Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2006, 08:26 PM

Default Re: Dealing with a downswing

[ QUOTE ]
You were beating NL100 at over 7ptbb/100 for over 100k hands but you started playing NL200 with 3200 before your downswing? That doesn't make sense. What happend to the $14k+ you made at NL100?

[/ QUOTE ]
Real life bad beat. Since this is SSNL and not OOT, I won't elaborate on the details. Another tired cliche that we never understand until we experience it - It's cheaper to keep her. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 09-06-2006, 08:28 PM

I got nailed in the downswing department at FT from the day I deposited there till a couple months back ~30K hands total of break even.

I thought to hell with it all and took a good break - relaxed started thinking positive about poker again and came back and am playing a lot better now than I did before.

no mattter how often you hear "it's always possible to run worse than ever before" you never really think it will happen to you - until it does.

cards is brutal.

GL AZ and top post - hope things swing around for you soon and you are now a better player because of all this.

Edit: One thing I've found I do now is if I take a horrible beat or I mess a hand up badly and stack myself through donk play I immediately (sitout at all the tables) getup walk away from the computer and stay away for 5 mins. I always used to stay and play before and I think for me the 5 minute enforced break after I do something stupid is +EV - I think getting stacked does affect how I play immediately afterwards.
Old 09-06-2006, 08:38 PM

Nice post. Just a few things I want to add:

Turn chat off could be a good option. True you miss some tells, but you don’t let the chat distract you/tilt you.

Take time off for a while when running bad and come back and play later.
Old 09-06-2006, 08:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Don't overestimate your short run edge.
I often sit down at a NL$100 table and see a minraise, min-reraise, 4 callers to the flop, and start counting my money. This is a mistake. The truth is, you can sit at a table full of donks for 5 hours and get your ass completely handed to you on any given night. Once I accepted the fact that even though I am usually one of the best players at my table, I can still get pwned, it became much easier to handle variance. Many people seem to believe that if they play solid poker, it is their god given right to come out on the winning end of things. When these players run bad, their arrogance and complete disrespect for their opponents makes it very difficult for them to deal with losing. I'm not saying you shouldn't be confident, just that you need to accept the fact that on any given night, you can get owned by horrible players.

[/ QUOTE ]

This advice is particularly useful for me. Until recently, I use to have my daily pokertracker stats displayed when I played. This was fine when winning, and my play was unaffected. However, if I was up then lost a few big hands and fell into the red for the day, my play would suffer de

Well today, I fell deep into the red. After reading this post I decided, to close my stats, and just play. My decision making instantly got better, and I went up 3 buyins without knowing about it.
Old 09-06-2006, 08:46 PM

[censored] happens.

just keep the faith and it will turn around.

Increases in my 2p2 post count are directly correlated with how badly I'm running, aka the worse I run the more I post.
Old 09-06-2006, 08:50 PM

nh. well done putting this into words. I too am running bad, on a 15k hand b/e stretch.

one of my goals for Sept. was no chat other than "NH, GG, WP, etc." or to answer a direct question. I have already fallen short of this goal but I will try again tomorrow.
Old 09-06-2006, 08:59 PM

I really liked this post, great post.

I am too however on a 8-10buyin downswing [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 09-06-2006, 09:57 PM

Old 09-07-2006, 01:03 AM

goofy,
14K hands in 5 weeks? Weaksauce bro! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]You should be grinding out 60K a month!
Old 09-07-2006, 01:16 AM

not tl, r, liked

nh.