Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2006, 01:41 PM

Default Re: Staking arrangements for STTs

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

The 60k number was not at all made up btw.

[/ QUOTE ]

He didn't get that playing 2000 27s with a 20% ROI. Where is this bankroll coming from? Or are you talking about money that he could conceivably be spending on poker that he chooses not to?

[/ QUOTE ]

If I had to estimate as best I could...

We have both been playing online for about 2 years now, he is up about 15k-20k lifetime in MTTs, 10k+ in sit and gos, and prob a lot in 1/2 nl. He somehow has found his way into sit and gos though, and has no plans to play anything else in the near future.

I'm pretty sure he is reading this thread and can contribute to the conversation on why he is such a moron nit for choosing to make less money than he can make.

It is interesting the way things change.

Back in the day we played in the same high school home game, we were both winners in the game, although he was definitely much better. Now we are completely different players, and I am now staking him, whereas in high school i'd bug him to lend me 20 bucks to buy into our stupid after school game.
Old 10-23-2006, 02:13 PM

I know that your intentions are good, but I wouldn't even waste my time. I doubt that your experiment is going to work at all. I have a lil bro that plays poker, but absolutely hates the thought of losing more than $100 a day. He has prolly $10k or so to his name but simply refuses to play any higher than $50 nl. Some people simply can't get over the fact that they "lost $x gambling" instead of "made a good investment that didn't quite pan out."
Old 10-23-2006, 02:42 PM

He is a very weird guy.

If I staked him for a 10k event I think he'd be fine playing it, but if it was on his own money he might have a stroke.
Old 10-23-2006, 03:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He is a very weird guy.

If I staked him for a 10k event I think he'd be fine playing it, but if it was on his own money he might have a stroke.

[/ QUOTE ]

but does he play on the shabbos? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

i feel like he just needs to learn to deal, staking will help you of course but i dont think it will fix his money fears.
Old 10-23-2006, 03:52 PM

Your friend is retarded. For some reason he has 1000 buyins for the level he wants to play but the money bothers him. [censored] him. Kill him before he can procreate and pass stupidity along to his kids.
Old 10-23-2006, 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

We have both been playing online for about 2 years now, he is up about 15k-20k lifetime in MTTs, 10k+ in sit and gos, and prob a lot in 1/2 nl. He somehow has found his way into sit and gos though, and has no plans to play anything else in the near future.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm puzzled at how he played MTTs and 1/2 NL ring and now is bothered by the prospect of moving above 27s. I'd want a hell of a lot more than a 27 bankroll for 1/2, and unless I was playing exclusively $10 MTTs a decent chunk more for those if they were my primary game.
Old 10-23-2006, 07:22 PM

I have no idea why. Heres an example of his insanity, when he goes on tilt, he just cashes all of his money out. When he used to play cash games, he would win a few pots and rathole, and if he lost any pots he would not reload to a full stack. He would wait until he won it back. If he lost more than 1 or 2 buy ins hed stop playing and cash out.
Old 10-23-2006, 07:33 PM

Stake him for 50/50.

If he loses, make him eat poop. But watch out...... you might get stabbed.
Old 10-23-2006, 07:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

To OP, if this guy's truly your friend, I'd try to convince him to play on his own. If hes not a pro, fine. But as a pro, you HAVE to be able to withstand losses, and its easiest to allow this resiliency to build up as you climb stakes. In short - being staked destroys your ability to gamble, not a good thing if gambling is your profession.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unarmed is right like usual.
Old 10-23-2006, 07:36 PM

He sounds like he was traumatized by his father gambling away the farm when he was a little kid or something.