FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2006, 05:50 AM

Default Re: Kerry apologizes

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It is a dead issue right

[/ QUOTE ]

no it's not. apparently Cheney is gonna talk about it tomorrow at whatever stop he is making.

[/ QUOTE ]

You do not get it. The Republicans are out of material they have nothing else to talk about. What else are they going to talk about?

Mark Foley?
How the Iraq War is going?
Stem Cells?
Cheney?
Bush?

[/ QUOTE ]

you forgot Osama - the poster boy for Republican ads this cycle - he's in them more then GWB or any Republican candidates.

rb
Old 11-03-2006, 07:35 AM

[sarcasm]A personal apology to the U.S. troops posted on his website for all to see relying on the media to commuicate his apology to the troops. Very sincere and convincing.[/sarcasm]

I was willing to give Kerry the benefit of the doubt but this episode has convinced me that he believed what he stated in his gaffe.
Old 11-03-2006, 08:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He came accross like a the snobbish Yalie that he is talking about the poor slobs who have to go to Iraq. It also reminds people of how he accused American troops in Vietnam of routine attrocities.

[/ QUOTE ]

He very well might be a snob, but isn't it more important to determine whether he's a truthfull snob?

As far as atrocities in Vietnam? I guess you'd have to define the word 'routine' to further discuss that subject?

.....there were many.
Old 11-03-2006, 09:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
He came accross like a the snobbish Yalie that he is talking about the poor slobs who have to go to Iraq. It also reminds people of how he accused American troops in Vietnam of routine attrocities.

[/ QUOTE ]

He very well might be a snob, but isn't it more important to determine whether he's a truthfull snob?

As far as atrocities in Vietnam? I guess you'd have to define the word 'routine' to further discuss that subject?

.....there were many.

[/ QUOTE ]

There was truth in his joke that people with no other oportunities wound up in Iraq, but it seemed like it betrayed a snobbish attitude. Obviously, you don't tell an audience of college students to study hard or you will wind up in Iraq.

[ QUOTE ]
They told stories that at times they had personally raped, cut off ears, cut off heads, taped wires from portable telephones to human genitals and turned up the power, cut off limbs, blown up bodies, randomly shot at civilians, razed villages in fashion reminiscent of Ghengis Khan, shot cattle and dogs for fun, poisoned food stocks, and generally ravaged the countryside of South Vietnam in addition to the normal ravage of war and the normal and very particular ravaging which is done by the applied bombing power of this country.

[/ QUOTE ]
This was his testimony before the Foreign Relations Commitee 35 years ago. It may well have been accurate. You can see how the Republicans could make the argument that he is in the habit of insulting the troops.
Old 11-03-2006, 10:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

.....there were many.

[/ QUOTE ]

There was truth in his joke that people with no other oportunities wound up in Iraq, but it seemed like it betrayed a snobbish attitude. Obviously, you don't tell an audience of college students to study hard or you will wind up in Iraq.

[ QUOTE ]
They told stories that at times they had personally raped, cut off ears, cut off heads, taped wires from portable telephones to human genitals and turned up the power, cut off limbs, blown up bodies, randomly shot at civilians, razed villages in fashion reminiscent of Ghengis Khan, shot cattle and dogs for fun, poisoned food stocks, and generally ravaged the countryside of South Vietnam in addition to the normal ravage of war and the normal and very particular ravaging which is done by the applied bombing power of this country.

[/ QUOTE ]
This was his testimony before the Foreign Relations Commitee 35 years ago. It may well have been accurate. You can see how the Republicans could make the argument that he is in the habit of insulting the troops.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know that it's a matter of both opinion and interpretation, but I do believe that by ommitting the word 'us' in his delevery, Kerry opened the door for his own skewering.

As far as the "Republicans making an argument....."?

I'm sorry, no insult intended here, but that's just a bunch of crap and stretching the truth to the extreme.

Twisting, turning, omitting, misrepresenting and taking out of context Kerry's remarks in front of the FRC is neither an excuse or justification for doing so. Especially, IMO, if it was done intentionally for a partisan political gain, which is how I see it.

FWIW, I was part of VVAW at the time, and can tell you that Kerry was not beloved by all of us. Should you doubt my statement, I can probably scan a copy of my dog-eared VVAW membership card and post it, as I still have it.

My biggest problem with this whole issue is what I perceive to be be the focus that is afforded more to the messenger than the message.

You would think that after all of these centuries, civilizations would have learned by now.

In these divisive and polarized times, it appears to be going the other way......a very sad statement.
Old 11-03-2006, 01:09 PM

This is the way this administration works. At least when he apologized, he didn't apologize to the troops, but to the people that misinterpreted what he said. The problem is that this was gold for this administrations deception machine.

We're gonna hear for the next week about how Kerry hates the troops, not that he was trying to rip on Bush. The people that hear this are the same people a few years ago heard, Iraq ... 9/11 ... Iraq ... 9/11 ... and came to the conclusion the two were related and we have to bomb Iraq because of 9/11. But they'll tell you how well it worked out because they saw the banner on the ship that said Mission Accomplished. They don't know what mission, but it was a good one.

I think the best thing the Democrats could do would be, like another poster said, is just STFU, stay in your houses and lock your doors for a week and let the GOP screw themselves up, instead of give them things like this to twist around.