Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2006, 01:45 PM

Default Re: Any hunters here?

I have been Skeet Shooting a bunch of times...those little bastards deserve to get shot, all pompous flying through the air with their orange color and...grrrr
Old 11-15-2006, 01:54 PM

I think a lot of the non-hunters are underestimating the thrill of sitting and waiting for your prey. Merging with the environment and observing nature is a very fulfilling experience.

I've gone moose hunting in northern Ontario the past two years (rifle hunt) and loved it. I haven't seen a moose myself, but just sitting on watch for hours is gratifying. If you are quiet enough and sit in the right spot, you will see a lot of different wildlife, and your heart will be racing when you hear one of the bigger animals come around.

I just need to learn how to call them out a little better, and maybe find a new hunting spot because the population is so low.

I couldn't even imagine bowhunting for moose. Those guys get pretty big and having only one shot to take them down would severely compromise my rationality.
Old 11-15-2006, 01:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is there a lot of fun and pride in waiting around and then pulling a trigger or walking around quietly and then pulling a trigger?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes. Try it some time.
Old 11-15-2006, 02:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Life time stats? How many hunting trips have you been on and how many times have you killed a deer? (is a white tail a type of deer? it sounds sort of like a fish)

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been deer hunting 4 times in the last 5 years. I've shot a doe each time so there was no need to take pics. I'm from Iowa so phesant hunting is pretty popular here.
I've gone pheasant hunting twice this year and killed two.
Old 11-15-2006, 02:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've gone pheasant hunting twice this year and killed two.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're my hero.
Old 11-15-2006, 03:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is there a lot of fun and pride in waiting around and then pulling a trigger or walking around quietly and then pulling a trigger?

[/ QUOTE ]

Much more fun than a GA meeting or throwing trash all over your neighbors porch!
Old 11-15-2006, 08:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, Yes there is!

Animals can see, hear and smell a lot better than humans can. It is a challenge to get close enough to kill one. It is a huge rush when everything works and you know you will have meat for the freezer. And it is really nice to smell that big thick elk steak on the grill and finally take a delicious juicy bite of that steak!

Gotta go fix the elk burgers!!!
Old 11-15-2006, 08:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would like to try hunting, but would only do it if i was walking/stalking the animal and using a bow. In fact its on my list of things to do before im 30.

[/ QUOTE ]
Stillhunting deer is very difficult with a bow. I assume you're in your 20s and have never done this before? You're probably going to want to get started on this one now if you want to do it successfully by the time you're 30, because it's going to be very hard to do having no experience.
Old 11-15-2006, 11:10 PM

I think I'd be much more proud of a picture of me standing next to a live (and wild) deer with my arm around it or something than me holding it's dead head up.

Hunting just isn't for me, though I think that meat is delicious. I'm happy that some people get joy out of killing deer, or else I wouldn't have any venison around the holidays. It has to do with knowing that I could kill the thing if I really had to (I do have several guns and am a decent shot), but seeing no reason to kill -that- deer at -that- time.

Unless it was an [censored] deer, then all bets are off. I prefer to think of them as Bambi until proven guilty.
Old 11-15-2006, 11:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like guns but I've never hunted. None of my friends hunt and it's kind of a daunting thing to just pick up and do. There seems to be licensing involved, seasons in which you can bow hunt but not shoot deer, etc. It's too complicated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't forget that it's cold and too [censored] early in the morning.