Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2006, 03:10 PM

Default Re: Positively Fifth Street: Confessions of a fish

While he's still known as a tight player, I can see from watching the PPT episodes that he's definitely loosened up a bit. There were a few hands I watched him play (of course, I can't recall what they were) that kind of surprised due to his reputation.

As for the book, I thought it was an o.k. read. I was definitely more interested in his WSOP experience rather than the Ted Binion mess. I wouldn't read it again, but it did inspire me to play in a few satellites for the WSOP.

Granted the closest I got was 4th with 2 seats given away... and I can categorically say that I open-raised every time I was dealt TT UTG. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-20-2006, 03:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I also think it has to do with the approach to the games by many players then that I'm simply not familiar with.

It does seem the game has changed somewhat. Possibly thanks to hole-card cams and so many people being able to see how aggressive the tourney-pros sometimes play their hands (hey Dick Van Patten, you don't have to have the absolute nuts to raise).

So I think the poker 'generational-gap' (pre-Moneymaker/WPT boom players vs. post-Moneymaker/WPT boom) is significant.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is what the OP is missing. He is looking at this book from the wrong angle. Some books can teach us how to play the older pre-boom players. PFS, Cloutier, and Caros Book of Tells all do this well.
Old 12-20-2006, 06:22 PM

Out of all the narrative poker books, this Positively Fifth Street is probably the weakest in terms of story telling.

Big Deal, Prof. Banker / S King, and The Biggest Game in Town are all written so much better.

In other words, the story of Positively Fifth Street is good but the telling of it sucks.
Old 12-20-2006, 09:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I haven't had time to read this book, but from everything I've heard, it sounds like its probably the best non-strategy book ever written about poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not quite, but it's definitely up there in the top five.

FWIW, this was the book that turned me from someone who just read poker books to someone who actually played. My Moneymaker moment, so to speak.

Edit: though I haven't actually read it since reading my first strategy book.
Old 12-21-2006, 04:41 AM

A very good point the book makes is to always beware of strippers. Binion would be alive today if he didn't mess with strippers on a social level.
Old 12-21-2006, 08:00 AM

OP comes off as a forced attempt to be edgy and controversial by bashing a book that some people enjoy in an outraged tone. Consider the usual gang of idiots who populate cable news talking head shows. If those people turned from analyzing politics to reviewing poker books, they would resemble good2cu.
Old 12-21-2006, 10:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So I think the poker 'generational-gap' (pre-Moneymaker/WPT boom players vs. post-Moneymaker/WPT boom) is significant.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think this can be repeated too often or too strongly. The "state of the art" of poker theory has been greatly advanced in the years since the book came out. The book is a good example of the trend.

My compliments, Bob, on your perception.

CJ
Old 12-21-2006, 02:28 PM

If you want to heare something scary about a year ago it was realized that this book was optioned for a movie. They have a director but not much else at this point. I read the book and if u take it for what it is, a book written about the WSOP and a murder trail then it is ok at best bt if u are looking for anything more then that u need to skip it.
Old 12-22-2006, 03:20 AM

people loved his book but frankly I've always thought he was a pretentious clown. A typical feminized touchy feely New Age zero who's your standard anti-liberal liberal.
Old 12-22-2006, 03:20 AM

agreed