything in Christianity made sense. If I had any sign that such a God existed etc.
Old 02-24-2007, 06:26 AM

Why would anyone be christian, really?
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Of course, it doesn't.
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] and who was god made by then ;-)
[ QUOTE ]
Why wouldn't you be? You have nothing to gain buy not following the word of God as he set it out.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have everything to loose by following a god depicted, in the bible, as lying, being hateful and behaving in horrible way from a human morality viewpoint.

I'm sure there are more people who can add to this in detail but this is what I could come up with on a moments notice.
Old 02-24-2007, 06:44 AM

judaeism alone makes up less than 1%

you should try not taking things out of context for the specific purpose of trolling, it's lame and uncontructive
Old 02-24-2007, 06:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You're reasonings are trite, incorrect, and lacking fundamentals.

[/ QUOTE ]

This from someone who can't believe the whole planet isn't convinced of Christianity's truth on these three bases.

[ QUOTE ]
3. Why wouldn't you be? You have nothing to gain buy not following the word of God as he set it out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Notice, not one of these arguments gives any evidence that the Christian god exists in any way. They lack any fundamental logic whatsoever. Also, I don't think I could find a statement that more accurately defines trite than "so the earth was made by whom then".

Honestly, OP does bring up a good point though. How could anyone actually believe in Christianity. I always feel like if I sit and talk with Christians for a couple of hours, they'll have to realize how silly the whole thing is, but they never do. I mean it's so obvious. How do they miss it?
Old 02-24-2007, 06:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]

You'd think [censored] like you would have learnt some humility by now, after having been proven wrong about almost everything. No, schizophrenics aren't possessed by demons, you idiots. Simple, impersonal biology. No, the sun isn't driven by turtles or elephants or chariots or Gods. Simple, impersonal physics. No, there ain't some dude in the sky running a lightning and thunder show, who's responsible for all the rain. Just the impersonal forces of nature. You can slaughter all the animals/people you want to appease the weather God(s), your crops won't get a drop more rain, and you'll still be an idiot.

For everything they can't explain, people with your lack of imagination have always postulated a ghost in the machine. And they have ALWAYS been proven wrong. An observant man would learn to be humble and cautious before invoking an argument that's been proven wrong more times than any other in the history of thought.

[/ QUOTE ]This is good writing.
Old 02-24-2007, 06:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
judaeism alone makes up less than 1%

you should try not taking things out of context for the specific purpose of trolling, it's lame and uncontructive

[/ QUOTE ]

The other xtians church, and the muslims, are at each other throats, why should they not focus on what they all seem to agree to, the OT?

I think it is very constructive.

Sorry you don't see it. I guess yours is a typically narrow-minded x-brand of christianity or islam view.

Of course from your perspective everyone should become catholic. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-24-2007, 07:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I hate to invoke FSP, but why would you be Christian when you could be Pastafarian? You must be really be nuts or something!

[/ QUOTE ] You are not funny.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't trying to be funny. Just trying to match your logic.
Old 02-24-2007, 07:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I hate to invoke FSP, but why would you be Christian when you could be Pastafarian? You must be really be nuts or something!

[/ QUOTE ] You are not funny.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't trying to be funny. Just trying to match your logic.

[/ QUOTE ]You did. OP, what's the difference in logic between what Lestat said and what you said?