Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2006, 09:16 PM

Default Re: Prop bet: 5.2 mile run

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[censored], I bet I could walk 5 miles in an hour

[/ QUOTE ]

Somebody should take you up on this bet. You're most likely horribly wrong here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll take bets on my claim. 5 miles, one hour, walking
Old 12-19-2006, 09:19 PM

You're [censored]. For a marathon, he would have to run 26.2 in under 5 hours and 24 minutes. Making it 5 miles in under an hour is easy.
Old 12-19-2006, 09:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
5.2 miles in 60 minutes? If he is under 250 lbs and has both of his legs then you are in trouble.

[/ QUOTE ]

Choose one--Shoot him in the knee at T-minus 30 seconds; or lose a bunch of cash.

Entwine--$0(Choose both, because you're going to lose either way.)
Old 12-19-2006, 09:23 PM

I'm not an expert, but I've run (and finished) marathons. Any human adult, who is not handicapped in some form, and is not obese could do this. And many obese (not morbidly so) folks could probably do it as well.

The high-school gym class comparison is not valid. There's no incentive to run or try hard or finish in a resonable amount of time. Most high-school kids think gym (and most other classes) are a total joke. Why would they make an effort?

This bet is a no-brainer IMHO. Get ready to cough up $1k.
Old 12-19-2006, 09:24 PM

Wiki:

[ QUOTE ]
Power walking is walking at a speed at the upper end of the natural range for the walking gait, typically 4.5 to 5.5 mph. In this range walking and jogging are almost equally efficient, and the walking gait gives significantly less impact to the joints.

Power walking has been recommended increasingly recently (see eg articles by Kenneth H. Cooper) as an alternative to jogging for a moderate exercise regime (say 60% of maximum heart rate). When used in this way, an exaggerated arm swing is also often used.

Power walking is also known as speed walking and more whimsically as dork walking.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-19-2006, 09:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you ever tried power walking for distance? That [censored] HURTS. When I used to run indoor track in high school, we'd occasionally have speed walking laps in practice just to [censored] around. It really goes to town on your calves. And you're going to need to be pretty close to speed walking to get that kinda pace. You'd also need somebody to go with you to make sure you were walking the whole time, and didn't break out into a jog anywhere (just in terms of always keeping at least one foot planted, I mean.)
Old 12-19-2006, 09:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[censored], I bet I could walk 5 miles in an hour

[/ QUOTE ]

Somebody should take you up on this bet. You're most likely horribly wrong here.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I want 1k on this. Any running = loss. When and where?
Old 12-19-2006, 09:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you ever tried power walking for distance? That [censored] HURTS. When I used to run indoor track in high school, we'd occasionally have speed walking laps in practice just to [censored] around. It really goes to town on your calves. And you're going to need to be pretty close to speed walking to get that kinda pace. You'd also need somebody to go with you to make sure you were walking the whole time, and didn't break out into a jog anywhere (just in terms of always keeping at least one foot planted, I mean.)

[/ QUOTE ]

naw, the fartherst ive ever sped walk is from the table to the bathroom at a particularly bad burrito place. Still pretty sure I could walk five 12 minute miles tho. I mean I could walk 4 in an hour at normal pace, dont see why wedging one more in would be any harder.
Old 12-19-2006, 10:05 PM

I am in terrible shape, smoke over a pack a day and lead a completely sedentary lifestyle and I could do 5.2 miles in an hour for $1000 easily. I don't think it would be close, especially if it was a route I knew and could pace my progress.
Old 12-19-2006, 10:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Myself and a few of my friends have a ~$1000 bet with my roomate. he claims he can run 5.2 miles (its the distance between a bar and his old house) in under an hour. he works out and is in decent shape, but is not a runner, smokes cigarettes on occasion, and smokes A LOT of weed.

anyone have any idea if this is doable?

[/ QUOTE ]

if he basically never runs at the gym and just lifts.. i'd take the bet..

but i run at the gym and outside every day.. and i could win that 1k twice over in an hr.

just b/c he works out doesnt mean he's in any good cardio shape whatsoever though