Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2007, 06:07 PM

Default Re: Canadian legislation

[ QUOTE ]
There was a story on TV and in a magazine about the ramifications of the US law about 3 weeks ago. The RCMP and a Minister (AG probably) both stated categorically that their position was that internet gaming was illegal.
My memory is fuzzy on exactly where this was but I will check to see if I can find it.

[/ QUOTE ]

The great thing about Canada is that even if they see it as "illegal", it will almost certainly go completely unenforced and basically unmentioned.
Old 01-29-2007, 08:04 PM

probably - but hearing them bring it up at all concerns me.

Though it is probably just as likely they end up fully legalizing it as a Crown corporation
Old 01-30-2007, 09:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
There was a story on TV and in a magazine about the ramifications of the US law about 3 weeks ago. The RCMP and a Minister (AG probably) both stated categorically that their position was that internet gaming was illegal.
My memory is fuzzy on exactly where this was but I will check to see if I can find it.

[/ QUOTE ]

The great thing about Canada is that even if they see it as "illegal", it will almost certainly go completely unenforced and basically unmentioned.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not completely true.

Here's an example of a B&M game that was raided.
Currently I have not heard of any one arrested for poker on the internet (probably due to the Native Tribes Licensing Issues) but they do regularly bust up B&M games. There was also another incident of this last year in Toronto but I couldn't find the press article.

here's the link

Police bust 68 and charge 'em in Ottawa poker raids

Police arrested 68 people. Eight are charged with keeping a common gaming house, and 60 are charged with being found in a common gaming house. One man was also charged with two counts of possession of a prohibited weapon.