Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2006, 10:05 PM

Default Re: You Should Open Limp.........(Long)

[ QUOTE ]
no flaming

Rich you are like a magnet to for this.

In all seriousness, while I think your heart is in the right place, you might wanna lay off the theory posts until you are more accustomed to ring unlimited betting hold them.

[/ QUOTE ]

You might be right, but wait till I post about raising 74s UTG, w/example. Hell would be a nice cool breeze compared to those flames.
Old 12-14-2006, 11:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just curious, what are most of you guys doing with JQo and KQo from EP?

[/ QUOTE ]

At FR I'm generally folding them.
Unless the table is right, then KQo is a raise.
QJo is junk EP.

anyways, the 'never open limp' thing isn't too far off. I think there are times it is correct at passive tables with calling stations (a lot of NL25 tables) but if someone said that I no longer could open limp and MUST raise any hand that I open with, I'd probably not leave much money on the table following that rule.
Old 12-14-2006, 11:45 PM

Open limping in full ring is absolutely fine. There are also some spots were you could consider open limping in 6-max. Personally I don't do it since it doesn't fit in well with my otherwise aggressive strategy, but that doesn't mean that it can't be correct some times.
Old 12-14-2006, 11:58 PM

For a while I was raising all pockets, but what I found happening was that I'd either take down the pot pre-flop (which is fine, I guess), or I'd hit a monster, and then take down my 8BB pot with a c-bet. In LP I'll raise it up all the time, as it looks like a steal and I'm more likely to get action, and that's okay with me.

In EP, however, I'm now more inclined to limp in EP, and hope for a LP raise to build the pot. Transparent? Perhaps. Profitable. Absolutely.
Old 12-15-2006, 12:17 AM

Great post op, I quit open limping a while ago cuz it just started to seem like I was throwing away the BB I payed to play my hand. When I hit a monster limping it just seemed Id take down the pot right there and didnt get the big pot I was hoping for often enough. All u guys that like to open limp be my guest, it makes it so much easier to fold my AA after the flop when I get played back at when there is a coordinated board.
Old 12-15-2006, 12:39 AM

I posted mainly to generate some discussion on a fairly common practice that I just see as a pure leak.

I'm a bit upset that Yo'Maha didnt take me up on a flipament for life or death and or BRs. After all, I am tourney donk that is just working in some cash game practice.
Old 12-15-2006, 02:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I'm a bit upset that Yo'Maha didnt take me up on a flipament for life or death and or BRs. After all, I am tourney donk that is just working in some cash game practice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry Bro.....I don't gamble......... [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Edited to add the smirk....just in case you really think I'm nearly as upset as you about this. Just didn't like the post - not anything about you. Take care.
Old 12-15-2006, 02:52 PM

(6-Max) Pokertracker says I open-limp 0.4% of the time. Seems like too small a number to worry about. I get involved [read->raise] from EP(UTG,UTG+1) 20% of the time. (Seems high? You should see my LP numbers.) That means 1 of 50 times I'm planning to enter a pot I open limp. 2%. Suddenly that seems like a number that matters.

What am I doing it with.... turns out to not matter as much as what I have been doing recently. I tend to open limp hands I would normally raise EP (like 75s or TT) when I have already raised the previous 2+ pots. I'm really not sure why. I didn't make a conscious choice to do that.

I'm not entirely willing to reject my unconsious mind's choice to open-limp in these situations. Maybe it knows something I don't.

Really bizarre to find a pattern in my play that I didn't know existed.
Old 12-15-2006, 05:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
(6-Max) Pokertracker says I open-limp 0.4% of the time. Seems like too small a number to worry about. I get involved [read->raise] from EP(UTG,UTG+1) 20% of the time. (Seems high? You should see my LP numbers.) That means 1 of 50 times I'm planning to enter a pot I open limp. 2%. Suddenly that seems like a number that matters.

What am I doing it with.... turns out to not matter as much as what I have been doing recently. I tend to open limp hands I would normally raise EP (like 75s or TT) when I have already raised the previous 2+ pots. I'm really not sure why. I didn't make a conscious choice to do that.

I'm not entirely willing to reject my unconsious mind's choice to open-limp in these situations. Maybe it knows something I don't.

Really bizarre to find a pattern in my play that I didn't know existed.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's because you are basing those certain decisions (i.e., "after I've raise 2x previously") on your ever-changing image and the image of your ever-changing opponents. It sounds as if you're aggressive enough to where open-limping helps you in many situations once the table adjusts to your style....

There are times where open limping is the perfect play........IF you are paying attention, which it sounds like you are - you just don't realize it three days later when looking at a chart.

Not a leak, just another weapon.
Old 04-27-2007, 07:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]

In EP, however, I'm now more inclined to limp in EP, and hope for a LP raise to build the pot. Transparent? Perhaps. Profitable. Absolutely.

[/ QUOTE ]

So now instead of taking down pots with a cbet you're folding to LP's cbet when you don't hit a set? Profitable, you say? Really? Wouldn't it be better to have some initiative to help you with your out-of-position-ness?