Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 01:17 PM

Default Re: Starting over AND getting a student !!

1) What site do you play?
Party Poker, Stars or Full Tilt

2) What limits do you play?
25NL 6-max

3) Experience?
Started playing poker two years ago and found this website shortly after buying Small Stakes Holde'Em. Played much the first 6 months and made decent profit and where ready to take shots at 100NL, but then came bonuses and military service, and I didnt have time to play all that much anymore. So while in the army I just bonuswhored for a year straight which were much more profitable for a uNL player and made much moola. Last 6 months Ive been trying to play more, but some personal problems hindered me from playing as much as I needed to progress as a player. Now Im ready to take it seriously again and I want to reach higher than before.

4) Goals with poker (for instance what limits are you trying to reach)?
Money is not the issue, I make enough sportsbetting to support myself, this is more for the challenge sake, though I wont mind the money at higher limits [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
I see myself at 200NL or 400NL in a year, maybe higher, but that is my main goal for the year.

And also I guess it will be easier to be motivated to play when we are "partners" as one always wants to beat the other or feel one has to do something for the other, so ya, I feel its easier when your not alone at the thing you do.

Hope to hear from you and good luck!
Old 02-22-2007, 01:34 PM

I知 playing E10nl on IrishEyes, I won E20 from a sponsorship deal that they have with our university poker society and ran it up. I致e been playing poker for about 3 years live (mostly tournaments) and made the switch to online about a year ago. I知 trying to build a bankroll at the moment, currently at E180.

I used to play GBPnl25 on Betfair, I was way underrolled but took off E550 profit for various expenses before I busted.

I have 11k hands on pokertracker at 10nl, at 5.81BB/100. I play a LAGish style, (46.64, 17.24, 2.45). I知 trying to get the most out of pokertracker at the moment and it would be great to have somebody explain it and point out leaks in my game, etc. I took a shot at 20nl, ran at -19.11 BB/100 over 500 hands and dropped back down.

I致e done lots of reading, HOH 1 & 2, Super System 1 & 2, caro痴 book of poker tells, TOP, PPLTP, and some others. I知 currently reading Mathematics of Poker and Secrets of professional Pot Limit Omaha. (Been playing PLO for about a year).

I知 studying Financial Mathematics in University (4 year course), currently in my second year. I have a very strong background in maths and finance. I have an online brokerage account and started a portfolio after cashing in a large (E220 entry) tournament. I知 trading LEAPs and doing well. If you had any questions about investing, etc. I could probably help you out.

Feel free to ask anything you want.
Old 02-22-2007, 02:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

is Party really that much softer for the 25NL-100NL levels?

[/ QUOTE ]
I can only really speak for the 100nl+ limits but those are heaven compared to stars/ftp. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I am going to try and push my student towards the 100/200nl limits and party is awesome for that. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
I have 11k hands on pokertracker at 10nl, at 5.81BB/100. I play a LAGish style, (46.64, 17.24, 2.45). I知 trying to get the most out of pokertracker at the moment and it would be great to have somebody explain it and point out leaks in my game, etc. I took a shot at 20nl, ran at -19.11 BB/100 over 500 hands and dropped back down.

[/ QUOTE ]
This part stood out for me in your post, just a reminder that 46/17/2ish is not lag thats a tag who's limping to much.

My stats of 25/23/3 or so is closer to laggish. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-22-2007, 02:53 PM

Party Poker

NL10

3) Experience?
I used to play nl25 to nl100 a year ago, I had a 1k roll and went busto because of lack of knowledge and tilt.
I got a free 50$ recently and ran it up to 120$ on absolute, then to 500$ on stars (12bb/100) all at nl10
Took a shot at nl25(nitfest), lost 125$(just bad run i played ok, wouldnt of happened w/ party donks id bet). Now im just rebuilding it back to nl25

4) Goals with poker (for instance what limits are you trying to reach)? I went to play nl200 actively, that is the limit that i like the most since it is there where theres enough bad players to be profitable and 200$ is good money.

