Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2006, 09:55 PM

Default Re: A Call for Pennsylvania Poker Players

I haven't gotten much of a response regarding the AIM idea, so why don't we do some brainstorming on this thread?

Here are some topics for discussion:

1. Do we want to formalize our group as far as coming up with a name, developing a mission statement, and designing letter head?

2. Do we want to focus on the proposed Deweese bill or some other goal, such as legalizing online poker in the state?

3. What is everyone's comfort level regarding political action? Writing letters? Making phone calls? Media interviews?

Also, it was suggested that everyone post who their reps are and that is a good idea.

Mine are:
US Rep- Platts
State Rep- DePasquale
Old 12-07-2006, 09:05 AM

my dad is the PA senator. harrisburg 4 life.
Old 12-08-2006, 12:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I haven't gotten much of a response regarding the AIM idea, so why don't we do some brainstorming on this thread?

Here are some topics for discussion:

1. Do we want to formalize our group as far as coming up with a name, developing a mission statement, and designing letter head?

2. Do we want to focus on the proposed Deweese bill or some other goal, such as legalizing online poker in the state?

3. What is everyone's comfort level regarding political action? Writing letters? Making phone calls? Media interviews?

Also, it was suggested that everyone post who their reps are and that is a good idea.

Mine are:
US Rep- Platts
State Rep- DePasquale

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm planning on Meeting with my Reps in Person. My reps are State Senator James Rhoades State Rep. Neil Goodman.

I'm pretty sure that Goodman will be on board but I'm not sure were Senator Rhoades stands.

I know in Pennsylvania there are not too many ballot measures but my question would be would this be able to be a ballot measure and if so do you think it has any chance of passing?

I believe that we should focus first on trying to reform the BINGO and small games of chance laws in pennsylvania to allow poker. Heck, A lot of Fire Companies and Non-profits around here are running weekly or monthly poker tournaments already against the law. Then focus on attaching an amendment that allows Off track betting sites to run raked poker games. Basically, this would legalize poker almost everywhere in the state of Pennsylvania.

I'm 100 percent sure that this will pass if put to the floor. How is someone going to vote against non-profits and fire companies?

Last Note: Does anyone remember about 15-20 years ago when someone slipped language into a law that legalized poker in all bars in Pennsylvaia for a short period of time? The loophole was closed as soon as it was found. I would love if they pass this again as well.

Edit: Online poker is already legal in PA as far as I know.