Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2006, 10:52 PM

Default Re: City to visit in Europe for a weekend?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
barcelona. amsterdam kinda sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

barcelona is fantastic, but a lot of that is due to great weather, which you won't find in feb.

[/ QUOTE ]

Barcelona and it's not close, unless you love visiting museums then consider Florence.

[/ QUOTE ]

Both are great cities, but I bet neither is very easy/cheap to fly to from London for a weekend. I’d have to go with Amsterdam or Paris. And if not into weed/hookers, then I’d do Paris.

Paris is a lot easier to get to (saves time for a weekend) and more museums, sites and better food. Just the train ride itself would be worth it. Pack a lunch - sandwiches and bottle of wine and arrive in Paris.

p.s. Once you decide, then post another thread about advice if you think you'll need any. There was a thread a while back about Paris, not sure about Amsterdam (probably alot of 'em though.).

p.p.s If you choose Paris, then note to do it right. If you don't go with the right frame of mind, you will come back with an all too common result: The French are [censored] up. You really just have to go with the flow and enjoy the city and people. Oh, dang, I almost forgot - I'd go to Paris just for the crepes one can buy on the street corners (and the cheese and wine - in the stores or cafes.)
Old 12-05-2006, 10:54 PM

ive been to amsterdam, stockholm, helsinki (and turku, dont bother going to turku), and tallinn
i liked them all equally well
Old 12-05-2006, 10:56 PM

Amsterdam also has the Van Gogh Museum, Ann Franke House, like the largest or near largest museum in Europe (Rijkvelt or something), Heineken Brewery, plus the way the city is laid out with the canals and all is very unique. Definitely a one of a kind city that lives up to the hype.
Old 12-05-2006, 10:56 PM

Edinburgh was a lot of fun for a weekend- I did a weekend there once in November, but February really might be asking alot of the weather.
Old 12-05-2006, 10:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it'll be alright in feb. it's going to be better than amsterdam for sure. if weather is going to be a big deal for you, go to tallinn or copenhagen.

[/ QUOTE ]

the weather in copenhagen and tallinn sucks ass in february. go to barcelona instead
Old 12-05-2006, 10:59 PM

FWIW, I went to Paris and Amsterdam during the same trip when I was in Europe and I had a way better time in Amsterdam. Much more comfortable being able to speak English everywhere and the city seemed more lively. Paris probably would have been better than it was if I had a gf with me.
Old 12-05-2006, 11:01 PM

Why go to another city? There's more to England than London. Rent a car and hit the countryside. Have a proper pub lunch. There are a ton of places to see within a few hours of London, even by train if you don't want to drive. Or overnight by train to Scotland and hit up distilleries. Why spend all your time in an airport?
Old 12-05-2006, 11:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Amsterdam also has the Van Gogh Museum, Ann Franke House, like the largest or near largest museum in Europe (Rijkvelt or something), Heineken Brewery, plus the way the city is laid out with the canals and all is very unique. Definitely a one of a kind city that lives up to the hype.

[/ QUOTE ]
do not waste any time or money going into the anne frank house. its just an old house. i wasnt overly impressed with the van gogh museum. i thought the Rijksmuseum was much better.
Old 12-05-2006, 11:26 PM

if you like van gogh, the orsay has a much better collection.
Old 12-05-2006, 11:39 PM

Cologne, Brussles and Antwerp are all good and nearby. Although, you can't go wrong with Amsterdam.