Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2007, 08:27 PM

Default Re: Is Triple Draw really worth it?

[ QUOTE ]
So meta game to one side, why play it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because gambling is fun. And this is as close to gambling as I will get.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 01-30-2007, 06:47 AM

To be fair, I did say fun as well. I do think its fun too. But if I want fun I can jerj off on the Net.

gl

bdd
Old 01-30-2007, 12:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Phat,

When I wrote the example I was pretty aware it wasn't a good one. I just didnt want to do a Sklansky and say "Imagine a holdem game with 14 players and 1 card..." The general point is that some poker games reward better decision making more than others. The problem with TD, as far as I can see, is that in quite a few spots the play is so rote that the decision making is somewhat removed and bad and good players alike end up playing the same. This reduces win rate. Also, like a lot of low only games, there is a big luck factor. But more so. This increases variance. So fun and meta game to one side, why play it? I think I'm done with it now.

gl

bdd

[/ QUOTE ]

oddly enough I think the bad players at Razz are still quite exploitable. There are players who will call bets on 6th street when just looking at the exposed cards, they should realize they are drawing dead. (granted Razz has more information so its a lot easier to identify the person playing so poorly)
Old 01-30-2007, 01:18 PM

I find it a nice change from Razz to be able to play PL just wish there was PL Razz.
Old 01-30-2007, 01:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
To be fair, I did say fun as well. I do think its fun too. But if I want fun I can jerj off on the Net.

gl

bdd

[/ QUOTE ]

But how big an edge do you really have jerking off? these days anyone can use the net to jerk off. Your outcome will just be the same as those bad jerkoffs
Old 01-30-2007, 04:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The general problem is that any poker game where decision outcomes, regardless of how they are derived, are the same for both expert and fish is going to be one with a lower win rate. And it seems to me that there are a *lot* of scenarios where this is the case in Triple Draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes but there are plenty of situations where this is not the case.

I'm just ending a trip to Vegas and played quite a bit in mixed games. A lot of these folks are awful, calling raises and drawing 3 (and not even w/ a 23) calling a BB and drawing 2 in smallish pots. Also tells that are much more obvious and reliable, not to mention that position is huge. You just know if the guy made or missed his draw.

I dunno, maybe I was just blessed with a good games. But if they stay that way I won't complain.
Old 01-30-2007, 07:56 PM

All my jerk offs have a happy ending.

gl

bdd
Old 01-30-2007, 11:35 PM

I'm sure a lot of people are bad but not all the examples you gave are necessarily representative of that. Low to mid limit games are extremely straightforward so that's why you think its so easy in position, they never bluff!

-DeathDonkey
Old 01-31-2007, 01:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"Imagine a holdem game with 14 players and 1 card..."

[/ QUOTE ]

*giggle toot*
Old 02-05-2007, 04:10 PM

the vast majority of the info in this thread is just flat out wrong. a good player in 2-7 has a significantly bigger edge in the game than a similarly good player in almost all games, just with (admittedly, significantly) higher variance.

bad players simply do not adapt properly in this game and play predictably. a good player can utilize position, a bad player can't. a good player draws smooth in multiway pots, a bad player doesn't. a bad player misses value often (more often than in other games since it's not always obvious), a good player doesn't. a bad player doesn't break 78s or 9s when s/he should, a good player does. a bad player doesn't ever try to make people break when they will, a good player does.

triple draw is, quite simply, a money machine, and people who don't understand more advanced concepts about the game will always feel like it's "just gambling." bluntly, they're wrong. the game is just less obvious than other games when it comes to playing well as opposed to not-poorly, but that's precisely why a good player will have a significantly bigger edge in this game than others.