Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2006, 09:49 PM

Default Re: Would an NFL running back dominate in rugby?

[ QUOTE ]
(yet the only ex-rugby player I can recall in the NFL is a punter).

[/ QUOTE ]

aussie rules isn't rugby

as far as the OP, I'm pretty sure that if Rugby was the top sport in america and american football never happened, I'd be very certain that we would be at the top of the heap in it. I have watched a fair amount of rugby and enjoy watching it. American players are generally regarded as the most fit rugby players so some of the stuff about the american football style not translating doesn't work out all that well. Dan Lyle, who just retired, was a DL or a LB at Viginia Tech or something like that and transferred to rugby and had a very good career as a professional rugby player in england and wales, so if he could do it, then many else could. THere just isn't anywhere near the money in rugby that there is in American Football
Old 10-05-2006, 10:06 PM

how tall can rugby players be? would freaks like kirilenko and the matrix be good?

also...marcus banks sucks at basketball, but he would be an amazing rugby player i'm sure. 6'2", 200, and up there in speed with barbosa and tj ford.

also i remember seeing this thing once about how eddie george used to sprint up this 3 mile hill every morning, and he was a relatively slow NFL back. anyone who doesn't think they could compete/dominate in a continuous motion sport like lacrosse/rugby needs to get real.
Old 10-05-2006, 10:17 PM

"continuous motion sport"

I seem to recall a fair amount of jogging (not running), walking, and just plain standing around at times in those sports. People are talking like it is all running.
Old 10-05-2006, 10:26 PM

GKA,
I think Kirilenko and Marion are too skinny. I think Gates or Gonzalez are better examples of guys who might be to tall.], but would otherwise be very good.

Also it depends if you placed these guys in forwards or backs. There is a steeper learning curve for someone who has never played before for forwards than backs.
Old 10-05-2006, 11:14 PM

Few if any of you are talking positions here. I think a small scat back or punt returner could be good on the wings. Some Tight end types could be good hookers, and some linebackers or big blocking backs could be good props.

It's pretty hard to generalize and say. Would an RB dominate rugby? It's like saying would a rugby player who played prop dominate football? At what positions are you proposing the prop play?
Old 10-05-2006, 11:23 PM

if TE's would be good throw in ben watson to our team. he's basically faster than champ bailey.
Old 10-05-2006, 11:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Some Tight end types could be good hookers,

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-05-2006, 11:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Few if any of you are talking positions here. I think a small scat back or punt returner could be good on the wings. Some Tight end types could be good hookers, and some linebackers or big blocking backs could be good props.

It's pretty hard to generalize and say. Would an RB dominate rugby? It's like saying would a rugby player who played prop dominate football? At what positions are you proposing the prop play?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think in general that most RBs would end up as either wings, centers, or full backs and that most TEs would end up as Locks or Props. I would also assume that a LB or SS would end up at the flanker positions or maybe a center. Guys like Schalk Burger or Bakkies Botha have the size of many DEs and LBs. I would also assume that most DTs would end up at the hooker position. I don't know how any american football position would translate to Fly Halfs or Scrum Halfs, maybe NBA point guards?
Old 10-05-2006, 11:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, Jim Brown played lacrosse in college (and was supposedly one of the top players in the country).

[/ QUOTE ]

Some people say he was the most talented lacrosse player ever.

He may have been better at lacrosse than football.