Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2006, 02:33 PM

Default Re: MTV True Life - I Have Touretts

I don't know much about tourettes, but the cursing thing is a seperate disorder called coprolalia. Only a small portion of people with tourettes also have that. I knew a guy in college with tourettes. His tick was uncontrollably punching himself.
Old 10-13-2006, 02:59 PM

MTV of course showed the extreme version of it as im sure yall all knew. My little brother has them though not nearly as bad but still it really is tough for people who do have them. Doing stuff you cant control and having people see it and think ur wierd is tough to deal with...I cant even count the times he would come home crying b/c somebody at school made fun of him or was staring at him...luckily for him he has gotten a lot better with age and better medicine but it really is a tough thing for people with it to deal with
Old 10-13-2006, 03:13 PM

well this chick is a huge brat so that + tourettes must be a nightmare for her grandma
Old 10-13-2006, 03:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
MTV of course showed the extreme version of it as im sure yall all knew. My little brother has them though not nearly as bad but still it really is tough for people who do have them. Doing stuff you cant control and having people see it and think ur wierd is tough to deal with...I cant even count the times he would come home crying b/c somebody at school made fun of him or was staring at him...luckily for him he has gotten a lot better with age and better medicine but it really is a tough thing for people with it to deal with

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you watch the show? The biker had a very mild case and the comedian guy was somewhere in between the biker and the chick. They really seemed to show a pretty good spectrum of Tourettes severity.
Old 10-13-2006, 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know much about tourettes, but the cursing thing is a seperate disorder called coprolalia. Only a small portion of people with tourettes also have that. I knew a guy in college with tourettes. His tick was uncontrollably punching himself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is there a corrolation between the words said by people with corpolaia? The general sterotype of Touretts/corpolaia is swearing or inappropriate things, is that because of the stigma attached to the words that the brain just locks on? Or if you isolated a young person with corpolaia and taught them that "banana" was a curse word, would they go around saying instead of other words? My hypotheseis would be yes, does anyone have any thing on that subject?
Old 10-13-2006, 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Personally, I'm pretty put off by the Tourette's guy, simply because it's a horrendous representation of people with actual Tourette's. It gets annoying when you have to answer questions like "If you have Tourette's why aren't you yelling swear words and pissing yourself?"

[/ QUOTE ]

It's comedy. I mean, sure, you can be put off by comedy if you want to, but I feel like you're putting too much on comedy and not enough on the fact that people aren't educated in really knowing what Tourette's is.

I'm sure there's some kind of Tourette's foundation/organization out there. You should put some of that "put off-ness" towards them for not educating the general public well enough.