Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2007, 07:22 PM

Default Re: For atheists....how?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My thinking has led me to believe that death isn't really possible because an end to a subjective perception isn't possible because there is no reference point outside of this subjective perception that can define it as ended. So I guess that means the last millisecond of life will last an eternity... or perhaps all this is just the last millisecond of some earlier life. Regardless my reasoning won't allow existence to end (though I can certainly see how it might change around a hell of a lot). I reached this conclusion a few years ago then later encountered it in Borges, Buddhism, and Schopenhauer.

[/ QUOTE ]

What are you talking about? You may recall all those people that you have seen that are now dead? Your reference point surely defines them as dead. There is nothing mystical about your own experiences ceasing, they just do. It's similar to if you are knocked unconscious, but permanently. I'm guessing you have slept before.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't seem to understand what the word "subjective" means. Me watching someone die doesn't mean that they've experienced death and it doesn't mean that I will either.

Dreams to me seem like evidence for an afterlife of some kind as they reveal the possibility of a vast subjective universe that is independent of collective waking reality (at least, consciously independent, usually).
Old 02-20-2007, 07:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

When I die, I cease to exist, just like the hurricane rages over the land becomes weaker and finally is gone.

[/ QUOTE ]
Right, but what's it like from the hurricane's pov?
Old 02-20-2007, 07:32 PM

To me Zeno's paradox just shows that math is flawed as a model of reality... I don't see any relation to the issue of dying.
Old 02-20-2007, 08:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
. So my question for you all is how do you deal with this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Just accept it like any other unpalatable truth, or don’t if you can.

Unfortunately some of us have a severely compromised ability to delude ourselves. Just hope you’re not similarly flawed.
Old 02-20-2007, 09:24 PM

Everything dies! Animals, bugs, microbes, humans, plants, etc.
Anything that's so universal as death can't be bad. It's nature's way of continuing the cycle of life.
Your problem probably has something to do with being taught that humans are special animals. I don't think so. We're only the animals that WE think are at the top of the food chain.
Life is nothing more than a brief existence of "conciousness" between two eternities.
When you die you'll probably just go back to where you were before you were born.
Worrying about it is like trying to shovel steam.
If its REALLY bothering you, go latch on to some religion to make you feel more comfortable. It doesn't matter which one. They're all equally true.

'nuf sed
Old 02-20-2007, 09:31 PM

Most will realize at some point in there life it doesnt matter what you want there to be.

That has no determination to where you will go after you die.

What you want to be true doesnt matter either. Cause if what you want to be true isnt, then all the wanting means nothing.

So considering a change in beliefs just cause your afraid of your current ones won't matter.

You'll find out when you die.

But as an insurance policy you might want to pray to this made up person called Jesus Christ once in a while, may help ya if there is this made up place called heaven.
Old 02-20-2007, 09:45 PM

Two things humans will never understand:

-Nullity
-Infinity

This set is extensible in a few ways and is analogous to the pairs of nothingness:everything, nonexistance:existance, etc etc.

The reason why there's no answer to "what happens to me if I die and death means I simply cease to exist," is because conjectures about the answer are completely meaningless because it is a case of nullity and nothingness.

Asking what happens to you when you die (assuming you believe the fullest explaination is that you cease to exist) is analogous to asking you to sum up your life in 1 minute if you are immortal and will never die. It's a question that has no answer by definition.
Old 02-20-2007, 09:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Most will realize at some point in there life it doesnt matter what you want there to be.

What you want to be true doesnt matter either. Cause if what you want to be true isnt, then all the wanting means nothing.

So considering a change in beliefs just cause your afraid of your current ones won't matter.

But as an insurance policy you might want to pray to this made up person called Jesus Christ once in a while, may help ya if there is this made up place called heaven.

[/ QUOTE ]

And all this after I tried to explain to you the absurdity of Pascal's Wager. Some people never learn.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And all this after I tried to explain to you the absurdity of Pascal's Wager. Some people never learn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Personally I think just for him to come up with that was pretty impressive. Now it is absurd in the way that you can fake a belief in something you don't really think exists. It doesnt work like that.

I don't think you should believe in God if you don't, I do think you may want to look into the possiblity of it and maybe do the steps that others have done that gave them there strong belief. It says in the bible if ye pray and ask if I am real with a pure heart, he will reveal that answer to you with an undenyable feeling. If you refuse to even try, thats your own choice. And you either made a good one or a very bad one. Im sure you will find out before me

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-20-2007, 10:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Personally I think just for him to come up with that was pretty impressive. Now it is absurd in the way that you can fake a belief in something you don't really think exists. It doesnt work like that.

I don't think you should believe in God if you don't, I do think you may want to look into the possiblity of it and maybe do the steps that others have done that gave them there strong belief. It says in the bible if ye pray and ask if I am real with a pure heart, he will reveal that answer to you with an undenyable feeling. If you refuse to even try, thats your own choice. And you either made a good one or a very bad one. Im sure you will find out before me

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe that if you believe in God, you will go to hell. So you might want to stop believing, as an insurance policy, ya know?