Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2006, 11:34 AM

Default Re: Unsure what to do with my AJs (folding seems weak...)

[ QUOTE ]
He probably does. The same way as he opening AK, AQ, JJ, QQ, KK, AA and other good hands here.

[/ QUOTE ]
What other good hands? These hands are the only ones we're afraid to see. You do realize that his range of hands includes many more than that, right?

[ QUOTE ]
So is this a problem of styles? Or if a player who doesn't gamble here is a fool?

[/ QUOTE ]
i don't think it's necessarily one or the other. what i do think is that despite all the talk about never passing up an edge some people are still really afraid to put money in any situation where they "might" be dominated. it's just an extension of the "putting him on AK" fallacy. people need to consider the whole situation, and not just the one or two possibilities that are bad for them.
Old 10-19-2006, 11:46 AM

We are not passing up an edge here, because we don't have a read on the villian. Am I right? +EV situations come from knowing your opponent. But in this particular case you haven't seen this guy raising speculative hands UTG, even if it's shorthanded. Actually it doesn't matter though. We haven't seen villian doing anything abnormal, which could convince us that he is the one to gamble with. I would rather gamble with 88 from the button. This is the problem of styles obviously
Old 10-19-2006, 12:00 PM

I agree that there is a lot of weak/tight advice on this forum. Of course, you play a lot of weak/tight players at the tables. In fact, you see a lot of weak/tight advice on all the forums. I posted about how I posted a hand in midstakes NL/PL where I open raised with AQo in the SB and the BB reraised. Most people were saying fold preflop to the reraise! Lol.

Here folding, pushing, and calling are pretty close in terms of $EV and cEV, but I couldn't believe all the people saying it is an easy fold.

This seems like a good place for a resteal or whatever against a mid position raiser. Even if you are dominated, you are 30% against that range, but you pick up the pot an awful lot. You are going to get some calls by undepairs and probably KQ and Ax hands you dominate. If you work it out, it is probably somewhat cEV+ to push.

I think this hand is somewhat dependent on a read on the raiser. Does he need a strong hand to open UTF short handed? What will he lay down to a push? A lot of people have a pretty tight calling range in this situation. You may get calls from underpairs putting you on a big ace.

Some people think OMG, this is scary, he could have me dominated, fold, run. However, a lot of times you get top 3 finishes when villain calls with 99 or something and you win and become the tournament leader.

Text results appended to pokerstove.txt

287,667,072 games 0.468 secs 614,673,230 games/sec

Board:
Dead:

equity (%) win (%) tie (%)
Hand 1: 29.6794 % 28.11% 01.57% { AJs }
Hand 2: 70.3206 % 68.75% 01.57% { JJ+, AQs+, AQo+ }
Old 10-19-2006, 12:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
We are not passing up an edge here, because we don't have a read on the villian. Am I right? +EV situations come from knowing your opponent. But in this particular case you haven't seen this guy raising speculative hands UTG, even if it's shorthanded. Actually it doesn't matter though. We haven't seen villian doing anything abnormal, which could convince us that he is the one to gamble with. I would rather gamble with 88 from the button. This is the problem of styles obviously

[/ QUOTE ]

6 handed forget the stigma of UTG please, this is mid position basically. "havent seen him raise speculative hands UTG" I dont understand this, if you're NOT raising KJs or 77 or etc here you've got some things you need to work out. Has everyone on here gone insane? Even 0evg0, who is often aggressive bordering on lunatic, wont call with AJs to 1 raise 6 handed? We've got plenty of chips, this is such a trivial non fold I think it should be fairly automatic to play it, unless you've got a specific read that he's tighter than uclabruinz. How to play it, eh I probably call, but who knows.
Old 10-19-2006, 12:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
for all we do about talking about never passing an edge lots of people here still do quite a bit, they overestimate their opponents' ranges and never factor bluffs into account or anything like that.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think this is a really important point. The EV we're calculating when we debate these posts considers a range of villain hands that starts with the best they could have and goes down to some cut off point. Mixing It Up is all about going beyond that natural cut off point, but it's never figured into these calculations. All these range equations should have a bluff/semi-bluff/mix-it-up factor added in to properly calculate equity.

If I can truly put UTG on the range you're talking about then I'm also Definitely Calling because I'll be able to bump him off most flops or find out quickly that I'm way behind.

I definitely play this here. Also, if I'm UTG and I think I can make AJs fold after me, then I'm likely to raise with ATC with these blinds.
Old 10-19-2006, 12:14 PM

oh who knows, disregard my posts i guess.

it's just that lately i've been playing a lot tighter in these situations and have been liking my results
Old 10-19-2006, 12:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
oh who knows, disregard my posts i guess.

it's just that lately i've been playing a lot tighter in these situations and have been liking my results

[/ QUOTE ]

I've gone back to my native style, loose as a goose, and I've been liking my results too. Funny thing variance.
Old 10-19-2006, 12:22 PM

It's not a problem of not seeing him raising speculative hands UTG. We don't have a read on this player, and it means that we don't have an edge over him in this particular situation. Actually you can be pushing a lot of junk in UTG raiser, and then saying that aggression works for you everytime anyways. But aggression must have a feedback. My weak-tight ass says me that the problem is not in weak-tightness of some posters of the forum, but in a lack of information on the villian in the post under question.
Calling is an option though, but nobody has provided any good explanation why it's still a good option.
Old 10-19-2006, 12:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OMG KILL ME [censored] [censored] [censored] variance.

[/ QUOTE ]

fyp
Old 10-19-2006, 12:27 PM

Yeh, I think this is a question of push or call. Folding doesn't lose all that much, but it is definately weak/tight. However, if you fold every borderline situation like this, you eventually get blinded out.

I think some people commenting on this saw UTG raiser and didn't see 6-handed.