Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2007, 07:10 PM

Default Re: for Dems/Repub\'s - who do you NOT want to see nominated for Prez.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm curious--why so much hate for McCain? He was very popular not that long ago.

[/ QUOTE ]

One big problem I see with McCain is that he doesn't believe in free speech: see McCain-Feingold Act.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have already stated how much I dislike McCain, but you assertion is ridiculous. Just because he sponsored a campaign-finance-reform act does not mean he "doesn't believe in free speech."
Old 02-20-2007, 08:19 PM

The only reason he went that direction was because he wouldn't be able to get past the primaries otherwise. Oddly enough, the current political climate would be a perfect storm for the 'old McCain'. Now that he's attempted to win his party's base to get the nomination, he's effectivly tossed out any chance of him winning anything.

Besides, he was never really what the media made him out to be. he was always one of the most conservative Senators in the Senate, he just marketed himself well.
Old 02-21-2007, 04:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm curious--why so much hate for McCain? He was very popular not that long ago.

[/ QUOTE ]

One big problem I see with McCain is that he doesn't believe in free speech: see McCain-Feingold Act.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have already stated how much I dislike McCain, but you assertion is ridiculous. Just because he sponsored a campaign-finance-reform act does not mean he "doesn't believe in free speech."

[/ QUOTE ]

In my view it does, because the Act he sponsored outlaws certain forms of free speech.

One can't believe in free speech only part of the time or only by certain entities and still be considered to "believe in free speech."
Old 02-21-2007, 07:06 PM

Hilary will yell far too loud after the Iowa Caucus. It's going to be over for her.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In my view it does, because the Act he sponsored outlaws certain forms of free speech.

One can't believe in free speech only part of the time or only by certain entities and still be considered to "believe in free speech."

[/ QUOTE ]

Then I guess there is no free speech in America (or anywhere else in the world), because you cannot say anything you want at any time.

By your definition, all of the candidates are against free speech.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Then I guess there is no free speech in America (or anywhere else in the world), because you cannot say anything you want at any time.

By your definition, all of the candidates are against free speech.

[/ QUOTE ]

I said "only part of the time" and "only by certain entities" - not "any thing you want". Obviously nobody hads the right to yell "Fire!" in a crowded theater because it is sheer endangerment with no other purpose - except if there really is a fire.

That's a different topic, though. Do you have any examples that actually fit the criteria I described?
Old 02-22-2007, 12:10 AM

As a registered independent, I guess I can have an opinion on both. For the democrats, I'd hate to see Hilary. For the Republicans, I wouldn't like Gulliani. Both have a lot of very public baggage that'll be hard to overcome in the primaries. What else do they have in common? They're probably the most authoritarian of the front runners in their respective parties. <soap box>Republican or Democrat, it's imperative that we drag both parties kicking and screaming back into an area where they respect the rights of us citizens.</soap box>
Old 02-22-2007, 12:22 AM

after Hillary's BS today bitching about the contributors who have defected to Obama, I can guarantee you 100% that if Hillary is nominated I will not be voting Democratic in 2008 -

RB
Old 02-22-2007, 12:24 AM

Hillary 'cause she wants to ban video games.