Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2006, 10:38 PM

Default Re: Will this bill change your political affiliation?

My main problem is that this bill wasn't voted on
as a stand alone bill. Frist slipped the bill into
a bill that most Senators could not vote against.

And the bad thing is this is a common thing to do,and both
sides do it.
Old 09-30-2006, 10:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Frist slipped the bill into
a bill that most Senators could not vote against.

[/ QUOTE ]
They most certainly could vote against it. They just didn't want to. Either because they don't care about liberty or are too cowardly to defend it.
Old 09-30-2006, 10:54 PM

Default Re: When not to vote libertarian

Your plan a joke. The people your trying to convince don't give a [censored] about Republicans or Democrats. It's Pepsi vs. Coke. Now go take your idiocy elsewhere.
Old 09-30-2006, 11:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
They most certainly could vote against it. They just didn't want to. Either because they don't care about liberty or are too cowardly to defend it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you really think it is cowardly to vote FOR the port bill. Because I am glad the port bill passed, as I think the majority of Americans are. The problem is that this piggy-backing cheat system allowed something completely unrelated to pass with a bill everyone was going to vote for. THAT is the problem...and voting against this is likely to end your future candidacy. All you'd have to say is Senator X didn't vote for the port security bill, he isn't tough on terrorism, how could he not vote to keep our country safe?
Old 09-30-2006, 11:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If there is a clear winner, than Libertarian is a good 'protest vote'. Libertarians must get 5% of the popular votes (maybe electorial) before they are recognized in debates. They usually bring in around 0.7%. If they get recognized in debates (or get 4% of the vote or so), then people will take them seriously. They will also get funding too. But nothing until that point.

[/ QUOTE ]

Getting to a certain percentage does get you federal funding, but I seriously doubt the Libertarian Party would accept federal funding..at least I hope not. That would be a major league sellout.
Old 09-30-2006, 11:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you really think it is cowardly to vote FOR the port bill. Because I am glad the port bill passed, as I think the majority of Americans are. The problem is that this piggy-backing cheat system allowed something completely unrelated to pass with a bill everyone was going to vote for. THAT is the problem... and voting against this is likely to end your future candidacy. All you'd have to say is Senator X didn't vote for the port security bill, he isn't tough on terrorism, how could he not vote to keep our country safe?

[/ QUOTE ]
That's what's cowardly. Although I haven't looked at the port bill chances are it by itself is a good thing. However the fact remains-

They voted against individual liberty. They voted against your right to particpate in a voluntary card game based on skill with an element of luck. They are scum, and it makes me sick that what is supposedly a government based on life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness voted over 99% to rid us of our freedom to play a game. Disgusting.
Old 09-30-2006, 11:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That's what's cowardly. Although I haven't looked at the port bill chances are it by itself is a good thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Aren't you a candidate for AC rookie of the year? I am surprised you would say this bill (excluding the IG provision, of course) is a "good thing." I haven't read the bill either, but I am guessing it involved many new government imposed regulations, along with several billion dollars in taxpayer funds. I thought ACers were against any government regulations and spending?
Old 10-01-2006, 12:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
That's what's cowardly. Although I haven't looked at the port bill chances are it by itself is a good thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Aren't you a candidate for AC rookie of the year? I am surprised you would say this bill (excluding the IG provision, of course) is a "good thing." I haven't read the bill either, but I am guessing it involved many new government imposed regulations, along with several billion dollars in taxpayer funds. I thought ACers were against any government regulations and spending?

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. What I meant is that a lot of people are going to support the port security bill, mainly the incredibly large majority of people that are not libertarians. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

edit: Although I am intriqued at this ACist rookie of the year award, anyone have the latest standings? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-01-2006, 01:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I was a Democrat to begin with, so no this wont change my political affiliation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not? The Democrats certainly won't make it legal again if they regain power. Anyone who's serious about any kind of freedom doesn't vote for Democrats or Republicans.
Old 10-01-2006, 01:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm voting Libertarian this time I think. I know it's "throwing away your vote" or whatever

[/ QUOTE ]

The only way to throw away your vote is to vote for something other than what you believe. Voting for a losing candidate still makes your voice heard.