Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Is the Tactic of Fighting to Keep Tom Delay's Name on Texas Ballots Ethical?
No, it is not ethical. 17 60.71%
Yes, it is ethical. 6 21.43%
Neither 5 17.86%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-16-2007, 12:32 AM

Default Re: Is this considered offensive?

Damn Jamie Lee was looking great in that movie. The scene when she shows her rack at her apartment is amazing.
Old 02-16-2007, 12:40 AM

Ahaha, yeah Trading Places is one of my favorite movies. Eddie Murphy on top of his game, great cast, just great period. Anyways, the video blog...DN you just can't try to please everyone. Offensive or not (I gotta be honest, it did skeeve me out) you're still ok in my book.
Old 02-16-2007, 12:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Trading Places spends an entire movie setting up a context based on class and race differences, so when they do that bit in blackface it does not even register on the audience, because it fits seamlessly with the premise and tone of the movie. That dynamic is absent from your video blog.

The people responsible for that bit are professional writers/directors and comedians/actors--they can skirt the boundaries of being offensive and still pull it off because they are pros. A lot of us probably didn't think you were funny enough to pull off this kind of parody.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, so if I hired the same writes to do the bit, and you found it funny, are you saying that it would no longer be offensive?
Old 02-16-2007, 12:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In my opinion, there are too many hateful posters in this newsgroup that aren't out to either listen or learn, but instead to look for fault in anything that I were to say or do. It's just not worth it to me. I have a forum that I post in regularly that's comfortable for me.

[/ QUOTE ]
daniel ur posting in a forum about railbirding and poker celebrity gossip. of course people are going to goof off and be asses here

i dont expect u to, but if u were to post in the strategy forums im sure people would be respectful
Old 02-16-2007, 12:46 AM

"Posting in the strat forums here would be akin to me just banging my head against the wall, seriously. "

dn the strat forums are nothing like the bs forums like nvg, bbv and oot. your statement comes off as fairly ignorant since you could easily post a few times and see for yourself. do you even ever read the strat forums? some of those gusy, esp in hsnl, are sick good.
Old 02-16-2007, 12:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"Posting in the strat forums here would be akin to me just banging my head against the wall, seriously. "

dn the strat forums are nothing like the bs forums like nvg, bbv and oot. your statement comes off as fairly ignorant since you could easily post a few times and see for yourself. do you even ever read the strat forums? some of those gusy, esp in hsnl, are sick good.

[/ QUOTE ]
Exactly. 99% of the posters wouldn't even know you were there and the ones that are, would appreciate your input.
Old 02-16-2007, 12:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
In my opinion, there are too many hateful posters in this newsgroup that aren't out to either listen or learn, but instead to look for fault in anything that I were to say or do. It's just not worth it to me. I have a forum that I post in regularly that's comfortable for me.

[/ QUOTE ]
daniel ur posting in a forum about railbirding and poker celebrity gossip. of course people are going to goof off and be asses here

i dont expect u to, but if u were to post in the strategy forums im sure people would be respectful

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe you are right, but I disagree with so much of what's written in those forums that I doubt it would go over well. The approach to poker in general, is often so different from the way I see it.

Besides, it gets annoying after a while, having to argue with random people as to the best strategy to win million dollar tournaments. I welcome discussion about the game, but I have a circle of friends that I discuss poker with: Ivey, Harman, Lindgren, Juanda, Cunningham, and others. It's safer to talk to them then discuss poker in a forum where you will get chastised if you don't use terms like "Standard Deviation" and "EV." Probably my two least favorite phrases in the world.
Old 02-16-2007, 12:57 AM

Are you kidding, have you ever seen a jamaican? that is exactly how they act and look and talk. He wasnt offending anyone simply showing people who havent had the chance to see or meet one exactly what they are like.
Old 02-16-2007, 12:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Trading Places spends an entire movie setting up a context based on class and race differences, so when they do that bit in blackface it does not even register on the audience, because it fits seamlessly with the premise and tone of the movie. That dynamic is absent from your video blog.

The people responsible for that bit are professional writers/directors and comedians/actors--they can skirt the boundaries of being offensive and still pull it off because they are pros. A lot of us probably didn't think you were funny enough to pull off this kind of parody.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, so if I hired the same writes to do the bit, and you found it funny, are you saying that it would no longer be offensive?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, all along I've been saying that it was mostly offensive on a comedic level.

Again, it has nothing to do with my opinion, or the opinion of the posters here, or any one group's perception of your work...

If you want to do edgy (read: race-related) humor, you have to be really sharp with it in order to let people look past the fact that you are doing risque stuff. If your timing, material and delivery aren't perfect, and if there is no real message or point to the parody, people will get caught up in the racial or controversial aspects. That is why Chris Rock can do a routine about how there are "two types of black people" but Michael from The Office can't.
Old 02-16-2007, 12:59 AM

Everyone who considered DN's skit offensive needs a reality check.

Also DN- I doubt you would check chastised for not using terms like "Standard Deviation" and "EV" here.