Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2006, 07:51 PM

Default Re: Rate Movies You Recently Watched

Final Destination 3: 3/10. Some death scenes were cool. Flick was very predictable and I found myself just scanning/ff-ing from death to death.

When a Stranger Calls: 4/10. Good pacing. Some legit jumps. Not the worst movie I've ever seen, but overall, meh.

Snakes on a Plane: 7/10. Very, very fun flick to see. Had a great time. Good laughs. Good deaths. Bad/funny writing. Lots and lots of fun.

Pirates ... Carribean II: 7/10. Seemed a bit long. Def. a set-up flick for the third. But some good action scenes and effects. Good use of all old characters and some great new characters. I enjoyed this movie.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:07 PM

One I forgot to list:

Dead Man's Shoes (Shane Meadows, 2004) - 6.5/10

British film about a soldier that returns home and begins his revenge against a group of hoodlums that tortured his mentally handicapped brother. I was a bit disappointed, but worth a watch.

Old 09-05-2006, 08:10 PM

silent hill 2 stars out of 4 too long and too much irrelevant stuff gooooood visual effects
Old 09-05-2006, 08:54 PM

Dance Of The Drunk Mantis: 7.5/10
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance: 8/10
12 Angry Men: 10/10
Fearless: 7.5/10
Little Miss Sunshine: 9/10
Capturing The Friedmans: 7.5/10
Scary Movie 4: 4/10

Currently in the middle of The Life Aquatic, Man On Fire, The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, True Grit, Ninja Checkmate and Drunken Master. I also have like 582367 others I need to watch.
Old 09-05-2006, 09:01 PM

Green Street Hooligans - A great presentation of non-stylized street violence mixed in with London Cockney rhyming slang. Starring Elijah Wood (Lord of the Rings) as the unassuming American who learns to respect himself by bashing some yobbo over the head with a club. It tends to lose perspective of itself towards the end, but it still has a great soundtrack and makes for a great watch.

7/10
Old 09-05-2006, 09:08 PM

Night Watch 7/10 - Russian movie based on the best selling Russian novel of recent memory. THe book is wonderful, the movie is quite good, but has some problems. It is more or less a horror movie with surprisingly good production values. I found many of the visuals to be inventive (check out the way they use the subtitles as a visual effect) and the acting to be very good. The story and the plot was sometimes tough to follow, and it needed a better editor. Strangely many of the sequences reminded me of Requiem for a Dream. Well worth a watch and I am looking forward to the sequel.
Old 09-05-2006, 09:10 PM

Layer Cake- 8/10 pretty good. I had to rewind a bit because I couldn't understand the British accent in a few parts.

Crank- 10/10 awesome. never had this much fun during a movie before.

Little Miss Sunshine 4/10 ugh. went to see this because the reviews were so great. wasn't funny enough to be a comedy and there was nothing to this film. the TYPICAL indie film except that this one pretty much is stuff from other movies thrown together under a "Little Miss Sunshine" title.

The Score- 9/10 had tivo record this because I was bored. I was surprised... great thriller. Gets reaaally tense at the end.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:02 AM

Videodrome (David Cronenberg, 1983) - sci-fi/horror James Woods, Deborah Harry - 6.5/10

I've heard this recommended so many times, and finally watched it last night.

Played by James Wood, Max Renn is the controversial president of Channel 83, a small TV station specializing in erotic and violent content. His employee discovers a pirated encoded signal broadcasting torture scenes called videodrome. Max and his new girlfriend watch videodrome together, entering a world of sadomasochistic fantasies. The line between fantasy and reality becomes blurred as Max discovers videodrome is actually a hallucination-inducing, brain altering experiment.

Videodrome is a darkly funny satire on the media notion of TV causing violence. Or perhaps it's not satire, but a warning? The makeup and special effects are pretty cool. I'm probably missing something, but I'm not seeing where the legedary status some give this comes from.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:51 AM

Last night i watched

The Wicker Man (2006) - I havent seen the original, and have a feeling i'd hate this new american remake if i had. But as i was a wicker man virgin i'd say that this new one is ok. good story but a few plot holes, bit too american though. Nicholas Cage is pretty solid. 5.5/10

Forrest Gump - I love this film, so engrossing, such brilliant characters. 10/10
Old 09-10-2006, 11:03 PM

If there's interest, I'll keep bumping this as an alternative for full reviews.

Coffee and Cigarettes (Jim Jarmusch, 2003) - comedy - Steve Buscemi, Roberto Benigni, Tom Waits, Steven Wright, Bill Murray - 7.5/10

Enjoyable collection of black and white vignettes, made over a 17 year period, with quirky characters and bizarre, partially improvised dialogue. Found each short amusing, and some really funny. I didn't even know Bill Murray made an appearance; his bit in Delirium with the hip hop artists is hilarious. Also loved the improvised roadside doctor excuse Tom Waits gave to Iggy Pop for being late. If you like this, be sure to check out Night on Earth (1991).

Match Point (Woody Allen, 2005) - thriller - Jonathan Rhys Meyers, Scarlett Johansson 7/10

Well crafted film, much more enjoyable than I expected after hearing so many negative comments. It is unnecessarily long IMO, but the last 25 minutes or so are a total adrenaline rush.

Dr. Strangelove (Stanley Kubrick, 1964) - comedy - Peter Sellers, George C. Scott - 10/10

The best comedy thread inspired me to rewatch this classic - possibly the greatest comedy of all time. Peter Sellers and George Scott are hysterical. One new thing I caught this time: towards the end when Dr Strangelove's hand is going crazy you can see the Russian ambassador start to crack up. Was reading the trivia and found it hilarious that Slim Pickens didn't know it was a comedy.

Memorable Quote: "But, but, he'll see everything! He'll see the Big Board!"

Lost Highway (David Lynch, 1997) - thriller - Bill Pullman, Patricia Arquette, Balthazar Getty, Robert Blake, Robert Loggia - 9/10

Finally got around to watching this Lynch insanity trip. For the next couple hours I couldn't stop trying to dissect it. Patricia Arquette is gorgeous and her performance is truly outstanding. Robert Loggia is perfect as Mr. Eddy, and Robert Blake's brief appearances are haunting. The soundtrack is also awesome.