Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2006, 03:26 PM

Default Re: Google Buys YouTube

[ QUOTE ]
That's what Microsoft thought.

Huh?

[/ QUOTE ]

See the post above mine. (Jason K's post) Buying competitors and shutting down what makes them work well is sometimes frowned upon by Da Gub'ment.

However I know little about your business so I will <back away quickly throwing onion rings at you>
Old 10-20-2006, 03:28 PM

And I'm sure they knew they were going to do this before they even bought YouTube.

If YouTube didn't take down the videos at the request of the copyright holders, they'd be facing very large lawsuits. It would have happened eventually whether Google got involved or not.
Old 10-20-2006, 03:29 PM

Jason:

[ QUOTE ]
I think they only bought them in order to get rid of the better competition and gain market share for Google Video.

[/ QUOTE ]

Get rid of? They are keeping it YouTube branded. YouTube is 46% of the online video arena. There is really no other game in town, except for MySpace. This isn't reminiscent of MSFT to me at all. And yes, obviously they bought YouTube to "gain market share" for Google in this space.

-Al
Old 10-20-2006, 03:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Shocking. Google screwed the pooch on this one.

Meh. We're obeying the law.

[/ QUOTE ]

And I'm sure they knew they were going to do this before they even bought YouTube.

[/ QUOTE ]Yeah I find it really funny how everyone's two cents were, "Man Google is stupid for buying youtube when there's all these copyright lawsuits pending." Hey asshat, don't you think Google KNEW that there were lawsuits pending, and factored that into the value of the company.
Old 10-20-2006, 03:36 PM

Oh MAN they got Al too! Have you been audited? Are you receiving "ethics protection"? Blink once if you can hear me...
Old 10-20-2006, 03:37 PM

Zeebo - nah, I'm sure before spending $1.6B on a company, the phalanx of lawyers, business planners, and consultants Google had working on the deal were blindsided by the copyright infringement issues.

-Al
Old 10-20-2006, 03:38 PM

GA - ur stupid hippie [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

-Al
Old 10-20-2006, 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Jason:

[ QUOTE ]
I think they only bought them in order to get rid of the better competition and gain market share for Google Video.

[/ QUOTE ]

Get rid of? They are keeping it YouTube branded. YouTube is 46% of the online video arena. There is really no other game in town, except for MySpace. This isn't reminiscent of MSFT to me at all. And yes, obviously they bought YouTube to "gain market share" for Google in this space.

-Al

[/ QUOTE ]

Come back in a few months and tell me how much market share YouTube has. It'll go down and Google's self branded video service will go up, hence gaining market share for themselves. I'm not talking about buying market share cause they now own YouTube's market share. You know they already had their own video service yeah?
Old 10-20-2006, 04:07 PM

Jason - wtf are you talking about?

Google Video market share + YouTube market share = Google market share. They will just do whatever best fits with the current market and their overall strategy wrt branding.

Likely, as they incorporate their technologies into YouTube, enhancing the user experience, they will fold Google Video (which has no traction whatsoever) into the YouTube banner. The issue here is how to monetize YouTube eyeballs, and if they can sort through the copyright mess.

Who cares if the slow transition is to rebrand YouTube as Google Video? You got something against Google or something?

-Al
Old 10-20-2006, 04:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Shocking. Google screwed the pooch on this one.

Meh. We're obeying the law.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Yeah I find it really funny how everyone's two cents were, "Man Google is stupid for buying youtube when there's all these copyright lawsuits pending." Hey asshat, don't you think Google KNEW that there were lawsuits pending, and factored that into the value of the company.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you just quote me saying they knew they were going to drop copyrighted material then respond as if I said they didn't know about copyright issues?

But yeah, I guess you're right. All acquisitions must be good cause the buying company can place an exact $ value on the major changes that they're going to make to the company they're buying.