Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2006, 01:47 PM

Default Re: PS3 Preordering

Exclusive PS3 games thread from another site.

Games such as Tekken 6, GT5, Devil May Cry 4, Metal Gear Solid 4, Ridge Racer 7, Virtual Fighter 5 and others.

http://www.ps3forums.com/showthread.php?t=20553
Old 10-10-2006, 01:49 PM

The video game console I don't own yet is much better then the console you don't own yet!!
Old 10-10-2006, 02:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[censored], I can't believe I missed this. Was this the only opportunity there will be to preorder from Gamestop and EB?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, Today from 10am to 10:02am

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-10-2006, 02:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It's disappointing to find out that are actually a few people in the world clueless enough to think buying a PS3 is a good idea because it means that the system will be merely a moderately large and embarassing disaster for Sony rather than a complete and total disaster, and I was really hoping to see the latter.

[/ QUOTE ]

And you know this because? I'm not saying any of the 3 systems will be a killer success, but how do you know the PS3 will utterly fail? Wasn't the XBOX also supposed to fail. But it's done decently well atleast in the US market. You do realize that Sony Consoles own the Japanese market which happens to be the 2nd biggest market if you don't include all of Europe as another market. If PS3 isn't a blockbuster success, then so be it. I'm betting you there will be a lot of people who still buy it. And those with HDTV will love that the Blu Ray is significantly cheaper on the PS3 than by itself. Yes the 360 will have HD-DVD capabilities, but if you include that in the price, it's almost as much as the PS3. It's true with the PS3 you won't be able to choose, but if you buy the "low-end" PS3, it has Blu Ray capabilties and only a 500 MSRP which is 500 lower than the currently low end model (there are slightly cheaper versions for computers but they are also expensive). Yes the niche for HDTV/Blu Ray/HD-DVD is smaller than the rest of the market but if they can carve it out, and grow from there the prices will fall and the games will be good. The playstation consoles have had some of the better system only games.

I'm not worried about Sony and PS3 at all. If they fail then so be it. You Wii fan boys are getting quite annoying with the other system bashing. Does it really have a purpose? All 3 systems will be pretty solid, let's see who wins.

[/ QUOTE ]
The PS3 is extremely likely to kill Sony, I mean really destory the entire company. Here is a good write up on it. Although the conclusions are far-fetched (Microsoft will not buy Sony, EVER, because it has a somewhat insane business model), it gives a good explanations of the economics behind the PS3.
Old 10-10-2006, 02:09 PM

LOL. Ive heard reports of towns in the middle of nowhere that have Gamestops still had some at 11, but they are long gone now.
Old 10-10-2006, 02:22 PM

I doubt it will kill Sony, but you can go ahead and wish it. Sony is a huge company. Even if this gamble fails, they will still survive. Personally I already have a 360, and I will get a PS3 eventually (doubtful this year due to the shortages) but I want to get some sort of HD quality disks for my new 1080p TV. I could honestly care less if it's a Blu Ray or a HDTV as long as it works well and looks good.

IF this kills Sony, so be it. But this has been said over and over about a lot of consoles. I'm pretty sure Nintendo isn't all that happy about Gamecube or N64, but it's still around and Nintendo is a much smaller company.
Old 10-10-2006, 02:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I doubt it will kill Sony, but you can go ahead and wish it. Sony is a huge company. Even if this gamble fails, they will still survive. Personally I already have a 360, and I will get a PS3 eventually (doubtful this year due to the shortages) but I want to get some sort of HD quality disks for my new 1080p TV. I could honestly care less if it's a Blu Ray or a HDTV as long as it works well and looks good.

IF this kills Sony, so be it. But this has been said over and over about a lot of consoles. I'm pretty sure Nintendo isn't all that happy about Gamecube or N64, but it's still around and Nintendo is a much smaller company.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's a big company that's made up of some pretty ridiculous parts. Sony's businesses include consumer electronics, computers, movie production and financial services. A couple of those have already been sucking wind for a few years.

I don't blame you for not believing me though, it is a weird thing to imagine. The thing most people fail to see is that the problem isn't that they won't generate enough interest, it's just that they start themselves in such a big hole that it's almost impossible to climb out. Look at the estimates from Merrill Lynch and the math in that article I linked.

Edit: To be clear I am not saying that Sony will go bankrupt, but it will get significantly smaller. Also, I don't know why you think I'm "wishing" Sony fails. I don't really care either way.
Old 10-10-2006, 02:34 PM

Dammit. Why did I just find out about this? The local EB's phone is busy, and I don't want to drive over there just to find out it's out.
Old 10-10-2006, 03:04 PM

Evan - cool article, thanks for the link. This is not my industry, but from what I gather Sony still has major cash reserves, and valuable assets - I think they also pride themselves on their independence - and the article is very doomsday. Although looks like they are in for a very rough FY07, seems weather-able for the short term. Seems clear though they're a company without great long term overall strategy, and this PS3 thing, at first blush, looks like a major price point / consumer targeting blunder (the premium console, wtf).

-Al
Old 10-10-2006, 03:26 PM

I am more of a Nintendo fanboy, but people at these forums do seem to be turning a bit too fanboyish over the Wii. I think that the PS3 will do fine, mostly because of their insanely large installer base. However...

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Evan's article may exaggerate a bit or be too gloomy, but there is a very big difference between Nintendo and Sony. Nintendo wasn't losing money on their consoles for the most part, hoping the recoop the money in software sales like Sony and Microsoft do. They pride themselves on consistantly turning a profit, even if it isn't a huge one. Sony, with the PS3, is going the opposite of Nintendo and taking a giant financial risk by not only making a very expensive console, but losing plenty of money on the console itself. I could see them doing modestly well and still losing money, which would hurt the company considerably.