I have an iq of over 145 (mensa) im very logical but i cant critizies MYSELF, i very often need someone to make me realise my mistakes. I do learn fast though. Im not going back to school till september and lately i have not had a job so i have got as much time as you need

Thank you for considering me and sorry for the grammar, im hungover [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

im ~22/20/2.5 i love RAZZ and plo aswell
Old 02-22-2007, 02:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Party, FTP, UB. Mainly UB clearing sign-up.
According to my current feel I prefer games this way:
UB > Party > FTP.

50NL 6m

3) Experience?
About 1 year. Started with limit, moved to NL about 9 months ago. Moved up to 100NL, played alright and ran well, then played worse and ran horrible, moved down again. Ran even worse for a while stopping my momentous downswing eventually.
Rebuilding until now and will continue to do that as soon as I get my internet in the new apartment (about 2 weeks to go).

4) Goals with poker (for instance what limits are you trying to reach)?
I'm trying to generate enough cash to finance my 2 month trip to SA (September) and while being there paying my bills playing 100 or (hopefully) 200NL part time.
Aside from that, my goal is to become a regular at 200NL by the end of the year.

5) How much time/hands do you plan on investing? (I'm sure you wanted to ask this)
I'm aiming to play an average of 2 hours per day, probably in 2 sessions (45min almost every morning, ~1.5h most evenings, around 2-4h on weekend days).
4 tabling most of the time, probably switching to 6 tables later on.
My goal is to play 15k hands per month minimum. 20k would be great.

[/ QUOTE ]

Copy pasting this from a PM I got from kazana.
Old 02-22-2007, 03:01 PM

Hello Freelancer,

I play 50NL on Party with a $1,200 Bankroll. I have been playing poker for 3 years but only recently have I started to seriously try to improve my game. On January 1st, 2007 I began playing 25NL 6-Max with a $500 Bankroll. Over 15,000 hands at 25NL I won at a rate of 6ptbb/100. I have recently moved up to 50NL 6-Max on Party and I am winning 5.51ptbb/100 over my first 10,000 Hands. I would like to get to 200NL in the next 2 Months, and I am confident in taking shots. I have mainly been reading posts in the Master Sticky at this point in time, but I have posted a couple of hands in uNL. Right now I feel that i may be missing a lot of value in certain situations, and I am really focused on mastering the fundamentals so that I may improve and move up in stakes. I hope I have the qualifications to be considered.

Thanks,

tony318
Old 02-22-2007, 03:20 PM

jetsetboy:

i need some FR pointers. i'll teach u some 6-max stuff, maybe a some kinda swap deal

others:

this is a great opportunity for you all. freelancer is a good player and i'd estimate that if u work seriously and put in the hours, the coaching is worth several thousands of dollars.
Old 02-22-2007, 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
jetsetboy:

i need some FR pointers. i'll teach u some 6-max stuff, maybe a some kinda swap deal

others:

this is a great opportunity for you all. freelancer is a good player and i'd estimate that if u work seriously and put in the hours, the coaching is worth several thousands of dollars.

[/ QUOTE ]
Haha, thanks for the kind words.

People; I gotta run now, later. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-22-2007, 03:30 PM

Hi Freelancer,

First of all, thanks for doing this, whoever will be your student, I think he will be very grateful to you. Then some info about me. To start of some general info. I am a 27 year old student Civil engineering at the Technical university of Delft, yep the netherlands( heard that was a pre).
then about my pokerhistory, I copied this from my blog, where u can read more about my development.

