Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-04-2006, 05:33 AM

Default Re: Gigabet\'s hand histories

"I've watched three of the 22s HHs so far, found 3 completely missed +EV pushes"

the thing is, giga doesnt believe in icm like most of us. thats why these hand histories are useless for most people. a +.6% edge may not be enough for him if he thinks he can use his "skill" elsewhere. and he makes some -EV pushes according to icm that are +EV to him because he thinks he can play the bigstack very well if he wins (among other reasons). so while i agree with you completly about him playing badly, at least he has his reasons.
Old 02-04-2006, 05:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think different styles of play work at different levels of poker...albeit differently. Curtains is testament that an ABC style of poker (including bubble strategy) works even at the top level of SNGs.

At the same time, Strassa has argued on his blog that even at the lower levels players should open up their game at the early levels so they can play more hands with the donks before the donks are knocked out.

They are both winning players. I think Lacky was right when he said you have to learn to incorpate different techniques, strategies and tactics into YOUR own game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said.

I don't want to be an ahole here and discourage others from learning from Giga's hand histories.

Personally, I've played every style, I understand every style, I'll trot out sophisticated moves even at the 11s if I think the situation warrants it. I'll play some marginal hands at the early levels if I think I can outplay my opponents.

But 95% of the time it's ABC poker. Which is a heck of a lot harder to play than most people think, from the posts I've seen to this board.

As curtains implied in another post earlier, if the intermediate players on this board would just learn how to play ABC poker flawlessly and forget all about Gigabet, they would significantly improve their ROI.

I don't hate Gigabet. I don't even know Gigabet. But I've learned nothing from Gigabet's posts, and I've learned a ton from tigerite and curtains, just to pick two who understand the game, post frequently, and understand the value of evidence and tightly constructed arguments. Gigabet could disappear forever for all I care and I think this board would be better for it.
Old 02-04-2006, 06:01 AM

I mostly agree with you, but the "problem with Gigabet" isn't Gigabet it's the fanboy OMG IT IS GIGA!!! types where people convince themselves that 600 HHs(500 at the wrong level) are worth $100(and should be kept sekrit so all the Gigagoodness doesn't get into the public view). He's clearly a very successful player, and if we have to deal with the occaisional absurd 75% ROI/up 430k in one night/whatever posts that's just the price of doing business. He's made several legitimately insightful posts, he's not a troll, 2+2 without him would be a worse place.
Old 02-04-2006, 06:13 AM

I think most here would learn to beat the lower limits better by watching HHs from one of the players that is a regular there and does well.

I think the real benefit of Gigabets HHs is when the 1000 chip games start and the biggest benefit comes for those that play against Gigabet (wonder if he will disguise his play somewhat to avoid giving away his playbook).
Old 02-04-2006, 06:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But 95% of the time it's ABC poker. Which is a heck of a lot harder to play than most people think, from the posts I've seen to this board.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know that from just hearing about some of his moves, you might get the impression that he's a total LAG. But of course, this isn't true. Most of the time he is playing ABC poker, and when he does make a move, it's very hard to distinguish it from the times he's playing solidly. This is what makes him so dangerous. If Giga moves all in on you and you call thinking he's bluffing, don't be surprised if he turns over the nuts.

[ QUOTE ]
As curtains implied in another post earlier, if the intermediate players on this board would just learn how to play ABC poker flawlessly and forget all about Gigabet, they would significantly improve their ROI.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is correct, but probably for different reasons than you. After the huge debate when Gigabet intentionally made a -EV push, there were tons of threads where people were pushing random crap at bad times asking whether or not they made a good "Gigabet" play. The problem isn't that some of the weird plays that Giga makes aren't profitable at the lower levels, it's that people don't understand these concepts well enough to apply them correctly.

I'm sure that many people will look over these hand histories and try to emulate some of the things they see without understanding some of the subtleties that make them profitable. They will then start making them in bad situations and get punished. On the other hand, for someone who really works on understanding why he did something differently than they would have, there will be plenty to learn.
Old 02-04-2006, 07:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't hate Gigabet. I don't even know Gigabet. But I've learned nothing from Gigabet's posts, and I've learned a ton from tigerite and curtains, just to pick two who understand the game, post frequently, and understand the value of evidence and tightly constructed arguments. Gigabet could disappear forever for all I care and I think this board would be better for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you really mean that, and I'm assuming your no longer just being argumentative and you do feel that way, try reading and/or rereading these. I've known for a long time that gigabet mostly plays a game of chip position and chip management. The reason he makes no sense much of the time is the rest of use don't mostly. Reading the below posts and really figuring out what he is saying gives you an idea how he sees the game. It doesnt matter if it is better or worse, it is insightful and interesting.

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showth...rue#Post2610396

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...3239&page=

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...4424&page=

if you really read and think about them, regardless of how useful the ideas are to your everday game, it will be hard for you to say you've never learned anything from him.
Old 02-04-2006, 10:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No way this board would be better off without Giga. If you can't appreciate what Giga adds to this forum and to this game, im not so sure you actually understand poker as you say.
Old 02-04-2006, 11:13 AM

lacky,

sorry man, I erased the messages. Can you send me the HHs now?

Indy
Old 02-04-2006, 11:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think most here would learn to beat the lower limits better by watching HHs from one of the players that is a regular there and does well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Personally, Lacky's HH's were instrumental in taking me from a clueless idiot to a modestly winning player when I stumbled across them more than a year and a half ago.

Those were $50's if I remember correctly, but they helped me in the $11's nonetheless.

It's sorta like chess analysis for me... Some master games I really learn alot from, others just confuse the hell out of me because I don't have the skill set to analyze them correctly.
Old 02-04-2006, 11:52 AM

There are just 89 from the $11s, right?