Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2007, 03:06 PM

Default Re: The Well - gergery

In HU play other than trips or quads is there anything you fold preflop for 1/2 bet in the sb? Is your answer the same for limit as well as potlimit?
Old 01-23-2007, 03:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1) In a full ring game, do you generally limp or open raise strong A-wheel-wheel hands from UTG or UTG+? How about decent AAxx hands?

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on table conditions; ie. if i think lots will call i'll raise, if good tricky players are on button i'll be more passive, if i can limp-reraise i'll try that too

[ QUOTE ]
2) Do you cold call with good high only hands to raises?

[/ QUOTE ]

Often yes. the worse my oppponent play postflop the more likely i am to play those hands

[ QUOTE ]
3) Do you find the skill level required is greater for PLO/NL O8 than for LO8?

[/ QUOTE ]

thats philosophical question. if bigbet poker is like boxing, limit poker is like boxing with one arm tied behind your back. it takes a wider range of skills to be successful at bigbet poker and very good players have a bigger advantatge. but it takes a lot of skill to be a big winner at limit when you have fewer tools to work with. but i think if you take equally talented limit and bigbet players, you can make more with less variance at bigbet and its not close.

[ QUOTE ]
4) Generally, do you reraise good AA-wheel hands out of position? How about not so good AAxx hands?

[/ QUOTE ]

lots depends on stack sizes and quality of opposition. generally yes and no, respectively. its hard to answer the strategy-related questions because so much depends. i need to mix up my play so not predictable, account for my image, their image, their tendencies, so its very fluid

[ QUOTE ]
5) Are there any good books out there about PL/NL O8? I can't seem to find any.

[/ QUOTE ]

No. i have some sources for info on my site. Badger and crockpot and ciaffone have written best info widely available, but i disagree with some of what each of them have written

[ QUOTE ]
6) What time of day (EST) do you think the games are softest? I usually try to play from 10 PM - 2 AM, and find that games get worse afterwards.

[/ QUOTE ]

I find weekends are by far better than weekdays, and later hours you mention are very good.

[ QUOTE ]
7) Which site do you play on most?

[/ QUOTE ]

Stars and FT both roughly equally, maybe stars more

[ QUOTE ]
8) What kind of Pokertracker stats (like VPIP, etc.) do you have?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm something like VPIP 27, PFR 7 lifetime for PLO200-400 games for full ring.

[ QUOTE ]
9) If you play on FTP, how good do you think the pros are at PLO8? Which would you want to play with?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you mean the red name pros, then Matusow is only one that can hang with the best plo8ers imho and he's not better than the non-red pros who play higher stakes there. some of the others like cernuto are decent, and some of the others are frankly terrible. i'd be happy to have all of them play as it means games are running tho, lol.
Old 01-24-2007, 11:52 AM

what do you feel is the most expensive mistake commonly made in plo8?
Old 01-24-2007, 12:04 PM

One specific question. Say you are playing 15/30 LO8, so the BB is $15 and SB is $10. If you are the SB, should you almost always complete in an unraised pot with any 4 junks (except quads and trips in your hand) since hands run so close in value preflop and it just costs you 1/3 of the SB to see the flop (given that you know that BB is not a very aggressive player)?
Old 01-24-2007, 01:26 PM

biggest win?

biggest loss?

(single session)
Old 01-25-2007, 09:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I took them down, as people convinced me I was giving away too much good info for free

[/ QUOTE ]

How much then????

[/ QUOTE ]

how much to put them up? or to let you read them?
Old 01-25-2007, 10:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
more attractive:
Matt Damon or Edward Norton?

[/ QUOTE ]

Edward Norton is one of my favorite actors. He rocks. watch him as Worm in Rounders, then as the retarded guy in that Primal Fear, and of course Fight Club (but i can't talk about that...). Awesome range.

Damon wrote and acted in Good Will Hunting, which is one of my favorite movies tho.

I guess I'd have to pick Antonius...
Old 01-25-2007, 10:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In HU play other than trips or quads is there anything you fold preflop for 1/2 bet in the sb? Is your answer the same for limit as well as potlimit?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. hands like 289K rainbow i'd dump. you'd want to fold 1 so your opponent is encouraged to fold occasionally and doesn't pick up on your strategy, and 2 some hands aren't going to hit often enough or be bettable enough. answer is same for both.
Old 01-25-2007, 10:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what do you feel is the most expensive mistake commonly made in plo8?

[/ QUOTE ]

Playing for half the pot is one of the biggest. Here someone playing PLO8$10-20 needs to post to ask if he should continue when he'd be risking his stack ($1300) to win half the pot ($75). and he gets someone to advise him to do it.

You'd be hard pressed to find someone seriously posting in other forums like the highstakes NL forum "guy bets into me, i'm thinking about laying him 18:1 odds for my stack, should i do it?"
Old 01-25-2007, 10:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One specific question. Say you are playing 15/30 LO8, so the BB is $15 and SB is $10. If you are the SB, should you almost always complete in an unraised pot with any 4 junks (except quads and trips in your hand) since hands run so close in value preflop and it just costs you 1/3 of the SB to see the flop (given that you know that BB is not a very aggressive player)?

[/ QUOTE ]

no. some people think you have 5:1 odds, and almost no hand is that big a dog so you should complete. but reality is sometimes your opponent will raise preflop so now you're risking 20 to win 40, and a fair amount you don't get paid on the hands that hit but pay off on hands that miss due to positional disadvantage and fact that you're playing crappy cards. so your odds are in reality much worse than 5:1.
I'd fold a range of hands that are next level up from trips (hands like 38JKr, 499Kr etc.) and raise a bunch of other hands instead of calling with them. but i'd still be playing lots of hands, just not virtually all of them.