Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2006, 01:39 PM

Default Re: The Running Game

I find that when a college QB is running a hard count, and the defense doesnt bite, the QB focuses less on the count and more on the idea of the play itself, usually resulting in an audible. Then when he finally gets the right audible and the play clock is at 1 second, there is no way the middle LB can have any idea whats about to hit the defense, so he can't adjust with an appropriate line shift etc. What I'm getting at is that it is -EV to check-call down with AK against a 30/20/3 if you can't run a 4.4 40.

Thats all I'm sayin...
Old 05-25-2006, 01:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I find that when a college QB is running a hard count, and the defense doesnt bite, the QB focuses less on the count and more on the idea of the play itself, usually resulting in an audible. Then when he finally gets the right audible and the play clock is at 1 second, there is no way the middle LB can have any idea whats about to hit the defense, so he can't adjust with an appropriate line shift etc. What I'm getting at is that it is -EV to check-call down with AK against a 30/20/3 if you can't run a 4.4 40.

Thats all I'm sayin...

[/ QUOTE ]

lol
Old 11-13-2007, 05:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you are good enough at LAGing it up, it doesn't really matter. Just look at Micheal Vick.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-13-2007, 06:20 AM

Interesting original post, but I disagree about its application to higher limits. I think at some point playing very good aggressive players, playing LAG is pretty much necessary to keep your range wide enough that they can't exploit you. Or in game theory terms, I suspect that the better the players, the more the equilibrium strategy is going to be very loose and aggressive. This may be why, for example, in the big PLO games, almost all of the big winners play a LAG style. Even a tighter player like sbrugby, who plays like 32/20 is pretty LAG compared to the regulars at the lower stake games.

In fact, I may not be willing to go out on this limb, but it may be the case that the analogy is good but backwards. Tight-aggressive play may be the "running game" strategy that depends on opponents overplaying their hands and not adjusting to your more narrow ranges.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:36 PM

"To succeed in the NFL and in poker, you need a balanced attack. "

ML4L
Old 11-15-2007, 02:51 AM

This whole thread is sweet. Thanks to Michael Bolton for the bump after 1.5 years.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:59 AM

Great post

LAG can be as mechanical as TAG in the wrong hands or at the the wrong time.