Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2006, 03:10 PM

Default Re: Tell me stuff about going to Shanghai.

I visited Shanghai last year, and would recommend you eat out a lot (and try almost everything). The pidgeon is good, although I don't like the way they always serve the head with the bird over there (chicken too).

The people are not nearly as bad as the person above made out, just say bu Yao (don't want) and they will leave you alone, as they assume you're not fresh off the boat [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

The locals are far more likely to try to sell you something than rob you in my experience. I heard about pickpockets but didn't have any problems in 1 month, nor did I hear of anyone else having problems.

I hope you have a good trip.
Old 12-04-2006, 12:20 PM

T-minus 4 days till lift-off.

Re-occuring nightmare of dieing in a plane crash continues. Woke up 3 times in the past 5 days at 7:47.

Who wants my account when I die?
Old 12-12-2006, 02:19 AM

Well, that was fairly awesome even for a short trip...

Flying coach definately sucked, but I lived and booze was free the whole trip so...pfff..."easy" [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

The highlight of the trip had to be the shopping by far. Plus, I didn't end up trying anything freaky to eat. The street vendor-thing just wasn't going to happen. That's some dirty [censored] and the wife recommended against...and she'll eat some weird crap.

Plenty of great dim sum though and had dinner with her parents at Jade Garden in a restraunt visited by Pres. Clinton. My wife said when he was there, he basically tried 'one of everything' and sampled the entire menu. As he came across something he especially liked and wanted another sample of...he would search the surrounding tables and snag a bite from someone if he saw it... [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Oh, and I did have fine dining at Taco-Bell. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] That was pretty funny, especially when the little chinese watresses greet you with a "Hola!" and send you off smiling with an "Adios!"... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

But the shopping was the best. I could have stayed another week shopping alone. The wholesale market in an absolute mad house...especially for my wife when walking around with me.

From the time we hopped out of the cab the first time we went, we were mobbed by about 15-20 people either begging or soliciting fake rolexs or dvd's or this or that. My wife got it especially bad because they will basically tug and pull on her, since she is chinese, where they would do no more then tap my shoulder.

Once you get in the market, it is a whole new mob of the same people, but this time they are trying to (literally) pull you into their shop or go in their direction to their relatives shop. But this was a little easier to deal with...

With a croud of about 25 people around us when we walked in, my wife basically picked one lady that was fairly aggressive, but looked decent and told her 'this is my husband, if they try to rip him off, they are ripping me off, you get rid of everyone and we will follow you for a bit...'

Next thing I knew, they lady yelled something loud and the croud around us scattered within about 10 seconds. Wow. That was a little different then going to the mall. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I actually didn't go too crazy buying things because of limited space to bring things back in, but everything we bought either on the street, at Jade Garden or at the wholesale market, you got to bargin your ass off for.

The SOP seems to be either just name a price, if you know already what they will generally take for it (as in many cases my wife would), or just ask them a price and then tell them 20% of it and never move from that number. 9 times out of ten you are going to get the item for what you want to pay for it.

Besides an absolute ton of name-brand clothes, some of the things I picked up where...a Gore-Tex NorthFace jacket, with fleece. they asked 2000rmb, I paid 400rmb (about 50 bucks)...Ray-Ban sunglasses for about $3.50...Zippo lighters for 2 bucks (subseqently siezed by chinese security and mail home after removing flints)..."ooops". [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] ...very nice hand-painted chopstick sets for the co-workers for $1.50 [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] and a few sets of chinese chess, mahjong and regular chess ranging from $5 to $15....oh and the nicest Swiss rolling luggage I could find to toss everything in as we shopped for 100rmb (about $13).

You can basically go to Shanghai with the clothes on your back, no luggage and come back with a full wardrobe, including shoes, packed in brand new luggage...for about 200-250 bucks. Easily.

It was awesome.

Other then that...all we really did is [censored] a lot, so I guess that's it for now...

(some pics tomorrow (except for the [censored])
Old 12-12-2006, 02:28 AM

were you concerned how authentic the items you bought were? or do you not even care?
Old 12-12-2006, 02:38 AM

By-Tor,

Did you find the Jade Monkey?
Old 12-12-2006, 02:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
were you concerned how authentic the items you bought were? or do you not even care?

[/ QUOTE ]

Before I went, I imagined everything was either going to be obvious knock-offs or damaged in some way.

But everything I purchased appeared to come off the exact same production line as anything you see 'made in china' on purchased here, including tags and labels.

The only difference is that it left out the back door instead of the front.
Old 12-12-2006, 02:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
By-Tor,

Did you find the Jade Monkey?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, although i did not spank the jade monkey (didn't need to, wife was with me).
Old 12-12-2006, 02:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Before I went, I imagined everything was either going to be obvious knock-offs or damaged in some way.

But everything I purchased appeared to come off the exact same production line as anything you see 'made in china' on purchased here, including tags and labels.

The only difference is that it left out the back door instead of the front.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sidestory, my aunt sold LV bags (fakes from Italy) through Ebay and well so far no one can tell, its actually quite impressive.
Old 12-12-2006, 01:55 PM

Some pics from the trip....

View from room...

Me ordering Starbucks in Shanghai...because I'm white...

Me representing the World Famous Pittsburgh Steelers and clean living in front of communist buildings

Me and the wife in front of Pearl Tower...

Jade Garden shopping...

The wife and I getting ready to go in for dinner with the in-laws

Dinner with the in-laws. They where really cool people...

...another from the room before leaving...
Old 12-12-2006, 02:05 PM

HOLY CRAP YOU'RE BALD (never imagined that)