Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2006, 05:39 PM

Default Re: Stars 150, preflop push decision

poosh!
Old 02-01-2006, 05:48 PM

jcm4ccc, worst case scenario involves them calling with any pp as well. Even with them calling 22 though, it sounds like this is +ev. So, push.
Old 02-01-2006, 06:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
a_plus, thanks a lot for chiming in. i will be the first to admit that the math you guys use to come to these conclusions often flies right over my head. i only hope i can learn enough that i never need to know the math itself [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

anyway, here was my question, and why i thought it might not be a push. while pushing may be +cEV, is it possible that it's less +cEV than pushing, given the same ranges for those still to act, a hand like a suited connector or Ax (A5o, for instance) or KJ from the CO or MP3?

[/ QUOTE ]

That is the question I have been having a problem with for a while. I think with ATs, you have to take a shot here. Mostly b/c it is a 'good' hand. What I mean, is that if your opponents do make a mistake and call, you really take advantage of it. (Imagine the BB will call with A9).

It gets really interesting when you get closer to the button. A5s is unexploitable from the CO, with a certain stack size. BUT....if you hold their calling ranges constant (which you should), pushing 89s is more profitable. BUT, 89s isnt unexploitable.

My standard line is that I never pass up an unexploitable edge. How often to we KNOW that a push is CEV+? Not very often with 10xBB, so I am not good enough to pass. Also, the odds of it being folded to you in the CO or button at an aggressive table arent that great anwyay.