Default Re: Lacking Motivation

ask HIV.. he usually carries pounds of motivational magic
Old 12-05-2006, 05:44 PM

this is true
Old 12-05-2006, 07:25 PM

Thanks for some of the suggestions.

Just to clarify, the problem is not that I'm lacking a balanced life. The problem is just that I am feeling no satisfaction and reward from playing poker, which takes up a significant portion of my everyday life. I don't feel any REAL physical and mental challenges in my life, classes don't stimulate me as much as they should, nor does poker. My university offers a lot, but I don't find most people here to be truly passionately involved in something, and if they are, then I haven't found the right thing for me.

I have been withdrawing chunks of money to buy a car, a house, and invest in the market, and these concrete things will both help me secure my future and appreciate what poker has done for me, for a change. Also, charity and/or going to do some volunteer work sounds interesting.

I don't want to come across sounding like a spoiled prick but I guess people will always interpret what you say the wrong way. FWIW I don't take money granted and I worked 9-5 long enough to realize how hard 'real work' can be.
Old 12-05-2006, 11:14 PM

read a lot of books and exercise instead of sitting at the comp all day. it actually helps quite a bit. i only spend like 2 hours a day actually playing. i spend a lot of time sitting here doing nothing, which sucks, im working on all this motivation stuff also. holla
Old 12-05-2006, 11:16 PM

take up golf if you live in the south. Almost as addictive as poker,
Old 12-05-2006, 11:34 PM

It's crazy how the grass is always greener on the other side. Reading this I understand how a very close friend of mine almost hated playing online poker even though he was making an insane amount of money. No Challenge, no entertainment. It was like working at a meat packing plant or something.

I know I strive to become able to play in hshe, I have so many things I need to pay like mom's mortgage, get a new car, pay off student loans. But once I have all those things paid for by one means or another I don't know what else I would need, like get a super fancy car and another motorcycle, everything after is just gluttony.

Find some other things you enjoy in life and do them. You can't go wrong with traveling, trying a new sport. Anything to get your blood flowing. Gl I know if you put some time into it you will find some other things in life to take up your time and make poker a part of that so you can enjoy other things in your life.

All work and no play makes Jack a Dull boy
Old 12-06-2006, 03:09 AM

OP - I have a very similar problem as you do. I only play like 2 hours a day (and luckily that's plenty of money for me), but I do tons of other stuff that helps out.

I read tons of books, work out a lot, play some sports, have other hobbies, and go out a ton... I'm also trying to develop more skills so that I can one day build "empires" or some such stuff to do different things. I've found that working with some friends to build things from the ground up is much more fun and fulfilling than playing poker just to make money. Sorry for being so vague, but hopefully you get the idea. Good luck...
Old 12-06-2006, 03:54 AM

Take the same motivation you obviously have (to have achieved at such high limits in poker), and apply it to other parts of your life. Make a commitment to yourself to improve yourself in some way every day, whether its to learn something new, or improve your relationship with someone, or to extend your knowledge in something you have put on the back burner.

I suspect that the boredom you are speaking of comes not directly from the fact that poker no longer challenges you, but more from the fact that your life is no longer balanced in other areas.

Learn spanish, go to the beach, learn to play the guitar. Go hit up a nightclub and try new and interesting drugs. Call your family and see how they are. Call an old friend you havent heard from in a while and catch up with them.

Find a better sense of balance in your life, and improve your all round well being. You'll be happier for it.

Also read "the Zen of Happiness" and learn about Taoism if you havent already. It's an amazing way to look at life, and teaches you a lot about humility and balance.

This isn't gospel, its just advice coming from someone who has encountered the same problems (not in poker, but in other areas of life).

Whatever you do, good luck [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] If you have the talent to achieve at the highest stakes of online poker, you have the talent to do anything you commit yourself to.
Old 12-06-2006, 04:01 AM

Were addicted gamblers man........Just live with it and try not to lose ur money.....Thats what im trying to do.
Old 12-06-2006, 04:06 AM

Also, join the Army Reserve (or whatever your equivalent is, im an Aussie).

It's an amazing experience, you'll learn stuff about yourself you never knew, and you'll make some great mates along the way. [/end plug]