Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2007, 04:09 PM

Default Re: Issues at 25c/50c up to 1/2 Stud Hi

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Jer Bear,

In a nutshell, stud is a game where 3rd street decisions are vital to the rest of the hand. I think your conclusion your drew above is...pretty good...but don't think that 5th is the make or break point. Third is the make or break point. I think you realize that but I wanted to reinforce it. I do see alot of holdem players try to play stud by playing every hand till 5th regardless of what the starting cards are. They're spewing badly but I don't think they understand that.

Anyway, looking at your analysis of your game above & from previous posts, it seems that you need to tighten your starting hand requirements a little for stud. When your draws start going south on 4th & definitely by 5th...fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well lets see...
-I hardly start with any 3cardst8 because ive read that they usually are losers unless handled correctly, where i know i don't.

-3 card flushes I will continue with if there's only 2 or less doorcards. If i don't improve on 4th, i almost always continue to 5th, which might be a little loose.

Pairs i will continue with if my cards are live or if i have 2 or 3 overcards to the board.

If villian pairs doorcard with "live" cards, then do we assume he has 2 pair already and/or a set? I think maybe there i might be drawing for extra cards and getting stuck for more bets. Are you online now? shadow? PM me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not online right now. sorry.

The reason I brought that up is that you didn't mention your 3rd street starting hands. But, as you pointed out, the 3 flush & continuing to 5th when bricking 4th is a little loose to me. If your draw was totally live then proceed, maybe even raise to build a pot if you're running good. Also, it is best in stud to be drawing to the nut flush, not some smaller flush that could lose even if you made it.

With pairs, always consider what your opponent may have & not just that your cards are live. "Overcards to the board" can get you in alot trouble...go easy with them. Remember, betting patterns in a limit game usually tell a story. Same as LHE.

There is definitely something to be said when your opp pairs his door especially if he raised on 3rd. If he didn't raise 3rd & paired his door & still check/called you past 5th...I'd smell a rat. He maybe walking the dog.
Old 01-24-2007, 06:26 PM

Bear based on the stats you posted the advice by "Air" is horrible.

"Anyway, looking at your analysis of your game above & from previous posts, it seems that you need to tighten your starting hand requirements a little for stud. When your draws start going south on 4th & definitely by 5th...fold."

24% VPIP is very acceptable and, if anything, loosen up a bit and be more aggresive, the 6% is just weak/tight. The 6% indicates you are only raising with High pairs (1.3% x 4, plus steals), thereby exposing your cards to the better players. You might as well lay your cards face up. Major error. Gotta go but will be back.
Old 01-24-2007, 06:55 PM

Bear I have made the following four comments about your play.

1. "Bear it means, at the very least your hand reading skills are very bad. You see and understand your hand, but not the board. These stats are losers at FTP, which is where you play I think. Try Stars but I think holdem is a better choice. And remember to buckle up. Good luck"

2. W$WS4 26
This should be in the low 40s, but it might mean the stakes you're playing and/or your passive play on 4th and 5th.

3. "Air" is air

4. "24% VPIP is very acceptable and, if anything, loosen up a bit and be more aggresive, the 6% is just weak/tight. The 6% indicates you are only raising with High pairs (1.3% x 4, plus steals), thereby exposing your cards to the better players. You might as well lay your cards face up. Major error. Gotta go but will be back."

Bottom line on your play is that you are an open book to the table, in that if you complete on 3rd you have a high pair (split or wired) and if you call, your on a draw or have a low pair. Think about that for a second. Your ratio of VPIP to 3st raise is 25%. You are not thinking of what the table thinks of you. You are the best player to have at any table, WEAK/TIGHT.

Tighten up my !@#. I have yet to read a meaningful or thought provoking comment by Air since November. He is a master at stating the obvious. Chose wisely who you follow.
Old 01-24-2007, 07:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"FWIW, I agree totally with the scuttlebutt I hear on you Pokercpa."

A challenge "AIR". You Go or I Go! Let the posters vote. Do they want "Air" or the jerk that makes me think?

[/ QUOTE ]

Since we're voting, feel free to go. Brad's addressing the point and you're being a jackass and providing nothing of value. The only thing you've made me "think" is that you're wasting all out time.
Old 01-24-2007, 07:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

-3 card flushes I will continue with if there's only 2 or less doorcards. If i don't improve on 4th, i almost always continue to 5th, which might be a little loose.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a definite leak. You also want your 3-flushes to be high, since if you back-door into a pair on 4th you want it to have value. That's as much of your outs pool as the flush is. If you don't hit any of those 18 cards (ignoring dead ones) then you need to fold. Even the pair may have limited value if someone else paired a suspicious door card.

When you do play a high 3-flush, against thinking opponents often raise it so that you have a third way to win on 4th - by representing a high split pair you don't have.

Old 01-24-2007, 07:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Pairs i will continue with if my cards are live or if i have 2 or 3 overcards to the board.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's too loose - you do not want to end up on an underpair by choice. Read the SS1 stud chapter for the basic primer on how to avoid screwing up on 3rd.
Old 01-24-2007, 07:56 PM

I'll go if you can provide me with meaningful or thought provoking comment/idea by Air since November, in which the forum had a serious debate. He's the MAN when it comes to the obvious.
Old 01-24-2007, 08:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'll go if you can provide me with meaningful or thought provoking comment/idea by Air since November, in which the forum had a serious debate. He's the MAN when it comes to the obvious.

[/ QUOTE ]

You didn't say you'd conditionally go. You said you'd go. So I cast my vote. I suspect you were lying and will now change the conditions and stick around and annoy us regardless of how people vote, but on the small chance you were telling the truth I decided it was +EV to vote.
Old 01-24-2007, 08:03 PM

He didn't accept the offer SKIPPY.
Old 01-24-2007, 08:05 PM

Air Bradley