Toyota 4Runner 34 54.84%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-26-2006, 10:05 PM

Default Re: Monoploy: Luck or Skill?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If the game drags out

[/ QUOTE ]
In my experience, the game ALWAYS drags out. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

The better players, the shorter it lasts, since good players will have only one focus: get a colour quick and gamble with all the cash you can get to build there. Thus people go busto or robusto very quickly.
Old 10-26-2006, 10:08 PM

i would say monopoly is about 80% luck
Old 10-26-2006, 10:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can you elaborate on "great skill?" IMO late game stuff is pretty basic and instinctive. Unless of course I'm not thinking about it deep enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

knowing roll combinations; basic strategy like the three house rule, most landed on spaces, memorizing chance/cc cards, which sometimes comes in handy. stuff like that becomes "great skill" when it's socialized, i guess.

[ QUOTE ]
at what point do you believe turn order stops hosing later players? it should get worse with each player that is added.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, after 3 players it kind of sucks early on.

[ QUOTE ]
what do you mean by development skill and acquisition skills? for the latter, are you talking about auctioning?

[/ QUOTE ]

auction/negotiation/debt issues (mortgage/trade). development skill refers to knowing in which order to develop when you get a set - e.g., the third "red" square is the most landed square on the board (let alone the three reds); the third orange is the most landed on of those; the first maroon the most landed on of those etc. etc. Knowing this, and getting to 3 houses on these before others in the set, is crucial.

[ QUOTE ]
i find it interesting that you only mention 2, 4, and 6 players and cite 4p as "standard" since the game supports odd numbers too.

[/ QUOTE ]

it surely does, but the world championships are 4-way affairs. Hence, "standard".
Old 10-26-2006, 10:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
most landed on spaces,

[/ QUOTE ]

The 2nd place finisher in last Monopoly world championship who works daily as a financial analyst and plays every weekend [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] meant that I made an error in a trade, since he meant I had 2 options I could force through and due to the timing issue and the position of the pieces I should have chosen the other one than I did (it was a situation where I needed to spend all cash on buildings and needed that somebody would land there before I would land anywhere). That I made that mistake obviously surprised him, since a few months later he described that situation in a radio interview explaining how bad my decision was [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].
Old 10-26-2006, 10:21 PM

i read a really good newspaper article about the world championships in that they have a huge problem with translators affecting the game, in terms of how they explain the deal - and what they sometimes omit, or spin. It's gotta be annoying.
Old 10-26-2006, 10:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i read a really good newspaper article about the world championships in that they have a huge problem with translators affecting the game, in terms of how they explain the deal - and what they sometimes omit, or spin. It's gotta be annoying.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is more annoying when you discuss a multimillion dollar deal in real life [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].
Old 10-27-2006, 12:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I remember there being a site where you could play online, but I can't find it now. Anyone know where it is?

[/ QUOTE ]

http://games.atari.com/
Old 10-27-2006, 12:43 AM

As far as I can tell the only real skill required is not being totally stupid. As long as you meet that condition, the rest is up to the dice.
Old 10-27-2006, 12:54 AM

I had lax house rules in my town. we try to be "balla" and do stupid games/prop bets with monopoly money/properties. (ie, gamble over a game of SSB 64, or who can pound a quart of milk first) you must issue a challenge/bet before you roll the dice on your turn.

all parties involved must reach an agreement of terms for the bet, yadda yadda.

Sorta makes it a skill game?
Old 10-27-2006, 10:39 AM

I can't help but think of this game as analogous to poker: mediocre players think that the game is mostly luck, while the best players recognize their clear advantage over noobs, and attribute their higher win rate to skill. Obviously, if there is little skill difference, then luck plays a larger part. I tend to agree with Madsen, that a skilled player competing against 3 rookies will win 50-75% of the time.