Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2006, 07:11 PM

Default Re: jury duty

Do your duty or pay the fine, dont lie to get out of it.
Old 08-27-2006, 07:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do your duty or pay the fine, dont lie to get out of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

shocking that you would fall into this camp deaner

samo: only time i got called i was allowed to defer it for up to a year, so i did, and never heard from them again as i moved like three times during that year.

NT
Old 08-27-2006, 07:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just do your civic duty. Tear yourself away from your monitors, crawl out of your basement, and go do what you're supposed to do. The social interaction with actual live human beings will do you good.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ugh. Your posts are an overopinionated, uninformed poison on this fine forum.
Old 08-27-2006, 07:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is this the kind of thing that I can tell the judge or jury commisioner that I am self-employed as a poker player and be able to get out of? If so, it is likely that the judge will grant me a hardship release?

[/ QUOTE ]

This would be hilarious if you tried, but I don't recommend it. If there is a jury questionaire, and you put down "Professional Poker Player" under occupation, I can pretty much guarantee you that you won't be picked.
Old 08-27-2006, 09:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
find out what the trial is about. if its a rape case, say your sister was raped. if its a drug case, say you used to sell drugs, etc. basically just make it so there is no way they would want you on the jury

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly . . . this is somewhat common sense. Defense attorneys don't want someone who will be partial towards the prosecution. They don't check into the facts behind your lies.
Old 08-27-2006, 09:20 PM

all,

Why is it his civic duty?
Old 08-28-2006, 12:18 AM

samo, depending on what kind of trial it is, chances are you'll be passed over anyhow based on being intelligent and logical. The defendant's lawyers generally want idiots to serve on the jury so that they'll be able to appeal to their emotions rather than objectivity, and they have the power to veto potential jurors on whatever grounds they want. (this probably will work better in a civil case)

So, just go in there and show them that you're an intelligent person perfectly capable of doing the job, and you're off the hook! Isn't America great!
Old 08-28-2006, 12:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I just got a summons for jury duty. I am concerned about a worst case scenario in which I will be selected and tied up with a trial for several weeks or longer, thereby losing a tremendous amount of income. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Is this the kind of thing that I can tell the judge or jury commisioner that I am self-employed as a poker player and be able to get out of? If so, it is likely that the judge will grant me a hardship release? ... I really need to have a good idea as to the answers BEFORE I go in, because if there is a real possibility of me being tied up in jury duty for a while, I need to consider the alternative of skipping it and paying a $5000 fine.

I would appreciate any knowledgeable advice on the subject.

Thanks,
Samo

[/ QUOTE ]

My sister was called to be a part of the Air India jury a couple of years ago. It was supposed to be an O.J. year-long kind of thing. She got pregnant to avoid having to do it, but then they decided on a trial by judge. I wonder if they will ever tell my niece?

I would suggest saying that you feel that all people who are on trial are guilty. This should do it. Or get pregnant.

Pufchamp
Old 08-28-2006, 09:31 AM

theres a simple way to get out of this. sometime when they are asking you questions tell them something along the lines of 'I can usually tell when people are lying...'
Old 08-28-2006, 09:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My sister was called to be a part of the Air India jury a couple of years ago. It was supposed to be an O.J. year-long kind of thing. She got pregnant to avoid having to do it, but then they decided on a trial by judge. I wonder if they will ever tell my niece?

[/ QUOTE ]
The good old jury dismissal by pregnancy. If I had a dime for ever time I heard that one...I'd have ten cents.