Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2006, 07:04 AM

Default Re: Soooo Nath thinks he knows what he\'s doing.

[ QUOTE ]
There was a thread in the TV forum about that actor that laid KK preflop when he thought the other guy had aces. The KK's had slightly more than 4-1 odds I believe.

I was very impressed when he laid em down. Then Nath (and a few others) say it was a bad move.

[/ QUOTE ]

NicksDad, nath, 0evg0, gobboboy, and myself have all read both threads. I'm pretty sure most of the posters in this thread never bothered to visit the TV poker forum and read this thread, yet felt more than free to comment in this thread. This is like talking [censored] about a movie you've never seen. Typical 2+2 laziness resulting in a huge dogpile.

NicksDad, I'll jump in the boat with you. I read the TV poker forum thread and it really made me think, more than any other thread on here in at least a month. It's been said your initial raise was pretty bad and I really think you should of given your reasoning behind it in the OP, but after reading nath's post in the TV poker forum thread, I'm like you I'd be convinced this is a call.

With that said, I have a few more little delicious tidbits to address.

You want a real homework assignment visit the TV poker forum Official WSOP on ESPN thread (10/10) ($2500 shorthanded $2000NL) Take a look at the posts immediately after fslexcduck's elimination hand.

Translation: (someone not so popular) NicksDad1970 makes a bad play.... reaction, What a [censored] moron!!!

(a well liked poster) fslexcduck makes a bad play.... reaction, Everyone is scrambling for justifications, arguing it could have been EV+ and stopping just short of pulling a rabbit out of their hat looking for any defense at all.

This sickens me, it's so transparent! What's the line, don't be results orienated? How'd this forum switch so rapidly to being poster orienated? Is it possible to focus on the actual poker and not turn this thing into a popularity contest?

If nath moves all in with J-10s he's got a Guinness in his right hand because that move was BRILLANT!

Thundercat32 makes the exact same play and the beer I'm holding is a Busch light because it goes down easy.

WTF?

People get on here and dogpile like crazy with all this attitude, yet if there was a bankroll check the way you can check tournament cashes/records on db MANY posters would have to swallow that attitude and act like a human being for a change.

Gee whiz you want to find out something about NicksDad1970 visit the OOT forum and read about the constant hassle this poor guy is dealing with trying to raise a son he loves and dealing with bitter infighting between an ex-wife and maybe soon to be ex-wife. Than he comes on here in a sincere attempt to make a you were right post and gets kicked square in the nuts. What's the point of all of that? Do you sleep better at night knowing you made the best insult on 2+2 today? Let's not forget this we all know who the bad @sses are on here, so you're not fooling anybody with that macho bravado, and to be honest I don't see any posts from the accomplished players that are mean spirited and deragatory. You're giving yourself away as an idiot by posting like that, just something to keep in mind.

Following that up. Some posters on 2+2 are new and don't know much (compared to you and certainly compared to how much some of you think you know) is it wrong for us to be honest about this fact? I prefer this notion to unbridled, unwarranted, unrelenting confidence. It's like you can't join this site as a novice and be treated properly. Even a player at my level playing for less than a year and half. I'm suppose to be some big winner by this point and if I'm not that just means I'm stupid right? I've grown leaps and bounds in the last 4 months, that's in part to two reasons. 1) the excellent discussion of poker theory and concepts on this website 2) I've ignored all of the posters here who attacked and criticized me and did not let it effect my enthusiasm for poker or confidence.

Now for a Jerry Springer final thought. What if this website eliminated the need for factor #2 to play a role in further development and growth as a player and the website became all about factor #1?
Old 10-12-2006, 07:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Translation: (someone not so popular) NicksDad1970 makes a bad play.... reaction, What a [censored] moron!!!

(a well liked poster) fslexcduck makes a bad play.... reaction, Everyone is scrambling for justifications, arguing it could have been EV+ and stopping just short of pulling a rabbit out of their hat looking for any defense at all.

This sickens me, it's so transparent! What's the line, don't be results orienated? How'd this forum switch so rapidly to being poster orienated? Is it possible to focus on the actual poker and not turn this thing into a popularity contest?

