Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2006, 03:22 PM

Default Re: Allen Iverson

Mavs, C's eye A.I.

By Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo! Sports
December 8, 2006

The Dallas Mavericks and Boston Celtics have emerged as the leaders to trade for disgruntled Philadelphia 76ers star Allen Iverson, league executives told Yahoo! Sports on Friday night.

According to sources, 76ers general manager Billy King has targeted Mavericks guard Devin Harris – a favorite of the executive's going back to Harris' college days at Wisconsin – as a primary piece to a potential package with Dallas.

Mavericks owner Mark Cuban wouldn't deny that he's engaged in trying to make a deal for Iverson but wrote in an email to Yahoo! Sports on Friday night, "We wouldn't trade Devin."

King has been telling teams that he wants a combination of expiring contracts, young players and draft picks for Iverson. Sixers owner, Ed Snider, flatly said Friday night: "We'll trade him."

Several teams in the past few days have expressed interest in the 2001 NBA MVP and four-time league scoring champion, including the Denver Nuggets – who like Boston – discussed those trade possibilities with the 76ers before last June's NBA draft.

ADVERTISEMENT

The Celtics have a deep roster of young players, including forward Al Jefferson and guards Delonte West, Sebastian Telfair and Rajon Rondo, to send to Philadelphia. Also, they have the weighty veteran contract of Theo Ratliff to help balance Iverson's contract in a deal.

The Minnesota Timberwolves, with a possible package of Ricky Davis and rookie guard Randy Foye out of Villanova, is also believed to be a factor.

What had long been a tumultuous relationship between Iverson and the 76ers reached a breaking point this week.

As the New York Post initially reported on Friday, Iverson asked King for a trade on Tuesday and the G.M. soon thereafter started exploring possible deals around the league. After missing practice on Thursday and a shootaround on Friday with apparent back spasms, Iverson said he was well enough to play in Philadelphia's game against Washington on Friday night.

However, Iverson said 76ers coach Maurice Cheeks told him to stay away from the Wachovia Center and informed Iverson that he wouldn't be traveling to Orlando for a Saturday meeting with the Magic.

After getting banished for two games, Iverson issued a statement through his agent Leon Rose that sounded like he was resigned to the inevitability of a trade. More and more, it sounds like his 11-year career in Philadelphia is coming to a close.

"As hard as it is to admit, a change may be the best thing for everyone," Iverson said. "I hate admitting that because I love the guys on the team and the city of Philadelphia. I truly wanted to retire a 76er."
Old 12-09-2006, 03:23 PM

AI on the Mavs would be insane. I really think that a ton of teams could benefit huge by going after him, and I think that they're making a mistake not to. You'll never have another chance to get a star this cheap.
Old 12-09-2006, 03:26 PM

Since most of the early talk seemed to be centering around the Wolves, here's what the trade would probably look like:

Randy Foye - 3 mil/yr (rookie contract)
Ricky Davis - 6 mil/yr, (contract up in '08)

One of the following players, whose contracts aren't up until 2010, would also have to be thrown in to balance the salaries.

Mark Blount - 6 mil/yr
Troy Hudson - 6 mil/yr
Marco Jaric - 7 mil/yr

This trade makes sense from the Wolves perspective, but not so much for the Sixers. They get Foye and some cap room in '08, but they also would have to take on an overpaid player for the next 4 years, in the form of Jaric, Hudson or Blount.

I think Philly could probably get more elsewhere.
Old 12-09-2006, 03:35 PM

If the Celtics trade a bunch of young pieces for Iverson, that would be so goddamn terrible at this point.
Old 12-09-2006, 03:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If the Celtics trade a bunch of young pieces for Iverson, that would be so goddamn terrible at this point.

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends which. Shopping Telfair, Delonte, Perk is fine. Maybe even Al, but I still think he's a stud. Green shouldn't be touched.

Of course, I can't imagine the sixers not wanting Jefferson and Green.
Old 12-09-2006, 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You obviously couldn't have another big time scorer that needs the ball on the team

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. Guys like Dirk and KG would be a great fit. They both like to play on the outside which opens up AI's driving ability by drawing the big men out, or if the big men stay in the AI does the drive and dish, and Dirk or KG can knowck down the outside shots against smaller defenders.
Old 12-09-2006, 04:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

The Lakers could offer Odom + Bynum and maybe Mihm.

[/ QUOTE ]I know that you're probably just saying this because it makes sense from the 76ers perspective, but theres no way this happens imo. The Lakers are very happy right now imo, and they're not giving up those 2 players unless they get a dominant big man in return such as Garnett.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya I don't think it will either, I was just throwing out some names. I don't see him in Chicago either. If Skiles thinks Ben Wallace's headband is a problem...although I think that deal actually makes sense the most for both teams since the Bulls would probably make the finals with A.I this year.
Old 12-09-2006, 04:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends which. Shopping Telfair, Delonte, Perk is fine. Maybe even Al, but I still think he's a stud. Green shouldn't be touched.

Of course, I can't imagine the sixers not wanting Jefferson and Green.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just don't see any realistic trade being good in the big picture. It would be one thing if the team was playing well and the young big guys were showing enough improvement protecting the rim and banging that you could really say, "Hmmn...with enough firepower, we could really make a run at this thing." But I just don't see that at all. And it would be one thing if the best center prospect in fifteen years wasn't in an otherwise pretty good draft and the team wasn't sitting in last place.

I love Allen Iversen. But I just don't think they're one piece away, and so the marginal return on the piece isn't really high, especially if at comes at the cost of both players and a chance at Oden.
Old 12-09-2006, 05:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Since most of the early talk seemed to be centering around the Wolves, here's what the trade would probably look like:

One of the following players, whose contracts aren't up until 2010, would also have to be thrown in to balance the salaries.

Mark Blount - 6 mil/yr
Troy Hudson - 6 mil/yr
Marco Jaric - 7 mil/yr

This trade makes sense from the Wolves perspective, but not so much for the Sixers. They get Foye and some cap room in '08, but they also would have to take on an overpaid player for the next 4 years, in the form of Jaric, Hudson or Blount.

[/ QUOTE ]

i just heard on the local sports radio station here that the Wolves owner said that the $$$ just doesn't add up, so AI likely won't end up in MN.
Old 12-09-2006, 05:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Mark Blount - 6 mil/yr
Troy Hudson - 6 mil/yr
Marco Jaric - 7 mil/yr

[/ QUOTE ]

i just heard on the local sports radio station here that the Wolves owner said that the $$$ just doesn't add up, so AI likely won't end up in MN.

[/ QUOTE ]

[censored] YOU!