I started playing poker in September 2006. I became interested when I watched some poker programs on TV, like Monday Night Poker. I started playing at PartyPoker for play money and as we all know this is crap. You absolutely learn nothing from playing with play money. You can better play the lottery and you will learn more. Although it frustrated me you cant learn the basics of poker by playing for play money, my interest in the game grew. I searched the web and found a dutch poker site, pokernews.nl, where they offered a $50 bankroll without a deposit on PartyPoker. Next to that Party offered to increase this $50 with $25 after you played 750 raked hands. So my bankroll as well as my "poker career" was born.
At this time I never read a book about poker and hardly ever read any forum about poker. So as you probably can predict, after about a month my whole $75 bankroll was lost. I played some cashtables on too high limits, didn't know anything about the game really and failure was unavoidable.
But this didn't diminish my interest for poker, only my spending power. I searched for other ways to get free money and found it at Everest Poker. They offer free S&G's where you can win up to 5 whole cents. After winning 5 cents you can play a S&G for 5 cent and win 20 cent. I planned to play as the 5 cent tables till i got 1 dollar, 10 times the next buyin of 10 cents.
In about 2 months I played about 200 S&G's and reached the 50 cent table by applying my plan. My bankroll reached $4,85 with a total ROI of 24%.
Ofcourse this is nothing spectacular, but I think I learned a lot by playing as much as i did. Next to that I bought my first 2 books. First The Theory of Poker by David Sklansky and second Harrington on Holdem by Dan Harrington. Both excellent books, the first about poker in general, the second about tournament play.
Then on the first of December PartyPoker gave me $15 for free, to stimulate me to play on their site again. Because I learned discipline is an very important factor in playing winning poker, I decided to play as disciplined with this $15 on Party as I did on Everest. And it worked. Part of sticking to this discipline was playing more tables at once. I started with 2 then 3 and now play 4 at a time. Some of you might wonder if this was a wise thing to do, I think it was. It prevents me from playing crap hands in bad position. It is better to concentrate on a good hand at 1 of 4 tables than to play crap hands at one table, cause you are getting bored.
Another fact that improved my game was the use of Pokeroffice, a great tool that keeps track of the hands you play and the way your opponents play. I first downloaded the trial version, but it only tracks about 300 hands. I was quickly convinced this tool would be a great addition, so I bought it. And I can say it was worth every cent.
I played at the NL5 tables and managed to win $313 in December in almost 24000 hands. I even took a shot at the NL10, but this was not a great success. I lost $45 in about 1700 hands.
So I decided to stay at NL5 to learn more about cashgaming.
In January I kept playing at the NL5 tables. Up till now I played 9500+ hands and won $200. 1 short session of only 50 hands at NL10 doubled my buyin and won $10.
I also started to read another book in January, it is Weighing the Odds by Yao. A very interesting and mathematical book.

So there is some background. At the moment I am playing on Titan and partypoker NL10, FR as well as 6max, especially the switch to 6max is hard I think.
My goals in poker is first of all to improve in the game and move up in the limits. To support my self and hoepfully to give others a good reading I have a blog panicnl.blogspot.com. Since this month I am setting goals for my self in terms of BR improvement winrate and number of hands played.
I know that an essential part of poker is the money, and I certainly understand that without money at stake the game would not be what it is. BUT I dont play the game for money, I play the game cause I like it, the decision making, the information collecting, the puzzle you ahve to solve every hand. And offcourse when you can buy some nice stuff at the end that is great but not the main reason I play this game.

any questions please shoot.
Old 02-22-2007, 03:36 PM

I think this is an awesome idea. I also think that whoever you choose should then be prepared to do this same for someone else......share the love [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I have been playing poker for 1.5 years, playing Nl for about 7 months. I play in the evenings after work and although I have read some of the main books i dont feel like I have grasped the concepts fully.

I currently play at absolute but have no qualms playing on party. I have a current roll of 1100. I play NL50 mostly but have been trying to take shots at NL100 all week (underolled I know) which has lead me to question my understanding of the game.

My main goal in poker is to be successful at it, to continue to make improvements in my game and to maximise my full potential...... the skys the limit : )

In short I would love this opportunity if not by you then another 2+2er or maybe even your protege.

Good luck to both of you.
Closed Thread