[/ QUOTE ]
Without answering the rest of your rant, I think part of the reason people act differently if a known good player makes <some move> is that they know there's some thought behind it. With an unknown, chances are it's just a straight donkish move. I'd argue that you can see a complete donk make <some move> and a pro make the same move...and the move might be crap by one of them, but brilliant by the other. Donko just got lucky, but the pro made the move because of <brilliant n-th level thinking>. Huge difference.
Old 10-12-2006, 07:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Without answering the rest of your rant, I think part of the reason people act differently if a known good player makes <some move> is that they know there's some thought behind it. With an unknown, chances are it's just a straight donkish move. I'd argue that you can see a complete donk make <some move> and a pro make the same move...and the move might be crap by one of them, but brilliant by the other. Donko just got lucky, but the pro made the move because of <brilliant n-th level thinking>. Huge difference.

[/ QUOTE ]

NOBODY skips Donko and slides right into Pro.

To use a sports analogy, say a young kid is a pretty good basketball player on the 7th grade basketball team. Not fully developed yet by any stretch of the imagination he still has a long way to go before he reaches his potential as a basketball player. Against players his same age he's very good though. Enter a couple of wise guy 17 year olds from the high school varisty team. They understand so much more about the game of basketball mentality and are physically bigger and superior (bankroll) they sit on the sidelines of the 7th grader's practice and hurl insults at him (or in other words bully).

Now is it fair to evaluate the 7th grader on a high school level? Certainly the 7th grader is a lesser player to the high school players, but this does not mean he will not be able to be better by the time he reaches high school.

It seems so foolish my example no one would look at a 7th grader short and scrawny in comparison to a high school player and even think to compare the two.

Yet in poker people do it all the time. In fact in this post you compare the donk's move to the pro's move. Maybe the donk's move is the same move as the pro only 8 years earlier in his development.

Also sorry for the rant, but I have to read these nasty comments on a daily basis sifting through all of the insults looking for poker commentary and wisdom I guess I just snapped.
Old 10-12-2006, 07:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yet in poker people do it all the time. In fact in this post you compare the donk's move to the pro's move. Maybe the donk's move is the same move as the pro only 8 years earlier in his development.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah I do agree to some extent. Your post could probably summed by "don't be mean to the newbies", and I do think the tone here is often unnecessarily harsh. Having said that, I think it's ok to tell a new poster to read basic strategy (like HOH) before posting too many hands. And I don't think it's too out of line to poke fun at someone who's clearly playing way over his roll/coming off as all-knowing/arrogant/won't take criticism/whatever.

Personally I like the sarcastic style of some posters...but that's me.

[ QUOTE ]

Also sorry for the rant

[/ QUOTE ]
No harm, no foul [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-12-2006, 07:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]

If nath moves all in with J-10s he's got a Guinness in his right hand because that move was BRILLANT!

[/ QUOTE ]

OP didn't go all-in.

If Nath posts this hand and does ANYTHING other than push or fold, it's time for him to hang it up and seek other employment.

As an experiment, I'd ask him or one of our other "name" posters to wait a month and post OP's hand as their own.

I guarantee we rip him a new one, just as like we did here to OP.
Old 10-12-2006, 08:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I can't read your post. Spelling and grammatical errors are abundant.

[/ QUOTE ]

To be quite honest I didn't do so well in school. I am constantly embarrassed by it actually.

I'm glad you could be mature and look past it.
Old 10-12-2006, 08:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Nick, Are you going to do that again with T2o?

[/ QUOTE ]

No sir.

It was just getting like clockwork stealing those blinds.
Old 10-12-2006, 08:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Nick, Are you going to do that again with T2o?

[/ QUOTE ]

No sir.

It was just getting like clockwork stealing those blinds.

[/ QUOTE ]
go read harrington on hold'em volume 1.
Until then, keep this as a rule of thumb: If you have less than ten big blinds in your stack, any hand you decide to play should be all-in preflop.
Old 10-12-2006, 08:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I can't read your post. Spelling and grammatical errors are abundant.

[/ QUOTE ]

To be quite honest I didn't do so well in school. I am constantly embarrassed by it actually.

I'm glad you could be mature and look past it.

[/ QUOTE ]
nh
Old 10-12-2006, 08:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I did have thoughts behind it. I was constantly stealing from these two.

I really don't feel like defending myself about this anymore.

My point to this whole thread is when you think you have the odds then you go for it. I wanted to thank Nath. Glad he could see he got a compliment and acted accordingly.

I know in this situation I screwed it all up by raising with what I had in that situation.

I have had a great amount of success lately and have been feeling really good about it.

Thanks for the "you're an idiot" posts to bring me back down.

I will try and learn how to spell better.

I would reccommend to many of you that you learn some tact.